Prayut to visit Tham Luang cave in Chiang Rai Friday or Saturday

webfact

Prayut to visit Tham Luang cave tomorrow or Saturday

By Thai PBS

prayut7.jpg

Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha plans to visit  Tham Luang cave in Chiang Rai’s Mae Sai district either tomorrow or on Saturday to meet with families of the 12 footballers and their coach who are being trapped in the cave and to give moral support to teams of rescuers currently on a search and rescue mission, government spokesman Lt Gen Sansern Kaewkamnerd said on Thursday. 

Lt Gen Sansern said Gen Prayut expressed grave concerns over the fate of the missing 13 at yesterday’s cabinet meeting. The prime minister also conveyed to the cabinet His Majesty the King’s concerns over their plight, he added.

The spokesman said Gen Prayut will go to Mae Sai district on either June 29 or 30 to meet the relatives and parents of the missing persons and give moral support to officials on the search and rescue mission at Tham Luang cave as well as to rescue teams from other countries.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/221671-2/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2018-06-28
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, coulson said:

What a media whore. Can he not just leave the pros to get the job done without complicating the scene further.

Winning the hearts and minds of people.. its a military strategy the US tried in Vietnam. He is trying it again come elections (whenever they will be) we will see how successful he was. 

But I can also remember YL visiting the flooding.. all politicians are media whore's and take advantage of things like this. If they don't visit they get flack.. if they visit they get flack.

Edited by robblok
  • Like 1

Maybe he wants to check if the foreign volunteers have work permits or not......:whistling:

I read an earlier article that Thai Airways had flown the English experts over for free..as if it were something quite magnanimous on their behalf...........that is the very least they could have done :blink:

• Like 1

A show of compassion etc by a thai leader again has been hijacked by the haters. The population expected him to go. Thais that is ..not 'others'

In any remotely similar tragic event in the world the leader would end up .

Because it's thailand the usual suspects have to have a go.

What is he doing that is wrong.

What has he done.

All politicians tell lies and have huge egos.

The whole world expected trump to get involved in the florida school shooting.

Should he have kept quiet?

If an expat population started moaning groaning and sneering in good old back home during abtragic event how would some of you lot take it?

Edited by Expatthailover
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, BangkokSausage said:

Disgusting thing to say and using a tragedy yourself to push your own agenda
Would you rather he sat at home with a few cold ones surfing TV?

When there's an ongoing rescue operation, yes. He and his entourage will just get in the way.

Visiting a community after a tragedy has occurred is a different ballgame and comforting to many people, regardless of how they feel about that head of state.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, BangkokSausage said:

Get in the way of what? The kids are deep in a cave! You think he will trip over an extension chord and destroy the rescue?

It's shocking that expats are using this awful tragedy as a platform to bash Prayuth.

Proof that Thailand attracts the lowest class of expats!

Supplies coming in, for example. He definitely won't rescue them.  At best it will be a net zero effect.

Someone disagrees with you, big deal.  Take a chill pill.

• Like 1

Supplies coming in, for example. He definitely won't rescue them.  At best it will be a net zero effect.

Someone disagrees with you, big deal.  Take a chill pill.
A general with extensive training in search and rescue is going to stand there and block " supplies"

I have no problem with debate but you don't appear to be to bright so it pointless.

Show some respect for the families. There spirits will be lifted knowing the head of the army is there for support.

9 minutes ago, BangkokSausage said:

A general with extensive training in search and rescue is going to stand there and block " supplies"

I have no problem with debate but you don't appear to be to bright so it pointless.

Show some respect for the families. There spirits will be lifted knowing the head of the army is there for support.

Nothing to do with respect.  You have no idea how I feel about the families.   Assuming anything is not "to" bright.

I'm still hoping.

Screenshot_20180628-182539.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BangkokSausage said:

Get in the way of what? The kids are deep in a cave! You think he will trip over an extension chord and destroy the rescue?

It's shocking that expats are using this awful tragedy as a platform to bash Prayuth.

Proof that Thailand attracts the lowest class of expats!

