Trump, ahead of NATO summit, repeats complaints on Germany, other Europeans

rooster59

Trump, ahead of NATO summit, repeats complaints on Germany, other Europeans

800x800 (6).jpg

FILE PHOTO: German Bundeswehr armed forces soldiers of the 371st armoured infantry battalion march during a media day of the NATO drill 'NOBLE JUMP 2015' at the barracks in Marienberg April 10, 2015. REUTERS/Fabrizio Bensch/File Photo

ABOARD AIR FORCE ONE (Reuters) - U.S. President Donald Trump, less than two weeks before a NATO summit in Brussels, on Friday repeated his complaint that Germany and other European nations need to spend more on the military alliance.

NATO members have agreed to spend 2 percent of economic output on defence every year by 2024, but Germany and Spain are among the countries not expected to meet the target.

France plans to increase defence spending by more than a third between 2017 and 2025, with the aim of reaching the NATO goal.

"Germany has to spend more money. Spain, France. It's not fair what they've done to the United States," Trump told reporters aboard Air Force One.

The North Atlantic Treaty Organization summit is scheduled for July 11 and 12 at its new headquarters.

Last month, Trump complained that NATO members that did not contribute fully to the alliance would be "dealt with," and he singled out Germany as not doing enough.

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2018-06-30
  • Haha 1

I’m sure he will follow the g7 Kim fiasco you know stab allies in the guts then make nice with a brutal dictator Donald you are a condo salesman not a statesman I’m kinda leaning towards a new name trator don 

• Like 1

I predict Trump will get out of NATO.

Now I don't mind at all to overthink long standing agreements like NATO, and if necessary change it or get out. But what is happening right now is 'we don't like it so we get out' without the thinking.

Tired of paying for Europe's defense. Russia is a bit player, a minor irritant. China is the problem. Time to pull out of Nato and redirect American resources towards Asia. Europe is rich enough to take care of itself.

42 minutes ago, zydeco said:

Russia is a bit player, a minor irritant.

Tell that to Ukraine and Georgia that have faced Russian intrusion.

Tell that to Estonia or Latvia that face Crimea-style pro-Russian insurgencies.

While Putin is a two-bit bully, he is dangerous not to be taken seriously.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, zydeco said:

Tired of paying for Europe's defense. Russia is a bit player, a minor irritant. China is the problem. Time to pull out of Nato and redirect American resources towards Asia. Europe is rich enough to take care of itself.

SecDef  doesn't agree with you, nor with Trump.

Another long serving US Ambassador has resigned, this time in disgust with Trump's uninformed anti EU / NATO rants. 

https://foreignpolicy.com/2018/06/29/u-s-ambassador-to-estonia-resigns-in-disgust-after-trump-anti-europe-rants-nato-european-union-diplomacy-transatlantic-alliance/

• Like 1

4 hours ago, stevenl said:

I predict Trump will get out of NATO.

Now I don't mind at all to overthink long standing agreements like NATO, and if necessary change it or get out. But what is happening right now is 'we don't like it so we get out' without the thinking.

You may well have a point. He tends to react to the extreme.

He's got a fair point though. And not just for the USA. Other NATO members who meet the spending requirement have been subsidizing the free spending spongers who have never bothered. They all signed up and agreed and all would have expected those who did pay to come to their defense. Other US Presidents, and the leaders of the countries who have been paying, have let them get away with not meeting their commitment for a long time.

It's the way he goes about things that derives everyone crazy!

On 6/30/2018 at 12:45 PM, FritsSikkink said:

Can't you just stay in your own country for a change?

Apparently, you have some difficulty in understanding things. Remaining in the US is precisely what people like me want and have wanted. It is the internationalists and the Clinton/Obama Democrats who fell in love with power projection and have slung American weaponry all across the globe. Trump is the best bet on hand to reverse that. Pity you can't see it. But at least your view is fashionable among the ThaiVisarati who plug into this site every day for lack of anything else to do.

On 6/30/2018 at 1:12 PM, simple1 said:

SecDef  doesn't agree with you, nor with Trump.

Another long serving US Ambassador has resigned, this time in disgust with Trump's uninformed anti EU / NATO rants. 

https://foreignpolicy.com/2018/06/29/u-s-ambassador-to-estonia-resigns-in-disgust-after-trump-anti-europe-rants-nato-european-union-diplomacy-transatlantic-alliance/

Big deal. Some career bureaucrat who will cash in and get rich off some establishment "think tank" that reinforces the 1950s status quo like the world has never changed.

• Sad 2

11 minutes ago, zydeco said:

Apparently, you have some difficulty in understanding things. Remaining in the US is precisely what people like me want and have wanted. It is the internationalists and the Clinton/Obama Democrats who fell in love with power projection and have slung American weaponry all across the globe. Trump is the best bet on hand to reverse that. Pity you can't see it. But at least your view is fashionable among the ThaiVisarati who plug into this site every day for lack of anything else to do.

Apparently your memory is bad as you said "redirect American resources towards Asia." or you, just like Trump, change your view every couple of hours. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, zydeco said:

It is the internationalists and the Clinton/Obama Democrats who fell in love with power projection

Perhaps you missed Trump Foreign Policy Senior Advisor Bolton:

Trump & Bolton call for regime change in Iran even as they speak of peace

https://www.rt.com/usa/426418-bolton-trump-iran-regime-change/

Bolton has supported every recent war the United States has fought.

He strongly endorsed initiating regime change war nuclear-armed North Korea.

https://foreignpolicy.com/2018/04/09/john-bolton-cant-be-contained/

Bolton on regime change in Syria: "I think that's one possibility.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-fix/wp/2018/03/23/john-bolton-has-talked-about-bombing-north-korea-iran-and-syria/?utm_term=.b112c779920a

I'd day Bolton too is in love with power projection.

• Thanks 2

Apart from Kim and Putin he can't have many people left he thinks are friends.
News Alert! He doesn't give a sh.t about anybody any other country. It's all about him and his GIGANTIC ego.
  • Like 1