First Nescafé HUB opens for coffee-loving commuters at BTS Chidlom

snoop1130

First Nescafé HUB opens for coffee-loving commuters at BTS Chidlom

By The Nation

ac3363efa86d2732fff04a6fba403813.jpeg

Nescafé has announced its entry into Thailand’s Bt26-billion out-of-home coffee market with Tuesday’s opening of the first Nescafé HUB, at BTS Chidlom station.

This marks the first time that the company is offering fresh roast and ground coffee, known locally as kafe sod, to Thai coffee lovers. 

As part of Nescafé’s new out-of-home business model, Nescafé HUB will be followed by many more Nescafé out-of-home cafés in a variety of models.

At Nescafé HUB, BTS commuters will be able to enjoy a kafe sod experience with café and signature menus made from 100-per cent specially imported Colombian Arabica beans, the company said. 

Customers can also enjoy a co-created menu item resulting from an exclusive collaboration with Japan’s Sawada Hiroshi, the first “Asian World Latte Art Champion”. 

Thailand’s out-of-home coffee market has evolved rapidly over the past few years, reaching an approximate market value of Bt26.7 billion, with 8-per-cent growth last year. 

Specialty coffee shops and cafés are highly popular with Thai consumers, with a market value of Bt17 billion and 15.7-per-cent annual growth. 

Coffee sales at Thailand’s transit hubs account for over Bt1 billion per year. 

Vladislav Andreev, business executive officer – Coffee and Creamer Business Unit, Nestle (Thai), said: “Today, Nescafé is changing the game for Thailand’s coffee market with the launch of the Nescafé HUB at BTS Chidlom station to offer fresh roast and ground coffee, or kafe sod, to delight Thai consumers with superior coffee on the go as part of our new out-of-home business model.”

“It’s a hub for coffee lovers; it’s a place where people can connect for an indulgent sensorial coffee experience, and it represents the first of many out-of-home business models to come. Nescafé HUB reflects our business development vision of driving Nescafé to be the solution brand, offering a ‘loved and innovative coffee experience’ for both in-home and out-of-home occasions. 

“We are confident it will become a magnet for coffee lovers who take the BTS to the trendy Chidlom area, and we expect to reach 15,000 commuters daily, with target sales of over 300 cups per day for the Nescafé HUB,” he added.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30349219

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-7-3

1 hour ago, bluesofa said:

But sadly failed to mention anything about the containers the coffee will be served in.

Are they single-use? Recyclable? Can you bring your own cup and receive a discount? Seems Nescafe aren't interested in these issues, despite the subject being in the press very recently.

Not only not interested, but even being cynical about it, a missing marketing opportunity.

exactly,no mention of any thing to do with recycle or reducing plastic waste. Just another destroyer of the environment thanks Nescafe for only caring about greed

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

Further to my comment (post #2) about the cups Nescafe will be using:

I contacted Nestle for their reaction.

Unfortunately the contact form for Nestle Thailand doesn't work, so I've sent it to their global office (Switzerland). I'll keep you posted on the outcome.

Edited by bluesofa
misprit
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, bluesofa said:

Unfortunately the contact form for Nestle Thailand doesn't work, so I've sent it to their global office (Switzerland). I'll keep you posted on the outcome.

Don't bother, please.

15 minutes ago, Just Weird said:
4 hours ago, bluesofa said:

Don't bother, please.

Hmm, is there a reason you would say that? Perhaps you either dislike Nestle or dislike myself?

I would have thought if you weren't interested, you just wouldn't bother reading any reply?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Just Weird said:

You can have food or drinks, you just can't consume them on the BTS system

Well aware of that. Instead of being pedantic on the difference between 'have' and 'consume', try using some common sense and reading my post in the context of this topic.

Buying a hot coffee at a BTS station. Can't drink it on the train or platform. 

• Like 1

On 7/3/2018 at 5:21 PM, bluesofa said:

But sadly failed to mention anything about the containers the coffee will be served in.

Are they single-use? Recyclable? Can you bring your own cup and receive a discount? Seems Nescafe aren't interested in these issues, despite the subject being in the press very recently.

Not only not interested, but even being cynical about it, a missing marketing opportunity.

And is it just another configuration of nescafe instant coffee?

If yes, then how about if nestle reveal all the ingredients in their instant coffee?

Or, is this really cafe sod - fresh coffee, main ingredient actual fresh ground coffee beans and hot water only (plus sugar, milk if desired)?