The only reason I bashed him was because the press described him as the prime

minister and not the correct description which is junta non elected prime minister. But I agree this is sad times and I pray for the kids. 

Worried Prayut flying to cave site today to encourage families and rescue mission

By JAKRAWAN SALAYTOO, 
SURIYA PATATHAYO 
THE NATION

af9602d547f6d0e76c5f496617fd273e.jpeg

Thai Deputy National Police Chief Srivara Rangsi-prammanaku (R, below) sits in a police car as he arrives in the area near the entrance of a cave during the rescue operation for missing football players and their coach at the Tham Luang cave.EPA-EFE

PRIME MINISTER General Prayut Chan-o-cha will fly to Chiang Rai today to give encouragement to families and relatives of the 12 teen footballers and their assistant coach who have been trapped for days in a flooded cave in Mae Sai district, as well as to those officers, rescue workers and volunteers in the ongoing search and rescue operation.

The premier, worrying over the safety of the trapped youths, is scheduled to fly from the military airport in Don Muang district to the northern province at 7am, Government Spokesman Maj-General Sansern Kaewkamnerd said yesterday.

1f7f569fb83524580b271853093e9f9b.jpeg

Prayut wished to avoid distracting officials and workers from their duties, said Sansern, and so does not want a welcoming reception at the airport nor presentation of exclusive reports, said Sansern. 

“If the premier has some questions, he would ask the officials himself,” Sansern said. He said the premier thanks the media for giving importance to this case and for keeping the public updated. Prayut also urges the media at the scene to follow the officials’ instructions, said Sansern. 

e30d1a35a05ebc70d13683583e954d50.jpeg

Meanwhile national police Pol General Chakthip Chaijinda said he would fly to Chiang Rai later yesterday, along with Royal Thai Air Force chief ACM Jom Rungsawang and Chief of Defence Forces General Thanchaiyan Srisuwan to follow progress in the cave search operation.

Deputy National Police Chiefs Pol General Chalermkiat Srivorakhan and Pol General Veerachai Songmetta, went to Chiang Rai on Tuesday to observe the mission, and Deputy National Police Commissioner Pol General Srivara Ransibrahmanakul followed suit the following day.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/national/30348870

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-06-29

Theresa May (the British PM) was forced to make a public apology for NOT going to visit the victims and families of Grenfell Tower as soon as it was understood that it was a major tragedy.

I do think that high political figures can give moral support and a certain amount of comfort, and assure the “ordinary” folk that things are being taken seriously.

1 hour ago, tomta said:

Perhaps you're right, Phil but what useful job can the chief of the air force do there?

I can’t confess to knowing the agenda of the Chief of the Air Force, two Deputy National Police Chiefs…

But if I can use Grenfell Tower as an example again, there was every make, model, colour and shade of political bods swarming around, pointing out just how devastating it was, and offering crumbs of comfort to those affected. I didn’t see every single news report, but I don’t remember any criticism of them.

Yeah Ok, I do appreciate that Thailand is a tiddly bit different, but a high-up Mucky-Muck coming to talk to you in a time of distress, can be a bit of a comfort.

This isn't combatative mode – as a few other postings - but just saying that every-day folk can be comforted a bit by seeing those in high positions appearing to take an interest.

Edited by PhilAtUbon
Formatting

Why so many peoples use disgraces like that as publicity platform? Let the rescue peoples do their work, how many thousands of peoples are already there? For what? Just to disturb the real rescue worker!

• Like 2

Prayut certainly can provide a degree of comfort to the families and encouragement to the rescuers. But if anyone has apprehensions about his visit, it is well grounded. We all know that the phu yai likes to zero in on photo ops (the odious Chalerm was an expert at it) and turn the attention on himself/herself. There's no guarantee that Prayut will no do this. I estimate that there's a 90% chance that he will use the occasion to "direct" operations - that is, he will hold a press conference at which he will utter the words "I have suggested to the rescuers ....:. With emphasis on "I" to indicate that he is the important figure at that particular time. I hope I'm wrong.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1