Tourists harassed by police on Koh Phangan, road blocks, piss tests, dogs search

hi,

Friend just sent me a message that it cost him 10000 thb on the spot to have his positive test forgotten...

He was driving a scooter and was stopped at a roadblock.

So it seems that they never stop making money there ?!

Anyway better than having to go to court and have his passport kept for weeks.

I really hope that cops will be starving when weed will be legalized.

Lets get this straight- a guy bribes his way out of an offence and its bad that they caught him breaking the law in the first place? 

Where do the dogs in your title come into it and how is a roadblock 'harassment'?

I go through police checks all the time and don't feel 'harassed'. Mind you- I'm not doing anything wrong.

16 hours ago, Psimbo said:

Lets get this straight- a guy bribes his way out of an offence and its bad that they caught him breaking the law in the first place? 

Where do the dogs in your title come into it and how is a roadblock 'harassment'?

I go through police checks all the time and don't feel 'harassed'. Mind you- I'm not doing anything wrong.

It is harassment when it is not in their official capacity. That is, they are looking to extort people rather than enforce the law. The last thing they want is to arrest and process these people.

You should also wonder why they are enforcing the law, when they are behind the supply of the drug. All the dealers are well known to the RTP so it shouldn't be difficult to shut down the supply...

If this doesn't hassle you then why bother to post? Just to prove you are somehow morally superior?

18 hours ago, grkt said:

Friend just sent me a message that it cost him 10000 thb on the spot to have his positive test forgotten...

Would be a lot cheaper for your friend when a test is negative – something to remember in the future...?

23 minutes ago, khunPer said:

Would be a lot cheaper for your friend when a test is negative – something to remember in the future...?

Only one problem with this - if they want to catch someone the test will be positive, regardless...

Corruption is always the greater evil. If the RTP wasn't corrupt to the core then the drug problem would be far less severe.

The only effective policing on these islands is by the army. There is no buying your way out of a trumped up charge with them.

And lets not forget, as countries such as Canada wake up from a self inflicted stupor over drugs, that more people will realise that weed in particular is only dangerous in the minds of paranoid people that believe everything their govt feeds them. Such people have in most cases never tried the drug and so only belch out other peoples paranoia, dating back to the 60's.

Hardly worth wasting one's time arguing with a closed mind eh?

tell your friend that is how things work here.  you get busted, you pay the fine.  at least you don't have to spend the night in a cell.  there may be 'fake positives' from time to time but i have a feeling the police catch enough folks with 'real positives' that they don't really need to fake it to keep the fine money rolling in.

1 hour ago, ParadiseLost said:

Only one problem with this - if they want to catch someone the test will be positive, regardless...

Anyone heard about this happening at Koh Phangan and Koh Samui..?

Well dont do drugs. Simple really

plus becareful making accusations that you can’t back up. “‘Oh my mate said it so it must be true “

her er so much BS from people talking like that.

having an opiate in your body could be a problem if your using pain killers 

if so I would carry a doctor medical receipt with you if your out. 

Also problem is at the moment is that deportation at the moment is rife so becareful 

54 minutes ago, BigC said:

Funny admitting to breaking the law then complains about being punished 

Some still haven't got the message.

And getting away with 10k is a good "deal".

And 10k is an official number for DUI.

Just that it usually goes through court.

An acquaintance was caught in Pattaya over the alc. limit (> 50mg/l) on a Friday afternoon. He was arrested at the police station.

Bail set to 20k which he did not have at hand.

Fortunately he could reach a friend who lend him the missing amount.

So got free with a court appearance on Monday.

Fine 10k and as far as I know he now has a criminal record.

20 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

Some still haven't got the message.

And getting away with 10k is a good "deal".

And 10k is an official number for DUI.

Just that it usually goes through court.

An acquaintance was caught in Pattaya over the alc. limit (> 50mg/l) on a Friday afternoon. He was arrested at the police station.

Bail set to 20k which he did not have at hand.

Fortunately he could reach a friend who lend him the missing amount.

So got free with a court appearance on Monday.

Fine 10k and as far as I know he now has a criminal record.

How can he be  caught during afternoon ? They do not check alcohol in afternoon.

And he had no money to pay on the spot ?

On ‎6‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 3:47 PM, ParadiseLost said:

It is harassment when it is not in their official capacity. That is, they are looking to extort people rather than enforce the law. The last thing they want is to arrest and process these people.

