U.S. District Court Judge bars separation of immigrants from children, orders reunification

webfact

Judge bars separation of immigrants from children, orders reunification

2018-06-27T032115Z_1_LYNXMPEE5Q096_RTROPTP_3_USA-IMMIGRATION-MEDIA-VISIT.JPG

FILE PHOTO: Immigrant children now housed in a tent encampment under the new "zero tolerance" policy by the Trump administration are shown walking in single file at the facility near the Mexican border in Tornillo, Texas, U.S. June 19, 2018. REUTERS/Mike Blake/File Photo

(Reuters) - A federal judge on Tuesday ruled that U.S. immigration agents could no longer separate immigrant parents and children caught crossing the border from Mexico illegally, and must work to reunite those families that had been split up in custody.

United States District Court Judge Dana Sabraw granted the American Civil Liberties Union a preliminary injunction in a lawsuit filed over the family separations.

More than 2,300 migrant children were separated from their parents after the Trump administration began a "zero tolerance" policy in early May, seeking to prosecute all adults who crossed the border illegally, including those traveling with children.

The ACLU had sued on behalf of a mother and her then 6-year-old daughter, who were separated after arriving last November in the United States to seek asylum and escape religious persecution in Democratic Republic of Congo.

While they were reunited in March, the ACLU is pursuing class-action claims on behalf of other immigrants.

Trump issued an executive order to end the family separations on June 20, but the government has yet to reunite about 2,000 children with their parents.

Before the preliminary injunction ruling, the U.S. government urged Sabraw not to require that it stop separating and quickly reunite migrant families after they illegally cross the U.S.-Mexico border, saying President Donald Trump's executive order last week "largely" addressed those goals.

(Reporting by Jonathan Stempel in New York, Dan Whitcomb in Los Angeles and Brendan O'Brien in Milwaukee; Editing by Frances Kerry and Michael Perry)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2018-06-27

18 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

The only way to reunite unaccompanied children would be to deport them back to where their parents are. However, it seems the US can't deport children, and I doubt the government is going to allow the parents to move to the US to be with the kids.

No it wouldn’t.

But you’d have to give up your attachment that these are dangerous criminals that must be caged before you can see all alternatives.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

I doubt there is anyone here in Thailand who is not following the news reports of the 13 children lost in a cave network.

Visiting two temples this week I witnessed Thai people offering prayers and merit for the safety of the children and the success of their rescuers finding them alive.

The heartbreaking images of their mothers, fathers, siblings suffering the agony of not knowing where their loved ones are or if they are safe.

The fear of the children lost in the cave is beyond imagination.

If there is any good in this, surely it is the outpouring of love and sympathy from the wider community, the whole nation transfixed with this real life drama of fear, loss, not knowing.

Back in TVF land we have members going out of their way to avoid even a tiny flake of humanity for thousands of children forcibly separated from their parents at the US border.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 4
  • Haha 1

Common sense prevails. I must admit one of the most haunting images I've seen on YouTube was of a crying toddler being kept from his pleading mother by a guy in uniform. Some sort of historical documentary. Whenever this debate surfaces that image comes to my mind.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

37 minutes ago, nausea said:

Common sense prevails. I must admit one of the most haunting images I've seen on YouTube was of a crying toddler being kept from his pleading mother by a guy in uniform. Some sort of historical documentary. Whenever this debate surfaces that image comes to my mind.

All staged . Using kids to get the bleeding hearts to react , has been done again and again.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, BuaBS said:

All staged . Using kids to get the bleeding hearts to react , has been done again and again.

The one I saw wasn't staged, believe me. But that's all in the past. What's happening now just has resonances.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, sukhumvitneon said:

great so how many illegal migrants to the USA are you taking in?

They actually mlanage quite well on their own.

Trump Administration Rejects Study Showing Positive Impact of Refugees

Trump administration officials, under pressure from the White House to provide a rationale for reducing the number of refugees allowed into the United States next year, rejected a study by the Department of Health and Human Services that found that refugees brought in $63 billion more in government revenues over the past decade than they cost.

The draft report, which was obtained by The New York Times, contradicts a central argument made by advocates of deep cuts in refugee totals as President Trump faces an Oct. 1 deadline to decide on an allowable number. The issue has sparked intense debate within his administration as opponents of the program, led by Mr. Trump’s chief policy adviser, Stephen Miller, assert that continuing to welcome refugees is too costly and raises concerns about terrorism.

• Thanks 1

So I take it the parents and children will be held in jail/detention centers. If the parents cross the border they know what to expect. No surprises. The US should only accept refugee claims from the countries they are leaving. The US should help the countries having that have large numbers of people fleeing to claim refugee status see the light by banning all people from those countries entering the US except for UN/Diplomatic staff. None of the countries wealthy, no politicians, no military. The hisos of the country run the governments and if their travel for business or pleasure to the US is restricted things will change for the better in their countries.

A federal court judge has ruled that the Trump administration has 10 days to reunite all children 5 years old and under and 30 days to reunite the older children.  As usual it's all BS .  !0 days from now when all of the children 5 and under are not reunited, who is going to be charged with contempt of court and put in jail until the total process is complete.   Trump, Sessions, et all, I think not, but I would definitely vote for Steven Miller who started all of this BS with his supremacists ideals.

On 6/27/2018 at 5:06 PM, BuaBS said:

Here’s What I Saw at the Border

The warehouse is enormous, with a solid concrete floor and a high roof. It is filled with cages. Cages for men. Cages for women. Cages for mamas with babies. Cages for girls. Cages for boys.

https://elizabethwarren.com/border-family-separation/

• Haha 1