25 minutes ago, Jonmarleesco said:

Wonderful timing. Commuters can enjoy a coffee or three whilst the BTS faffs around debuggering up their latest gaffe. 

Actually great point.  On the massive delay days, nobody would notice you sipping coffee in the huge queues!

21 hours ago, bluesofa said:

Hmm, is there a reason you would say that? Perhaps you either dislike Nestle or dislike myself?

I would have thought if you weren't interested, you just wouldn't bother reading any reply?

Yes, there is a reason.

1)  The chances of Nestle's global HQ responding to you is remote and if, on the off chance they do out of politeness, they'll just refer you to Nestle Thailand!

2)  If Nestle Thailand does enter into a discussion with you, how much importance do you really thing it would put on your thoughts of the cups in which coffee is served in one of it's outlets?

You make it sound as though you're not the only one concerned about the hugely unimportant cup situation (bring your own cup and expect a discount?  That's just a joke!) that's why I suggested that you don't bother.

Edited by Just Weird

20 hours ago, Argus Tuft said:

Well aware of that. Instead of being pedantic on the difference between 'have' and 'consume', try using some common sense and reading my post in the context of this topic.

Buying a hot coffee at a BTS station. Can't drink it on the train or platform. 

I wasn't being pedantic, you specifically stated that it was a fact that you can't have food or drinks on the BTS when you can.  Your implication was that the café wasn't such a great idea because of that.

If seating is being provided in their café, it can be drunk there and if there is no area for that because it is a take-away café you take it away.  Some people do buy things after they've got off the train, you know, maybe that was the business plan.

1 hour ago, Just Weird said:

Yes, there is a reason.

1)  The chances of Nestle's global HQ responding to you is remote and if, on the off chance they do out of politeness, they'll just refer you to Nestle Thailand!

2)  If Nestle Thailand does enter into a discussion with you, how much importance do you really thing it would put on your thoughts of the cups in which coffee is served in one of it's outlets?

You make it sound as though you're not the only one concerned about the hugely unimportant cup situation (bring your own cup and expect a discount?  That's just a joke!) that's why I suggested that you don't bother.

Thanks for the reply.

There are retailers who offer a discount if you bring your own cup, so I don't know why you see it as a joke.

I feel that at least by trying to contact someone at Nestle there might be the chance to find out if they are planning to react to the interest generated about this. At least I thought it was worth trying.

edit: This may not be in Thailand yet, but it is happening.

https://www.facebook.com/Bringyourowncup/

https://customerservice.starbucks.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2463

However, I did also read a week or so back of one restaurant in Thailand (Bangkok?/can't remember where) offering a discount if you bring your own cup.

Edited by bluesofa
  • Confused 1

11 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

Thanks for the reply.

There are retailers who offer a discount if you bring your own cup, so I don't know why you see it as a joke.

I feel that at least by trying to contact someone at Nestle there might be the chance to find out if they are planning to react to the interest generated about this. At least I thought it was worth trying.

"There are retailers who offer a discount if you bring your own cup, so I don't know why you see it as a joke".

Really?  I don't think so, unless you can name just one mainstream coffee outlet/franchise serving the demographic this outlet is aimed at that does that.   That local Chinatown(?) restaurant that was in the news a few weeks ago doesn't fall into this category!

Perhaps Starbucks, Dean and DeLuca, Black Canyon, True, Au Bon Pain etc have introduced those discounts recently?

"...there might be the chance to find out if they are planning to react to the interest generated about this".

Sorry, but what interest?

Edited by Just Weird

23 hours ago, Just Weird said:
On 7/3/2018 at 11:49 PM, Argus Tuft said:

The environmental aspect skipped my radar.  I was wondering more about the fact you can't have food or drinks on the BTS

You can have food or drinks, you just can't consume them on the BTS system

I've been asked to bin every open drink I've ever tried to carry onto the BTS.  Sealed bottles seem okay, but a Coke, or Lemonade, or Coffee in a cup?  I've never gotten past security with one, even if I had no intention of consuming it onboard or on the premises (inside the pay gates).  Into the bin they have all gone.

To be fair, I don't blame them.  It's just as easy to spill a drink that I'm carrying as it is to spill one that I'm actually consuming.  And I do give the BTS and MRT high marks for cleanliness.

• Thanks 1

you see it everwhere people trying to fit in and look cute with that coffee plastic cup, with a plastic straw and a plastic bag wrapped around it; then carrying it while drinking and in less than 5 minutes theres more plastic waste not being recycled.