New 3 year visas coming out next year any one else hear that

18 minutes ago, jerry921 said:
10 hours ago, elviajero said:

Not going to happen unless they want to dramatically reduce ‘retiree expats’.

Your point seems illogical to me. Why would adding another option reduce anything? The old options would remain available, so no one would be impacted, and no one would have any incentive to be reduced. Dramatically reduced? I don't think so.

I meant if it were a replacement to the 1 year extension, which they would only do if they wanted to reduce numbers.

4 hours ago, elviajero said:

I meant if it were a replacement to the 1 year extension, which they would only do if they wanted to reduce numbers.

Same numbers, same money, a third of the work!

On ‎6‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 8:23 AM, Pattaya46 said:

Sure that with yearly extensions at only 1'900B they must make a lot o money... :whistling:

For the people who try to live of 4000 THB a month it must be a fortune.?

Edited by FritsSikkink
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, watcharacters said:

Isn't it possible the lawmakers in Thailand can change the law?

It is possible but they have not done it even once since it was issued in 1979.

I think that is because it would be to much of a political hot potato if they tried.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

It is possible but they have not done it even once since it was issued in 1979.

I think that is because it would be to much of a political hot potato if they tried.

But now there is the all powerful, I can do anything I want, Section 44 to use ....if they wanted to, which I doubt.

Thai Embassy in Stockholm, Sweden, issues 10 year visas, 2 X 5 years, for long stay, 50+ years old.

You need 3M THB in a Thai bank account, Health Insurance issued in/for Thailand, min 300K cover. You will also need all the usual's, Police report, Health certificate.

All details at Thai Embassy in Sweden's website.

You can also get a 1-year Retirement visa, same procedures as at an Immi., in Thailand, except that you do not need to have 800K in a Thai bank account - you need to have the equivalent in a Swedish account, or proof of pension etc.

All details also at Thai Embassy in Sweden's website.

On 6/29/2018 at 8:55 AM, BuaBS said:

If it requires 3 x 800k in a Thai bank , I'll pass.

You have a good point.  That's approaching  USD 90,000.00 depending  on how forex tracks and that could really hurt in terms of sheer transaction size, it is a lot of lost opportunity cost in funds that could be working for one elsewhere. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Small Joke said:

You have a good point.  That's approaching  USD 90,000.00 depending  on how forex tracks and that could really hurt in terms of sheer transaction size, it is a lot of lost opportunity cost in funds that could be working for one elsewhere. 

Today you can get almost exactly 2 1/3% from a one year US treasury bill. Times US90k that's $2100 per year.

In some other threads there has been advice on getting a good rate on your required Thai bank deposits. I've forgotten the name of what type of account you are supposed to get. Anyway, what is currently the best rate that you can get from a Thai bank for a deposit that meets the requirements of the visa & extension?

Certainly you might prefer to be investing your money in something with greater risk and greater return than t-bills, but for comparison purposes and having your money tied up, I think the one-year is about equivalent risk.

Of course there's exchange rate risk, but when you're an expat you have that already.

I figure that most people aren't going to have all their financial resources invested in higher risk investments, most are going to have some money in an emergency fund or other cash holdings, so once you figure the difference between the US t-bill rate and the Thai bank rate for the money the opportunity cost may not be that large. Especially for people who want their emergency fund in Baht.

• Like 1

On 6/30/2018 at 10:53 AM, FritsSikkink said:

For the people who try to live of 4000 THB a month it must be a fortune.?

You are supposed to have Bht 65000 per month, 780,00 per year,  income in oder to get the retirement extension. So Bht 1900 is only 0.24% of annual income.

On ‎7‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 1:19 PM, jerry921 said:

In some other threads there has been advice on getting a good rate on your required Thai bank deposits. I've forgotten the name of what type of account you are supposed to get. Anyway, what is currently the best rate that you can get from a Thai bank for a deposit that meets the requirements of the visa & extension?

Kasikorn do a 3 year Fixed term account @ 1.8%.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, wgdanson said:

You are supposed to have Bht 65000 per month, 780,00 per year,  income in oder to get the retirement extension. So Bht 1900 is only 0.24% of annual income.

Yes, it's not a big deal for foreign expats on retirement. But for the Lao farm worker it is a lot. That's the sort of person being referred to as living on 4000 THB/month.

2 hours ago, jerry921 said:

Yes, it's not a big deal for foreign expats on retirement. But for the Lao farm worker it is a lot. That's the sort of person being referred to as living on 4000 THB/month.

Would a Lao farmer be applying for a Retirement extension?

2 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

Would a Lao farmer be applying for a Retirement extension?

I think I got my threads confused. There was a thread discussing somebody who had a farm and hired a Lao worker two weeks a month and that worker was doing 30-day border runs and paying for each month's visa. Someone suggested the poster go through the hassle of getting him an actual work permit so he could avoid the border runs.

• Like 1