How to survive out of Thailand Alive in legal way?

14 minutes ago, blorg said:

@VonDutch

I read recently on Reddit an account of a guy who did a year in prison here.

The good news is that he had a load of valium on him and they let him keep it and take it into prison. And he was using that recreationally, he didn't even have a prescription for it, but they let him keep it. So I think they will let you bring in your medication. If you are actually looking at a prison sentence though, I don't know about how you might get more. There are hospitals in the prison system and there is psychiatric care. In theory at least. So hopefully if the worst comes to it you will be able to access that and get a diagnosis and get your meds. Lithium is a cheap medication, as far as I am aware.

The bad news is that his crime was also a really stupid drunk/drug induced theft incident, and if anything even more minor than yours, also by his account "unintentional" but he still ended up doing a year in prison over it.

I think it might be worth reading as it sounds like this guy was in a VERY similar situation to you and he also gave the impression that really key to the whole thing was the initial handling of it, and that if he had handled it better at the start that he might not have ended up in the situation he was in. I'd suggest you register on Reddit if you don't use it and send the guy a personal message to talk about it with him, I think he might have valuable advice for you here.

Good luck!

What's TIFU

A copy of passport by embassy !!

how the op was robbed ?

No information about that ! Reported? We don’t know, But we know a lot about his medical issues.

A great “good night story” for adults.

Edited by The Theory

Lessons to be learned:

1) Don't write a post this long and this complicated. No one has the time to sort it all out.

2) If you are in a bar, and it looks like 6 guys seriously want to thump on you, do not exit the bar. At least in the bar, there will be someone to break up that fight once it starts. And there will be witnesses to what happened. Yes, we know of stories of people getting seriously hurt in the bar, but I think your chances are better inside.

2a) Apologize, and apologize again. Then apologize some more. Then say you are sorry. Often, you can unwind this situation.

3) When it comes time to exit said bar, in said circumstances, use Grab to get a taxi to the door. If Grab is not available, then ask the bar owner to call a taxi to the door. He almost certainly knows a taxi driver. Go from the bar door directly in to the taxi and make sure to get clear of, and far from, the trouble.

4) Once you are truly in the clutches of the police, you better have a fat wallet, and you better start spilling it early. Being cheap at this stage is pointless and likely to be something you regret.

5) Thai lawyers are, more often than not, just as bad as the police. They cannot be trusted, so keep your guard up at all times.

6) When you have wronged a Thai person, as in this supposed case, and they ask for 100,000 baht to ignore what has happened, you are right to attempt negotiation to get that price down. You often can. But pay them to get them out of the picture.

7) When you are getting drunk in a bar in Thailand, especially alone, keep your head down, your hands and opinions to yourself, and pay your bin.

• Like 1

Just came to my mind. He wrote his visa card was also stolen. Did he report it? Some card companies, if not generally any Visa and Mastercard, they will send you some emergency money to survive the next days.

And how did he lost his passport? Possibly the thiefs robbed his whole bag etc.
Another warning always to leave your passport at the hotel.

On 6/27/2018 at 2:27 PM, Nick ZepTepi said:

Good luck, or better luck.

I suggest you Use your time to fully write out your experience, it could be a best seller one day, plus it might help with your medical issues.

Sent from my BND-L21 using Tapatalk

I'll wait until the story comes out in hardback.

I don't have a lot of advice for your situation. But I do know that you should not give 100000 baht to the lawyer or the police. This money should be paid directly to the court by you and only you. You will recieve a proper receipt and documentation. In addition, again my information is not complete. If you have to stay in Thailand because of a court order or a medical condition, then your visa is exempt. You are not on overstay and don't have to pay. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, SCOTT FITZGERSLD said:

don't you get it? he is brain damaged. he can't think clear. he is on pills.

all YOUR advices make sense - but his sense is damaged.

can't you feel it from his post? 

his problem was not getting drunk  - his problem is psychological, he admits it and explain it.

what he should so is leave thailand ASAP. 

do your best and all you can to leave thailand.

what you had to do is go to the embassy, tell them you lost your passport,

than with the new passport fly right away out of the country !!

this should be your focus. 

you must leave thailand immidiately and go back to your home country ASAP

He doesn't get a new passport, you need a police report for that. the police won't give it as they know he needs to go to court.

