Prayut to visit Tham Luang cave in Chiang Rai Friday or Saturday

webfact

1 hour ago, PhilAtUbon said:

I can’t confess to knowing the agenda of the Chief of the Air Force, two Deputy National Police Chiefs…

But if I can use Grenfell Tower as an example again, there was every make, model, colour and shade of political bods swarming around, pointing out just how devastating it was, and offering crumbs of comfort to those affected. I didn’t see every single news report, but I don’t remember any criticism of them.

Yeah Ok, I do appreciate that Thailand is a tiddly bit different, but a high-up Mucky-Muck coming to talk to you in a time of distress, can be a bit of a comfort.

This isn't combatative mode – as a few other postings - but just saying that every-day folk can be comforted a bit by seeing those in high positions appearing to take an interest.

I agree.  I think there’s some measure of public “optics” in play... I ALSO think there’s always going to be some “damned if you do, damned if you don’t” as well... there’s always some who will criticize and say that for the head of state or similar level folks, to come is a zero value-added scenario and maybe even a nett negative by way of diverting resources away from the event and to the high officials visit... and to that end, I think there’s some measure of truth to this... but... I also think that when in such role as a high official, “optics” matter and being seen there tends to send the right optical message...

In the end, so long as no meaningful amount of rescues reaources are diverted away, I think the PMs visit is the right thing to do — again given that he is a high official. 

PM to visit rescue site in Chiang Rai

PNSOC610628001000205.jpg

BANGKOK, 29th June 2018, (NNT) - The Prime Minister is to visit Tham Luang cave in Chiang Rai today (June 29) to give moral support to the families of the victims and rescuers. 

According to Spokesperson of the Prime Minister’s Office Lt. Gen. Sansern Kaewkumnerd, Prime Minister General Prayut Chan-o-cha has expressed his deep concern over the 12 youths and their football coach being trapped inside Tham Luang cave in Mae Sai district of Chiang Rai, after learning about the latest report and the difficulty of the rescue mission from Interior Minister General Anupong Paochinda. 

He said the Prime Minister will visit the site today and has specifically instructed official not to prepare a welcoming party but to remain focused on the mission. He said General Prayut wishes to give the rescuers and the families of the missing teenagers encouragement personally. The spokesperson said the Prime Minister will be briefed on the latest situation and hear feedback from officials and related personnel. 

Lt. Gen. Sansern also dismissed the rumor that the Chiang Rai Provincial Administrative Organization has dispatched officials to maintain the road leading to Tham Luang cave in anticipation of the Prime Minister’s visit. The Spokesperson explained that the works were done to the route earlier to facilitate the transportation of equipment needed in the rescue operation.

nnt_logo.jpg
-- nnt 2018-06-29

4 hours ago, tomta said:

Perhaps you're right, Phil but what useful job can the chief of the air force do there?

The highest general of all forces by protocol must be accompanied by either of the generals of Army, Navy or Air Force.

9 minutes ago, hansnl said:

The highest general of all forces by protocol must be accompanied by either of the generals of Army, Navy or Air Force.

Is the Air Force general there to protect him from photo-bombing?

edit: Somehow I can't imagine the Navy general being there to protect him from someone going down on him though.

Edited by bluesofa

Who and which institution is in charge of this operation. Up till now, still no official operational room, no official spokesman nor media coordinator. With so many foreign teams, who coordinate their efforts. Is it the governor, military, interior minister or the local fire station master. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Prayut is coming.....and who are in all those following cars? Did he take his whole staff and household. What a mess. They only need people to save those kids and a good coordination team, all the other can go to the foot of the mountain to follow it en pray

• Like 1

17 hours ago, BangkokSausage said:

Disgusting thing to say and using a tragedy yourself to push your own agenda
Would you rather he sat at home with a few cold ones surfing TV?

Simple answer: yes!

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Expatthailover said:

A show of compassion etc by a thai leader again has been hijacked by the haters. The population expected him to go. Thais that is ..not 'others'

In any remotely similar tragic event in the world the leader would end up .

