VIDEO: Utapao to Pattaya Motorway update June 2018

Jonathan Fairfield

Flying out of U Tapao last Friday morning headed north and it looks like there's still plenty left to do in hooking up the sweeping turn parallel to the railroad tracks at the southeast end.

The google earth imagery of the southeast end has a September 2017 date stamp and it looked very similar to the appended last weekend. The imagery to the northwest and the Pattaya bypass hasn't been updated since April 2015 so it's a 'road to nowhere' right now as far as ge is concerned.

1592437955_southeastend.jpg.6dc352070c9d3b95c1c5ede6382c8b8e.jpg

• Like 1

OP the video comes up as being "Video Unavailable  Sorry this video could not be played" When I click "Learn More" it goes to Facebook in Thai. Not the first time. 

If the only way is to log in to Facebook then it is not going to happen. Any other suggestions to view this or other videos?

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, topt said:

OP the video comes up as being "Video Unavailable  Sorry this video could not be played" When I click "Learn More" it goes to Facebook in Thai. Not the first time. 

If the only way is to log in to Facebook then it is not going to happen. Any other suggestions to view this or other videos?

How complicated it is to create a fake account like anybody smart in this world...

Yesterday I actually drove my pickup a distance of about 10 - 15 kilometers from the 331 road to Hua Yai Rd.......... One side is 100% done and the other side has just one or two spots still pouring conctete for lanes.... all overpasses seem done....... Just a bit more on the lanes...... I drove it just after 6 PM when most working was done...... I have followed workers driving on it before...........

I can also remember when they first opened the 7 motorway from Bangkok to Pattaya years ago....... The contractors saved so much money building it by paying-off the Gov't inspectors and pouring thin concrete rather than  strong lanes that the truck lanes were impassable in many places and new construction/repair was began within just weeks of opening....... Let's see if the same happens here......

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, IAMHERE said:

Ok Then, a guessing game as to 'what' the excuse for not opening as predicted will be. I'm guessing too much rain and ghosts.

I'm guessing you are a 'hater' who is more than likely never gonna use the road anyway but just like a bash!

I flew over in Jan when it was coming on apace. I am flying over again tomorrow and will have a far greater interest in it as it will benefit ME in the very near future..

• Sad 1

7 hours ago, topt said:

Try this:

https://en-gb.facebook.com/simon.ditchburn/videos/10155751851070819

If you start the video a "login to facebook" popup might appear.

If so click on "Not now" at the very bottom.

Setup video quality with the cogwheel and click on the fullscreen symbol.

Tell me if it works.

Edited by KhunBENQ

1 hour ago, grkt said:

How complicated it is to create a fake account like anybody smart in this world...

Unavoidable in the long run.

I did so just to be able viewing some content from two real friends and all the stuff/crap in rest of world.

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

Try this:

Tell me if it works.

Thanks KhunBENQ, it played in Chrome but would not get going in Brave, IE and Firefox.

No info on the more southern parts. Good video but how many times can you show one flyover and the approaches. As said I can see the progress from the Pattaya end just driving by. But judging from this video the links and overpasses are still needing work but I am positive for a mid 2019 opening from Patters to Ban Chang.

Thanks for the limited update

15 hours ago, Psimbo said:

I'm guessing you are a 'hater' who is more than likely never gonna use the road anyway but just like a bash!

I flew over in Jan when it was coming on apace. I am flying over again tomorrow and will have a far greater interest in it as it will benefit ME in the very near future..

Sure, I don't mind being labeled a 'hater'; but, if an excuse does appear explaining a delay then I am gonna request to be moved to the 'lover' column. Fair ?

Try this:

Tell me if it works.

Says you need to login for me, using Firefox on mobile phone [emoji30]

Edit works with Chrome !

What delay? the road's due for official opening in 2020

looks like they'd have 'unofficial' opening as soon as next year

The only delay I see if that their contract only allows hiring of staff for the toll booths and such specifies a date 'not before' they won't be able to connect to the existing motorway yet as it is now a 'closed' system and they need to collect tolls from cars coming all the way from Bangkok. Normally they'd let people on the 'finished' road for free, but they can't let cars coming from the existing hwy7 within the paid section exit through the new road without paying. 

So they need to have all the booths and equipment installed and manned even though the road's finished before they could connect to the existing hwy7.

We might see a situation where the road will look finished but the entrance blocked off and only the locals use it as shortcuts for a while.

I remembered when the 7 extension from 36 to Pattaya was first finished but was not opened, if you squeeze through the concrete barriers, you can make it as far as Nong Prue exit where the exit tolls are now

• Like 1

• 10 months later...
5 hours ago, Toshiba66 said:

Has this opened to Ban Chang now anyone?

I Travel the areas from the Motorway 7 junction (above Pattaya) which seems completely finished and I travel the areas south of Pattaya on my way to Ban Chang...... All along the route at places i watched for a long while... There is no further construction (or even 'grass planting') going on............ BUT...... The end/terminus where it ends/connects to Hiway 3 (Sukhumvit road at Ban Chang).

There they are building a magnificent Overpass/ connector which appears to have had the job 'started' a year too late.......

As I watch the progress on the last bit....... My estimate (Possibly far from accurate) would be for an opening 4 to 6 months from now...... They seem in the last month (as I observe and wait anxiously) to be moving rapidly on that last bit...... Maybe they have moved men and equipment from the 'finished areas' and really working frantically to finish 'that last bit'........

EDITED TO ADD.................

Even if they do finish it all in my estimated time they may wait for the next 'coronation' Or 'Kings birthday' to open it........ LOL ...... TIT ........

Edited by sawadeeken
add a line
  • Like 1

I will bump this thread with a couple Youtube videos I found from a channel called KD. They do updates on Thai highway construction. All in Thai so have someone that is a Thai speaker handy. The quick videos are informative. I post 2 here about the motorway at the Ban Chang end.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXTHZOL45vQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iIqxv2h4jes