Put your cards on the table, EU makes last Brexit call to Britain

rooster59

1 hour ago, Eloquent pilgrim said:

I assume you meant round, not around. However, not a particularly good analogy; the earth is not round, it is an oblate spheroid, meaning that the distance from the earth's centre to sea level is roughly 21 kilometres greater at the equator than at the north and south poles.

Edited by whatsupdoc
deleted because off-topic

35 minutes ago, The Renegade said:

Remainers out in force today. Posting all sorts of garbage.

Are they worried that today is the day that May the Remainer falls on her '' Brexit means Brexit '' sword and resigns ?

Are they worried that today is the day that May the Remainer falls on her '' No deal is better than a bad deal '' sword and is ousted ?

???

If I was a remainer I would be worried ??

There you go, distraction:

The issue is the PM does not have a negotiating position agreed with her own cabinet.

This make or Break time for the Government’s Brexit shambles.

Absolutely nothing for Remain supporters to worry about.

Teresa's position is becoming untenable...

The "Gang" of hard line Brexeters are already holed in the Foreign Office holding a strategy meeting, (how to undermine the PM).

Teresa will today have to take decisive action of dealing with the hard liners, I do not see them forcing her out of office because she can , and probably will call a general election, my guess if she can not stop the mutiny today. by 6pm she will have announced her intentions for a general election, 

• Like 1

Faisal Islam just reported that the PM has stated about today's meeting, "This is about agreeing an approach that delivers decisively on the verdict of the British people - an approach in the best interests of the UK and the EU, and crucially, one that commands the support of the public and parliament."

How can the support of the public be determined without a #peoplesvote?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, The Renegade said:

Remainers out in force today. Posting all sorts of garbage.

Are they worried that today is the day that May the Remainer falls on her '' Brexit means Brexit '' sword and resigns ?

Are they worried that today is the day that May the Remainer falls on her '' No deal is better than a bad deal '' sword and is ousted ?

???

If I was a remainer I would be worried ??

Oddly enough I'm less worried about the prospect of a hard no deal brexit.

Simply because I think it would be so disastrous, that it would quickly be reversed.

If you want brexit you need a plan - one that will work. We haven't got one yet.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Basil B said:

Teresa's position is becoming untenable...

The "Gang" of hard line Brexeters are already holed in the Foreign Office holding a strategy meeting, (how to undermine the PM).

Teresa will today have to take decisive action of dealing with the hard liners, I do not see them forcing her out of office because she can , and probably will call a general election, my guess if she can not stop the mutiny today. by 6pm she will have announced her intentions for a general election, 

That’s a likely outcome.

But take more, none of the hardline Brexiteers in the government ac want the PM’s job.

The accusation that Brexit is failing because the PM support Remain during the referendum is very useful to the hardline Brexiteers in He government who have a part to play in the government’s continuing Brexit failure.

What an utter shambles!

• Like 2

Just now, The Renegade said:

Brilliant.

Now give us all the benefit of your wisdom and tell us what approach is going to deliver decisively on the verdict of the British people, that will :

1. Be in the best interest of the UK and the EU ?

( An oxymoron if I ever seen one, the EU is only interested in one deal. The one that keeps the UK tied to Brussels, the ECJ and handing over £ Billions )

2. Commands the support of the public and Parliament ?

( This is not possible and nothing but a pipe dream )

Finally. Keep dreaming, there will be no peoples vote.

The comment was from the PM, not from me. You can flap all you like, hurl your thinly veiled insults as usual; the fact is that the PM stated that the objective of today's meeting is to come to a proposal that, "...commands the support of the public". So, with the public not having seen the proposal thus far, I merely question how she intends to fulfil that objective.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

We had a peoples' vote (i.e. the referendum), and they the largest percentage of voters voted to leave.

Having said that, I do agree that those voters clearly cannot trust the govt. to deliver on this result, as the 'negotiations' ? have followed the eu 'line'....., and I suspect the 'final deal' will sell those voters down the river.

