URGENT- Marriage Visa not ready but stay expires today.

Brit- 57- Non Imm 'O'- marriage visa under consideration. Surat Thani.

I applied for an extension of stay based on marriage, and was given an under consideration stamp which expires today (3rd July). On arrival today I was told that the paperwork has not been completed and therefore an extension of stay can not be issued.  The officer said it was not important, and that I was not responsible.  She gave me a general number for Hat Yai office which deals with the application, and that is that.  Hat Yai office referred me back to Surat Thani.

But here I am on the verge of overstay.  They are trying to reassure me that it doesn't matter, but I rather think it does- tomorrow I am on overstay.

So, I guess I may have to do a tourist visa pretty quickly.  My nearest border would be Malaysia I guess.  Would I have to get to Butterworth?  Is it still easy to do?

1 minute ago, ThaidDown said:

Relax, you will NOT be on overstay. The under consideration is valid until the descision is made (99+ % it will be approved)

Thanks.  Yes, I am really on edge.  Obviously it's the stamp in the passport.  I'll sit tight a few days. 

Actually, we just contacted Hat Yai and there is an English speaking officer who seems empathetic.  Hopefully I will get some resolution.

(PS: took a few minutes and a few people to even decipher the case number since the scrawl is not at all clear). I have had continued bad service from Surat Thani over a number of years.  All they do is tell me their problems.

2 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

As aid nothing to worry about.

The under consideration stamp allow you to stay until your application is approved. The report back date is just that it does not end the under consideration period.

Well thankfully I did not blow my top or do anything stupid.  They were not really able to convey this in either English to me, or Thai to my wife.

1 hour ago, mommysboy said:

Thanks.  Yes, I am really on edge.  Obviously it's the stamp in the passport.  I'll sit tight a few days. 

Actually, we just contacted Hat Yai and there is an English speaking officer who seems empathetic.  Hopefully I will get some resolution.

(PS: took a few minutes and a few people to even decipher the case number since the scrawl is not at all clear). I have had continued bad service from Surat Thani over a number of years.  All they do is tell me their problems.

Do not worry. This happened to me 2 times when doing my extension in Phuket.

I took 2 extra weeks both times after my report back date. No problem.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, racyrick said:

Do not worry. This happened to me 2 times when doing my extension in Phuket.

I took 2 extra weeks both times after my report back date. No problem.

I got a telephone call shortly after my last posting, asking me to go to Surat Immigration so that the extension stamp could be added. I am none the wiser why it couldn't be done earlier today.  I think Hat Yai must have had a word.

I got the wife to go in and the stamp was issued, which is probably the best decision I made all day. 

Thank you for the replies- it really calmed me down.  I was about to pack a bag and run to the border.

Still left scratching my head: when is an extension expiry date not an expiry date ?!

2 minutes ago, mommysboy said:

Still left scratching my head: when is an extension expiry date not an expiry date ?!

When an extension of stay is under consideration by the immigration department, so long as you applied for the new extension prior to the expiry date, then you are legally allowed to remain in Thailand until such time that the decision is made by immigration, even if it took several days or weeks past the stamped report back date.

Even if this happened, the extension would still always start from the end date of the last extension.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, mommysboy said:

The under consideration stamp overrides your extensions expiration date.

The office here starts the report back date from the date my extension ends. So all of them (10) have been 30 days after my extension ends.

The only way your report back date would not be after your extension ends would be if you applied 30 day early. Two weeks early and it will be 2 weeks after your extension ends.

3 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

The under consideration stamp overrides your extensions expiration date.

The office here starts the report back date from the date my extension ends. So all of them (10) have been 30 days after my extension ends.

The only way your report back date would not be after your extension ends would be if you applied 30 day early. Two weeks early and it will be 2 weeks after your extension ends.

This was 2 months under consideration. I applied early May.

My original extension ended 3 Jun.

The report back date was 3 July.

What made me anxious was not having something in my passport explaining the situation-or perhaps just another under consideration stamp.  Otherwise, I wouldn't have been flustered.

I should really have come on here a week ago with a 'what if' posting, since I was beginning to feel concerned then.

It's not good to leave someone without a valid date stamp imo.

Edited by mommysboy

Yes no worries happened to me twice now at Jom Thien went back more than a week later (or my wife did) got stamped and that was it, Don;t worry! does make you wonder though that they (Bangkok) can't get it done in a month though, can't be all that busy surely!

16 minutes ago, maxcorrigan said:

Yes no worries happened to me twice now at Jom Thien went back more than a week later (or my wife did) got stamped and that was it, Don;t worry! does make you wonder though that they (Bangkok) can't get it done in a month though, can't be all that busy surely!

2 months in my case.  But even then no big deal. It's having a valid stamp-any stamp- that's crucial.

There's no excuse really for that imo.  Mai pen rai doesn't cut the mustard.

Im currently waiting for return to Jomtien Immi stamped under consideration for report back on July 6th. I have scheduled a trip (Domestic Flight withbThai Airways And Hotel booked) departing 12th and returning 18th.

will I have a problem either with Thai Airways or Hotel registration if I show up with this expired stamp?

what would happen if Immigration calls me while in CM and asks me to report back same day?

And more general question, does not apply for my situation (unless it takes more than one month) would I be allowed to exit and reenter Thailand on a Reentry Permit?

9 minutes ago, Rastaputin said:

Im currently waiting for return to Jomtien Immi stamped under consideration for report back on July 6th. I have scheduled a trip (Domestic Flight withbThai Airways And Hotel booked) departing 12th and returning 18th.

will I have a problem either with Thai Airways or Hotel registration if I show up with this expired stamp?

what would happen if Immigration calls me while in CM and asks me to report back same day?

And more general question, does not apply for my situation (unless it takes more than one month) would I be allowed to exit and reenter Thailand on a Reentry Permit?

No problem to fly on a domestic flight they only look at the photo page for ID purposes. Hard to say about a hotel but it really should not be a problem either.

I think you should have your extension stamp done before the 12th.

Immigration would be unlikely to call you and expect you do it on the same day. If not done by the 12th inform immigration what you will be out of town until the 18th.

You would not be able to get a re-entry permit after the 6th since there would no nothing valid for them to issue it for.

• Like 1