Just now, FritsSikkink said:

He doesn't get a new passport, you need a police report for that. the police won't give it as they know he needs to go to court.

He could Go to a small bkk police station and probably get it and they wouldn't be aware of the fight in Chang mai yet

1 minute ago, Khun Jean said:

Computers that are linked will make sure the Police in Chiang Mai will know that you try to report a stolen passport in Bangkok adding another crime.

I didn't tell him to report it as stolen 

Summarising some helpful insights towards the OP situation:

If he reports his stolen visa card he can get replacement within 3 days

Since there is a court order and / or his medical conditions, the visa is exempt. Therefore no overstay and detention center.

If he goes to a hospital and get a document that confirms his mental illness quite sure he doesn't have to stay in jail until court date.

As someone stated already, because of his mental illness he's exaggerated and can't put 1+1 together.
Wish him good luck!

Note. .

You should be careful as the lawyer has you on a hook and looks set to real in 100000. You can't pay bail directly to the police, it must go through the court and they must present you to the court. 

I think you will be scammed. 

My question is, have you actually seen the warrant and charge. If you post it on here blank out the name. I can read it for you. Because if you haven't been charged then the bail cannot be set. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, SCOTT FITZGERSLD said:

don't you get it? he is brain damaged. he can't think clear. he is on pills.

all YOUR advices make sense - but his sense is damaged.

can't you feel it from his post? 

his problem was not getting drunk  - his problem is psychological, he admits it and explain it.

what he should so is leave thailand ASAP. 

do your best and all you can to leave thailand.

what you had to do is go to the embassy, tell them you lost your passport,

than with the new passport fly right away out of the country !!

this should be your focus. 

you must leave thailand immidiately and go back to your home country ASAP

Your advice is spot on. My "lessons learned" were meant for the benefit of others.

Sadly, with the evidence that you suggest, I doubt the OP can manage the exit on his own.

2 hours ago, VonDutch said:

Not in this case. Ask many times.

7 hours ago, soalbundy said:

Next year you will laugh about this.....just not now, in the end it will be alright, you have used up 10 years of bad luck.

Thanks for support!

7 hours ago, greenchair said:

Note. .

You should be careful as the lawyer has you on a hook and looks set to real in 100000. You can't pay bail directly to the police, it must go through the court and they must present you to the court. 

I think you will be scammed. 

My question is, have you actually seen the warrant and charge. If you post it on here blank out the name. I can read it for you. Because if you haven't been charged then the bail cannot be set. 

The biggest challenge to do any good survival plan is that also "official" information from people who "know" is every day changing. How you can then plan to do anything when you really don't know what is happening, even professionals don't know or also their information is changing.

I have been example told that I get bail money immediately back after court. Now information is opposite: to bank account after 3-4 weeks. I have been told that about bail, I don't have to go to court to ask it, just show to the police, make the deal, papers, and go 3 weeks on freedom to wait. Now like you said, information again is totally opposite.

This bail money thing seems to be really risky and complicated that I can maybe lose all, so I think I can't take that risk and better wait in jail 3 weeks and try to get medicines anyhow in...

8 hours ago, CLW said:

Summarising some helpful insights towards the OP situation:

If he reports his stolen visa card he can get replacement within 3 days

Since there is a court order and / or his medical conditions, the visa is exempt. Therefore no overstay and detention center.

If he goes to a hospital and get a document that confirms his mental illness quite sure he doesn't have to stay in jail until court date.

As someone stated already, because of his mental illness he's exaggerated and can't put 1+1 together.
Wish him good luck!

Thanks for message.
"If he reports his stolen visa card he can get replacement within 3 days."
I report my stolen Visa ELECTRON to my own bank immediately by online security bank system and they reply that Only change to get it is to make new one in my home country bank main office, where they send it to my home city bank and alter all this, they will send new secret code and card, all this takes 2-3 weeks or more. I trust off course my own bank.

And in that moment, like I already told, my passive income was 30 000 / month and I took it all out before the robbery, because wanted to make sure that I have cash to pay penalty fee. So ifI get new Visa card in 1 minute by VISA emergency helicopter, what I then do with empty bank account?

So in that case, still same challenge: go to court without any legal help, without any money, without any support of information. So, I think that can't take that risk. 

• Like 1