Tuk Tuk Per KM in the AM in Vientiane

Hello TV'ers, 

I am staying in a hotel which is 2.1 km from the Thai Embassy of Laos in Vientiane. The hotel front desk clerk says that it is a flat fee of 250 rmb Baht by either taxi or tuk tuk. This seems unreasonable because conflicting website information suggests that it is 40 or 45 rmb per km. This will be at 7:30 AM. I am wondering what you folks think about that or if you have any experience to contradict or support any of these figures. As an aside, if I were to take a motorcycle, what could I expect to bargain them down to? 

Thank you for any help,

TR

Edited by ThaiRebound
early onset dementia

250 bht is about right. It is a day light robbery what they charge there. Also, they will try to pack the tuk tuk if they can.Real highwaymen those guys. I usually got the price down to 75 bht after haggling with a few of them. You can also walk away and hail one driving by and try to bargain with him. I hate those sons of spayed dogs.

Edited by LazySlipper

I find that the Tuk Tuk drivers in Vientiane always open with 50,000 Kip to go anywhere, just start to walk away and they will shout "how much you pay?"   From downtown, around the fountain area, to the Thai consulate I would offer 100 baht (about 25,000 kip) for  a single passenger use of the tuk tuk, they always have accepted.

BTW, not to be pedantic but the OP says "  I am staying in a hotel which is 2.1 km from the Thai Embassy of Laos in Vientiane."   If you are going to apply for a Thai visa you need to go to the Thai Consulate, which is not in the same place as the Embassy.  However, if you tell the Tuk Tuk " Thai Visa" he will take you to the consulate.

welcome to the land of lying cheating scammers!

its actually called the thai consular section on google maps that where you go for the visas not the thai embassy\

thai consular section on google maps

if you are walking go down this road beside the wat

perhaps also try the buses to get you closer ie to central bus station and walk from there

https://lao.busnavi.asia/?lang=en 

this site had good info on the airport shuttle with current times

http://www.vientianebus.org.la/Airport_Shuttle.html

Edited by despicable alien

3 hours ago, despicable alien said:

welcome to the land of lying cheating scammers!

its actually called the thai consular section on google maps that where you go for the visas not the thai embassy\

thai consular section on google maps

if you are walking go down this road beside the wat

perhaps also try the buses to get you closer ie to central bus station and walk from there

https://lao.busnavi.asia/?lang=en 

this site had good info on the airport shuttle with current times

http://www.vientianebus.org.la/Airport_Shuttle.html

51 minutes ago, Expatthailover said:

Even if you were being 'ripped off' it still wouldnt add up to 10 usd for the return trip.

With all due respect, 250 Baht x 2 = 500 Baht = U.S. $15 > U.S. $10 ?

I happily walk from the river to the embassy. It's not like you have an early start. Set off at 11.45am, and you will easily be there in time. In fact I walk everywhere in Vientiane, the tuk tuks are a rip off, you will save 200 baht by walking, and get some great exercise. Also the tuk tuk drivers can be rude and unpleasant, I just don't want to deal with them. Walking between the river which is the best area to stay, and the embassy is just a stroll to me, I noticed that a lot of other people take this option. Carry an umbrella, useful for the sun, and the rain. 

• Like 1

Hi, why are you going to the consulate so early? If you get there say just before 8 a.m you will be sat for hours in a long ques and probably receive number 100 plus as many of the numbers are "snatched" by the Lao guys waiting outside or by connected hotel staff. My advice is to arrive at the Consulate (not the embassy) around the back of 11 a.m. and you will be in and out in minutes, no hassle. Remember to take a copy of your passport page with the Thai exit/Lao entry stamps or they will make you go and get a copy and possibly set you back in the queue.  If you have time and the legs, I would just walk. Head to the main bus ticketing office facing the Talet Sao. You are on Rue Nongbone and just walk straight down for about 15 minutes - pass the first main intersection Rue Dongpalane. You will then  hit a second intersection: with traffic lights ,on the right hand side is a bank facing a cake shop on the other side of the road, diagonally across is a temple. Take a right at the intersection and follow the road and you will pass some IT and electrical shops and then go over the canal you will see the Pizza company at the street corner and almost immediately across the road is the Thai consulate - the Lao-Singapore college faces the Pizza company. When you have submitted your application, just walk back the way you came. All the best!

I think the consulate opens between 8.30 a.m. and 11.30 a.m. for visa applications. If you are determined to take a tuk tuk, just bargain and you should be able to get  afare of between 20,000 and 25,000 Kip - but don't bargain in front of any other tuk tuk drivers. It helps if you can try and speak some Thai or Lao. Hope you get there ok

12 hours ago, CelticTam said:

Hi, why are you going to the consulate so early? If you get there say just before 8 a.m you will be sat for hours in a long ques and probably receive number 100 plus as many of the numbers are "snatched" by the Lao guys waiting outside or by connected hotel staff. My advice is to arrive at the Consulate (not the embassy) around the back of 11 a.m. and you will be in and out in minutes, no hassle. Remember to take a copy of your passport page with the Thai exit/Lao entry stamps or they will make you go and get a copy and possibly set you back in the queue.  If you have time and the legs, I would just walk. Head to the main bus ticketing office facing the Talet Sao. You are on Rue Nongbone and just walk straight down for about 15 minutes - pass the first main intersection Rue Dongpalane. You will then  hit a second intersection: with traffic lights ,on the right hand side is a bank facing a cake shop on the other side of the road, diagonally across is a temple. Take a right at the intersection and follow the road and you will pass some IT and electrical shops and then go over the canal you will see the Pizza company at the street corner and almost immediately across the road is the Thai consulate - the Lao-Singapore college faces the Pizza company. When you have submitted your application, just walk back the way you came. All the best!

"......you will be sat for hours in a long ques and probably receive number 100 plus as many of the numbers are "snatched" by the Lao guys waiting outside or by connected hotel staff. "

The system changed quite a long while ago, they don't issue queue numbers as you enter now, you receive your number as your receipt when you hand in your passport, the number is for collection of the passport on the afternoon of the following day.  They do not hand out passports until your number is called, queue jumpers are sent back by 'security' who check the ticket numbers of those queuing to get their passports from the window..

one benefit of having a low queue number is you may be able to get to the bridge before the 4pm overtime $1 fee kicks in however this is only theoretical as just because your time piece says it not anywhere near 4pm and the clock on the wall says its not anywhere near 4pm doesnt mean that you will not be demanded to pay the $1 overtime fee, did this to the whole bus most of whom were laos nobody even whimpered
see previous post about welcome to country of lying cheating scammers.

34 minutes ago, despicable alien said:

one benefit of having a low queue number is you may be able to get to the bridge before the 4pm overtime $1 fee kicks in however this is only theoretical as just because your time piece says it not anywhere near 4pm and the clock on the wall says its not anywhere near 4pm doesnt mean that you will not be demanded to pay the $1 overtime fee, did this to the whole bus most of whom were laos nobody even whimpered
see previous post about welcome to country of lying cheating scammers.

and before you go looking for excuses, thai consular section doesnt issue visas on public holidays or weekends

I always walk, I make sure I've got plenty of time and I tend to have breakfast or coffee on my way. I think walking in Vientiane is pleasant enough, unless it's rainy or very hot that is. I never aim to arrive at the consular section early when applying on day #1, I usually arrive at about 10am and can go straight to the paperwork submission table - no queue anymore that late! Obviously that means that I'm called up quite late for pick-up on day #2.

• 1 month later...