New Passport

You should have got a letter from the embassy with your new passport asking immigration to transfer the stamp. Free and easy.

Even without the letter it's worth a trip to your local immigration, they should transfer your stamp with no bother.

I just got a new passport.

Will I be alright just showing my old passport with my 30 day visa in it to get out of the country.

Does the old passport have the corners cut off it & a big "cancelled" stamp across the front inside page????

Soundman.

I was in your situation a couple of weeks ago and went with both passports to the border at Nong Khai, I was directed to the office where the overstay fines are paid and given a form to fill out with the details of the 'old' passport. I handed the form and both passports to the immigration officer and he placed a large stamp on the first page of the new passport and entered the details from the old passport, there was no fee for this, he then entered a departure stamp. It took about ten minutes and I was then on my way across to Laos,

Edited by PREM-R

No, you have to have your VOA transfered from the old passport to the new one. Your old passport has expired.

The whole process at Suan Phlu is painless and free and don't think you need a letter from the Embassy.

Well at least I didn't (from Netherlands).

A couple of years ago they allowed me to have the stamp be transfered at the Poi Pet border. I won't take that risk if I were you ...

Well, I didn't want to take the chance so I got my VOA transfered to my new passport at Suan Phlu.

At the airport though I handed immigration my old passport to see what the reaction would be.

No reacion at all, they just stamped me out on my old passport, corners missing and all.

I just got a new passport.

Will I be alright just showing my old passport with my 30 day visa in it to get out of the country.

That's what I did, no questions asked. They just wrote something in the new passport.

Naka.

Edited by naka

Well, I didn't want to take the chance so I got my VOA transfered to my new passport at Suan Phlu.

At the airport though I handed immigration my old passport to see what the reaction would be.

No reacion at all, they just stamped me out on my old passport, corners missing and all.

Err.... are you saying that you now have a new passport with

an entry (permission to stay) stamp but no exit stamp ??

Expect some questions when you return to Thailand as to when and how you left as your new passport shows you to be in Thailand. When you are lucky, that might just stamp you in, again but I doubt it.

By VOA, I believe you mean the stamp for 30-days visa exempted stay.