You should also wonder why they are enforcing the law, when they are behind the supply of the drug. All the dealers are well known to the RTP so it shouldn't be difficult to shut down the supply...

If this doesn't hassle you then why bother to post? Just to prove you are somehow morally superior?

Most people know that it's not a good idea to use illegal drugs in LOS, and anyone that is stupid enough to do so here deserves to be inconvenienced, IMO.

This thread seems to have been written from the viewpoint that it's OK to break the law in a country with police that will take the opportunity to take money off lawbreakers, and somehow it's the police's fault for using the law to penalise such people.

I would have sympathy if drugs were planted to fit someone up, but that does not appear to be the case here.

Would the OP have been happier if his friend ended up in jail instead?

It is harassment when it is not in their official capacity.

Their official capacity is whatever they decide to make it. Anyone that doesn't understand that and wants to break the law shouldn't visit LOS.

If one doesn't want to take the chance of paying out 10,000 baht to get off a criminal conviction and being banged up, one shouldn't use illegal drugs in LOS, PERIOD.

22 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Most people know that it's not a good idea to use illegal drugs in LOS, and anyone that is stupid enough to do so here deserves to be inconvenienced, IMO.

This thread seems to have been written from the viewpoint that it's OK to break the law in a country with police that will take the opportunity to take money off lawbreakers, and somehow it's the police's fault for using the law to penalise such people.

I would have sympathy if drugs were planted to fit someone up, but that does not appear to be the case here.

Would the OP have been happier if his friend ended up in jail instead?

It is harassment when it is not in their official capacity.

Their official capacity is whatever they decide to make it. Anyone that doesn't understand that and wants to break the law shouldn't visit LOS.

If one doesn't want to take the chance of paying out 10,000 baht to get off a criminal conviction and being banged up, one shouldn't use illegal drugs in LOS, PERIOD.

If one pays on the spot and is it happy then they can always ask the police to book them, finger print them and send them to jail

some people say they don’t consider weed to be illegal but it is illegal

be decret if you have to do it but you have to take repsonsabilty if your Caught 

27 minutes ago, grkt said:

Idiot law are made for idiots, not for people with a brain.

I am happy that people break the law in Thailand until these stupid rules will be forgotten.

Regardless the stupidity of the law those with brains get caught too.

The law is actually reasonable regarding weed....along similar lines to the UK at least.

You are unlikely to get more than a slap on the wrist unless you are dealing it.

The problem most tourists who are caught face is the long wait for the court appearance with the passport confiscated.

39 minutes ago, RonniePickering22 said:

Regardless the stupidity of the law those with brains get caught too.

The law is actually reasonable regarding weed....along similar lines to the UK at least.

You are unlikely to get more than a slap on the wrist unless you are dealing it.

The problem most tourists who are caught face is the long wait for the court appearance with the passport confiscated.

haha... as if anybody smart and who knows how to deal with problems would go to court...

And you really think that UK laws are reasonable ?

The only reasonable law is Canada law, and luckily all those idiot politi$hit of the world will know it soon, because voters will send them to where they belong: the trash.

10 hours ago, grkt said:

haha... as if anybody smart and who knows how to deal with problems would go to court...

And you really think that UK laws are reasonable ?

The only reasonable law is Canada law, and luckily all those idiot politi$hit of the world will know it soon, because voters will send them to where they belong: the trash.

You make the mistake of assuming I think such laws are morally correct. I don't but if you are going to have stupid laws they aren't as harsh as some other countries around the world.

On 7/7/2018 at 11:48 PM, grkt said:

Idiot law are made for idiots, not for people with a brain.

I am happy that people break the law in Thailand until these stupid rules will be forgotten.

Sounds like your the idiot then

I reckon weed should be illegal. Anyone who doesn’t should look at how many phycoses cases in hospital nearly all from smoking weed.

About 80% and they still defend the drug

if it was so good then why are they now mentally ill

also weed turns people into boring soppy people 

good deal really getting caught on the gear and being able to pay the heat off  at a princely sum of 400 aussies dollars instead of doing up to 45 days in remand and all the dramas that go will being kept at his majesty's pleasure  come on give me the bent copper any day

23 minutes ago, murrinman said:

good deal really getting caught on the gear and being able to pay the heat off  at a princely sum of 40 aussies dollars instead of doing up to 45 days in remand and all the dramas that go will being kept at his majesty's pleasure  come on give me the bent copper any day

Ya missed a zero - 

10,000 Thai Baht equals
404.99 Australian Dollar

Archived