So why would she raise the prospect of a further plebiscite of sorts? I don't believe that she is so incompetent as to make such a statement, knowing that each word would be scrutinised, without having a plan that would see it through. After all, she was a remainer...

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, RuamRudy said:

The comment was from the PM, not from me.

That is quite funny coming from a remainer, who are very adapt at attacking the poster and not the comment or source.

But that is by the wayside. I asked you specifically

22 minutes ago, The Renegade said:

Now give us all the benefit of your wisdom and tell us what approach is going to deliver decisively on the verdict of the British people, that will :

( An oxymoron if I ever seen one, the EU is only interested in one deal. The one that keeps the UK tied to Brussels, the ECJ and handing over £ Billions )

I was asking you, not the PM.

You remainers seem to think you have all the answers. I'm giving you the opportunity to prove it.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, The Renegade said:

That is quite funny coming from a remainer, who are very adapt at attacking the poster and not the comment or source.

You remainers seem to think you have all the answers. I'm giving you the opportunity to prove it.

Offering the opportunity to be distracted.

15 minutes ago, The Renegade said:

Is that broad brushed, or directed at me personally? It is unclear from your grammatic structure.

40 minutes ago, The Renegade said:

While I was commenting on the PM, someone who's words hold considerably more weight than mine, I shall indulge you with my thoughts.

1) Call off Brexit

2) Call off Brexit

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, The Renegade said:

A link would have been nice ?

So here is the BBC's link

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-44728807

To quote the paragraph directly above your quoted paragraph

Well that to me looks like a long kiss goodbye to any notion of staying in the SM or attached at the hip to the EU 

That's fine and well, but irrelevant to my post. I am interested in her next sentence, with her stated intention to seek a proposal that, "...commands the support of the public".

How does she intend to discern the level of public support? GE? People's vote? Mail-in?

• Like 1

Just a guess, but I think she might be leaning towards the 52% that voted to leave. This is backed up by

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-44728807

As none of this will be possible by staying attached at the hip to the EU.

Much of those freedoms are mythical, even if we do leave the EU 

Read this thread

• Like 1

Wouldn't it be great if our cabinet were meeting today to decide what's best for the future of the UK as a whole rather than each one working solely for what's best for them personally?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, RuamRudy said:

While I was commenting on the PM, someone who's words hold considerably more weight than mine, I shall indulge you with my thoughts.

1) Call off Brexit

2) Call off Brexit

I'm a little confused here RR, if Scotland are leaving the Union, and you do appear very confident on that, what difference will Brexit make to you?

Just now, vogie said:

I'm a little confused here RR, if Scotland are leaving the Union, and you do appear very confident on that, what difference will Brexit make to you?

Thank you for affording me the opportunity to dispel another fallacy - I want nothing but the best for the home nations as individual entities. That I want Scottish decisions made in Scotland does not mean that I do not want that rUK to prosper also. From a political perspective it is essential that our neighbours are economically strong and politically stable; from a people perspective, I think the impact of Brexit will negatively affect the population and I do not want that.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, aright said:

I made no reference to WW2, Volks supply chains or Tata or them owning LRJ.  Try rereading and understanding and putting more water with it.

So you didn't write this in response to my comment about your not understanding how supply chains work? 

"Didn't Volkwagen  clearly know something about diesel emissions violations but forgot to tell the general public.

Half a million vehicles recalled as I recall. So much for "they" clearly knowing"

I guess it was somebody elsle who wrote that. Did they hack into your account?

For those interested in Aright's thought processes, such as they are, go to post #627 where he brings up Volkswagen in regard to Land Rover/Jaguar.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Renegade said:

It's obvious that the remainers answer would be to call off brexit. ?

It's been stated time and time again.  They ignore the likelihood of MPs in leave areas being voted out of office as a result.

I've said time and time again, the govt. is looking for a leave in name only result, that doesn't result in many of their MPs being voted out of office by their constituents.

• Like 2