Briton, 60, found with drugs dies fleeing police in Udon Thani

webfact

F'n Died, for just a VERY nice admittedly,  bag of Ganja !!! ... Tragic. ... I do not smoke it any more, but I AM glad that they are starting to legalize it in most places now. .. Like Prohibition, ... criminalizing it has been just a Total and F'n HUGE mistake, all round.   ... And filling up our prisons at tax payers expense ... for Nothing !!!

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

1 minute ago, oldrunner said:

Could be worse, could have been Singapore, long wait in prison, then the noose. Same end. Quick end into the back of a truck. I'll warrant he was not wearing his safety belt.

I guess he wanted it that way. Good that nobody else got hurt. 

19 hours ago, Odysseus123 said:

It doesn't matter as he should have known better-why flout the laws of the country which is your host?

When you keep drugs out of it altogether, and only referring to Thailand, there are laws that 99.9% of the population will break, personally speaking, if I do not agree with any law, I will break it, though nothing serious, ie I would drive a new car out of my province if it suited me, if I am caught by the police for a very minor driving offense, I will pay them to avoid going to the police station to pay it.

Anyone care to admit that they would never knowingly break any law no matter how stupid it is?

Another thing, the country is not my host, they put me to the inconvenience and expense of doing a 90 day report.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

When you keep drugs out of it altogether, and only referring to Thailand, there are laws that 99.9% of the population will break, personally speaking, if I do not agree with any law, I will break it, though nothing serious, ie I would drive a new car out of my province if it suited me, if I am caught by the police for a very minor driving offense, I will pay them to avoid going to the police station to pay it.

Anyone care to admit that they would never knowingly break any law no matter how stupid it is?

Another thing, the country is not my host, they put me to the inconvenience and expense of doing a 90 day report.

yet we still stay here ? 

1 minute ago, watso63 said:

A well done to the truck driver for placing his vehicle in the right place at the right time.

Did you even stop to let your little brain think for a few seconds that his relatives, son/daughter will have access to this gem from you?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

Of course the country is your host-unless you are claiming that you are a Thai citizen?

Just because you meet requirements does not make anything less of a "guest" from the Thai perspective and I cannot really comprehend why it should.

This guy forgot the salient feature of life here (or elsewhere)you break the law and consequences will (usually) follow especially if you are not a well heeled "farang" and are taking a walk on the wildside..

It never ceases to amaze me that Caucasians in Thailand think that they have some "cloak of invisibility" when,in actual fact,they stand out like the proverbial canine cojones on a bull terrier.

6 minutes ago, PEE TEE said:

same would go for people who sell alcohol then or is not a drug ? 

No! Certainly not, there are plenty of people who drink alcohol and don't get drunk.

Nothing wrong with alcohol if it is used socially, although it does seem that cannabis 

can be used socially as it is no more harmful than cigarettes, though I do stand to be corrected.

2 hours ago, Neeranam said:

Alcohol is not a drug. While it and nicotine are addictive and are the 2 biggest killers, despite being legal.

Ganga is harmless, and non addictive.

There are many addictive drugs, cocaine, heroin, and countless ones given buy doctors, or even over the counter at a drug store.

Alcohol is not a drug? Are you out of your mind?? 

drug
drəɡ/
noun

1. 1. 
    a medicine or other substance which has a physiological effect when ingested or otherwise introduced into the body.

Alcohol is a drug by definition, and one of the most harmful drugs out there. 
    Cannabis is also a drug, and whilst it has many benefits, it also has downsides to it as well. Just because something isn't physically addictive, doesn't mean that it cannot cause mental dependancy / addiction. Ecstasy isn't physically addictive either, but that can cause a huge mental addiction, as can cannabis, I should know I had issues with both. 

Also, you cannot pull that BS about 'weed is a plant, it's natural and not a drug' - again, by definition it is a drug. Opium is also natural and a plant, you can go and slice the poppies and ingest the sap, does that mean it is harmless? 
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Odysseus123 said:

Of course the country is your host-unless you are claiming that you are a Thai citizen?

Just because you meet requirements does not make anything less of a "guest" from the Thai perspective and I cannot really comprehend why it should.

This guy forgot the salient feature of life here (or elsewhere)you break the law and consequences will (usually) follow especially if you are not a well heeled "farang" and are taking a walk on the wildside..

It never ceases to amaze me that Caucasians in Thailand think that they have some "cloak of invisibility" when,in actual fact,they stand out like the proverbial canine cojones on a bull terrier.

Guests are people who should be treated with respect, IMO there are cases where we are not here in Thailand.

You invite people to your house, you are the host and the people are your guests, as a host, try and treat your guest with disrespect, then what will happen.

Thailand make it known that anyone who is going to contribute well to their economy is welcome, that is an

invitation.

3 hours ago, jesimps said:

Why would anyone interested in making money from drugs do it here where the punishment is so harsh. If you're that way inclined, why not go to a western country to carry out business?

He had a family here, maybe trying to support them by selling drugs. 

12 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Interesting, what is morally worse, a bar owner or a drug dealer?

We know alcohol is the number one offender.

How many here that are happy a drug dealer died, are frequent alcohol imbibers?

OK I will rise to that bait......

"Interesting, what is morally worse, a bar owner or a drug dealer?"

So it's about morals is it?.......Law breaking irrelevant?.......The bar owner is "Legally" supplying to the demand of people buying his product "legally"

Alcohol is not an offender, though everyone accepts that if abused, the effects can be horrendous.

I am not "happy" that a life has been lost, but he was engaging in an illegal activity, that he has brought about himself at some stage in his life.

I like a drink, I do it legally and sensibly, how about you sir?

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

No! Certainly not, there are plenty of people who drink alcohol and don't get drunk.

Nothing wrong with alcohol if it is used socially, although it does seem that cannabis 

can be used socially as it is no more harmful than cigarettes, though I do stand to be corrected.

There are many people use opium and don't get wasted. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Easy Come Easy Go said:

Thanks for your post and sorry to hear of this tragedy. 
I've battled with addiction in my past too, mainly prescription anxiety medications that turned into pure evil. I'm way passed that now though, so I know that just because someone is wrapped up in drugs, doesn't make them a bad person at all. They are merely suffering and hurting deep within. 
My condolences to the family 

I'm sorry, but I cannot go along with this, I have already expressed my views, but if he was dealing, it is people like him who are responsible for people who become addicted, and as I have said if there were no dealers, there would be no addicts.

I would agree with the last sentence, condolences to his wife and kid.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, imaderbyfan said:

OK I will rise to that bait......

"Interesting, what is morally worse, a bar owner or a drug dealer?"

So it's about morals is it?.......Law breaking irrelevant?.......The bar owner is "Legally" supplying to the demand of people buying his product "legally"

Alcohol is not an offender, though everyone accepts that if abused, the effects can be horrendous.

I am not "happy" that a life has been lost, but he was engaging in an illegal activity, that he has brought about himself at some stage in his life.

I like a drink, I do it legally and sensibly, how about you sir?

I don't drink alcohol, by necessity rather than virtue.