Because it's thailand the usual suspects have to have a go.

What is he doing that is wrong.

What has he done.

All politicians tell lies and have huge egos.

The whole world expected trump to get involved in the florida school shooting.

Should he have kept quiet?

If an expat population started moaning groaning and sneering in good old back home during abtragic event how would some of you lot take it?

Is that, why he goes Friday...or Saturday..or whenever his busy "lying to the people"- calender allows it?!

• Like 1

I can tell you exactly, why he/ they is/are going: to get their stupid faces into a camera and their stupid mouths in front of a microphone!

There are a bunch of rescue workers HARD at work, to get those kids out - and I really hope, they succeed!

If there is one thing, nobody needs, it's a bunch of guys, with no clue and their whole entourage, followed by a flock of reporters and photographers, to crowd up things and complicate them!

If you REALLY believe, this guy gives two hot $4its about the kids, I have a use car to sell you!

Edited by DM07
  • Thanks 2

7 hours ago, tomta said:

The PM, the national police chief, the chief of the air force, two deputy national police chiefs, the chief of the defence forces and the DEputy National Police Commisioner. Have I missed anyone.? Morale will be skyhigh among the rescue workers.

Maybe morale will be high among the Thai rescuers with many photo opportunities...

the foreign rescuers won't give a damn about visiting dignitaries, they'll be talking care of more pressing issues like finding the team and saving lives....

If Prayut want's to show concern tell him to bring a shovel !!!

• Haha 1

The spokesman said Gen Prayut will go to Mae Sai district on either June 29 or 30 to meet the relatives and parents of the missing persons and give moral support to officials on the search and rescue mission at Tham Luang cave as well as to rescue teams from other countries.

Please don't do it. Too many rescuers will encounter a nervous breakdown and some of them will be bored shirtless when he starts one of his hilarious and boring speeches. 

21 minutes ago, jenny2017 said:

The spokesman said Gen Prayut will go to Mae Sai district on either June 29 or 30 to meet the relatives and parents of the missing persons and give moral support to officials on the search and rescue mission at Tham Luang cave as well as to rescue teams from other countries.

Please don't do it. Too many rescuers will encounter a nervous breakdown and some of them will be bored shirtless when he starts one of his hilarious and boring speeches. 

I can see both sides of this dilema jennie2017 .  Yes a moral boost to the families of those that have children down there , no they have not been forgotten .  On the other hand he doesn't need to wave to the cameras and even worse suggest how things should be done on site. I hope no helper from the UK tells him " Oi fatso 'scuse me yer in me way "

22 hours ago, Eric Loh said:

The only reason I bashed him was because the press described him as the prime

minister and not the correct description which is junta non elected prime minister. But I agree this is sad times and I pray for the kids. 

You were kind no worry

Me boss , me come for photo opportunity . Me tell the world Thailand is good.  Me pray for the victims. Me go home and relax with my mia noi . 

On 6/28/2018 at 8:42 PM, PhilAtUbon said:

I can’t confess to knowing the agenda of the Chief of the Air Force, two Deputy National Police Chiefs…

But if I can use Grenfell Tower as an example again, there was every make, model, colour and shade of political bods swarming around, pointing out just how devastating it was, and offering crumbs of comfort to those affected. I didn’t see every single news report, but I don’t remember any criticism of them.

Yeah Ok, I do appreciate that Thailand is a tiddly bit different, but a high-up Mucky-Muck coming to talk to you in a time of distress, can be a bit of a comfort.

This isn't combatative mode – as a few other postings - but just saying that every-day folk can be comforted a bit by seeing those in high positions appearing to take an interest.

It can also be a distraction from the central mission...a tight fit. If the high up Mucky-Muck is using the event for a campaign event then the media can get underfoot....hopefully that will not be the case.

On 6/29/2018 at 5:10 AM, webfact said:

Worried Prayut flying to cave site today

"Worried?"  I doubt.  Seeking to bask in the limelight of a highly publicized media event?  More like it.