Denied at DMK because too many visas on arrival

11 hours ago, freddel08 said:

Well, I'm back in Europe

If you are back in your home country, then perhaps you could look at applying for a new passport and if you comply with the requirements, apply for a METV from the Thai Embassy there.

This should then give you some breathing space, plus it seems that Thai immigration do like to see a visa that is issued in your country once in a while.

10 hours ago, freddel08 said:

Obviously, I'm not in Thailand to stay idle and I may be interested to set a business

There is nothing stopping you from investigating the setting up of a business whilst entered on a TV, just make sure that is all it is!

Edited by Mattd
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, darrendsd said:

By the way clever people can also work out the difference between a Tourist Via and a Visa Exempt

Living in Thailand on visa exempt entries is also illegal, regardless of one's IQ.

Is that better?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, buick said:

a few years ago, it started getting tougher to enter thailand using a combo of visa exempt/tourist visas (a few years prior to that i'd been stopped, but allowed entry, due to too many visa exempt entries).  when it got a bit tougher, i was 47 and figured i could make it until 50 (turned 50 last year).  if i had been 45, i would have bought the thai elite visa.  i never used land borders and it was a bit troubling every time i entered the airport those last couple years, wondering if i'd be turned away, etc...  if you really plan to stay long term, thai elite visa makes sense. 

This mirrors my friends experience too. Discovered Thailand (and Pattaya) in the mid- 80's while working overseas. By the time he was in his mid-forties, he was still working in the oil patch and returning to Thailand where he owned his condo maybe 3 or 4 times a year,  either on TR's or visa-exempt entries. When that became a bit perilous as work dried up, he got an ED visa. He quite enjoyed that as he did attend classes and actually learned to speak more than just bar girl pidgin. Then they clamped down on ED's and he found the double-upped class attendance totally worthless. But he toughed it out for 8 months until he turned 50 and now languishes on Jomtien on a Retirement extension, drinking beer, yacking with the comely bar girls and their mums in colloquial Thai and doing the odd consultancy shot overseas to keep his +25 years in Thailand in total perspective. It's called a reality check.

I agree on the OP getting the Elite visa that he has already mentioned as an option. His only objection was that he may not want to be here for 5 years. Now that his TR and visa-exempt rodeo is over, the gild is off the Thai lily inasmuch as Thai Immigration have decided that he won't be here for 5 years. Maybe he will actually start to really assess the alternatives in other countries. These weren't really studied in depth before as he milked the Thai immigration system. It's called a reality check as well.

Edited by NanLaew
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Get a METV visa in your home country, 6 months multiple entry, with you can get 8 mths from by leaving and returning to Thailand just before the visa expires. Then 30 day extension at Imm. You do have to show some bank funds and some conditions but can vary depending on the country you apply. Australia has some of the relaxed conditions and some nationalities are permitted to apply there, if you have visa or permission to arrive in Australia. This visa has no age restrictions and can give you up to 9 months trouble-free. I've had a few back to back, no problems from immigration. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, overherebc said:

Wouldn't go as far as illegal, yes, if you working in some way.

I'll go for ill-advised.

Absolutely ill-advised... but as far as Thai Immigration is concerned, they only need to suspect that someone is working here and they can use their laws to bar the "illegal" person. The OP showed Immigration his Thai bank card which was a bit silly since it is getting increasingly difficult for Tourist to get a bank account, certainly within the last 2-3 years. He also has a car so really stretching the 'I am a tourist' claim a wee bit.

The OP not having 20,000 baht (or equivalent) cash while border hopping is quite a serious oversight on his behalf as that has been de rigueur for allowing certain repeat offenders suspects to enter for at least 2 years already.

Edited by NanLaew
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Absolutely ill-advised... but as far as Thai Immigration is concerned, they only need to suspect that someone is working here and they can use their laws to bar the "illegal" person. The OP showed Immigration his Thai bank card which was a bit silly since it is getting increasingly difficult for Tourist to get a bank account, certainly within the last 2-3 years. He also has a car so really stretching the 'I am a tourist' claim a wee bit.

The OP not having 20,000 baht (or equivalent) cash while border hopping is quite a serious oversight on his behalf as that has been de rigueur for allowing certain repeat offenders suspects to enter for at least 2 years already.

Agree.

I am on the same boat as you, under 50 and living here for 6 yrs already.

2 yrs ago I got stopped at the airport, had to pay tea money or be deported. I paid the tea money and shortly after moved to Ho Chi Minh for a 1yr break from Thailand.

I am back again on tourist visas but I never use the airports again. Only land borders and I don't let my passport fill up w visa and stamps. I get a new passport almost every year. Many times they dont look at the history in the computer, if your passport is new the chances of them scrutnizing you are much lower. Land borders are easier and I just hire a local visa agent that knows and works w immigration so I pay extra, my last visa run was this week and I give an extra 3k baht to immigration. Much cheaper than an elite visa and no hassles of having to go to school.

Doing the 1 month visa extensions are not a good thing.

If you are not sure you will in Thailand for 5 yrs I heard the elite visa can be transferred/ sold to another person. You would have to go to their office on Sathorn to get this clarified.

Good luck

• Like 2

12 hours ago, freddel08 said:

Well, I'm back in Europe. As I said I didn't want to take the risk to be denied again and I didn't figured out until recently that at land border they cannot detain you. Now, I evaluate every solutions even to buy the Elite visa; for that I need three pages blank in my passport and I had only two left. If I get a new passport from abroad it will take a few weeks while in Europe I can get the next day.

For the old visa I don't know if it will be a smart move to transfer that visa with red stamp into my new passport.

Why if you are European were you using Visa on Arrival?   Or were you using the 30 day Visa Exempt entries?

15 hours ago, Briggsy said:

Getting a new passport would definitely be helpful. Many on here say it won't help because the officers can see on the computer your history. But it will help in getting a tourist visa in the region and my experience is that officers flick through the passport to see your previous entries.

Get a tourist visa from Savannakhet or your home country (where is your home country?).

Consider flying into Malaysia or Laos from your home country and then using a land border to enter Thailand. Carry at least the cash equivalent of 20,000 Baht and a return ticket to your home country within 60 days.

It is interesting to note that the vast majority of these stories involve people flying in from nearby Asian countries. I don't recall somebody being sent back to a European destination but I am sure there have been.

MANY people are sent back to US or EU.

Edited by gaff
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, freddel08 said:

Obviously, I'm not in Thailand

Marry a Thai woman or father a Baby with a Thai and getting Non Immigrant O visa and extensions are easy possible ??

• Like 1

15 hours ago, freddel08 said:

I'm financial analyst and manage for my own saving.

Do you manage for your own saving while in Thailand?  If so, that is probably work, particularly under the new definition.  Indeed, the new definition of "work" for work permit purposes expressly says that an activity can be work even if there is no employer.  I suspect this was added because Thai authorities realize that many people engage in income generating activity while in Thailand even though they don't have an employer (or even an office), at least in the traditional sense.

The chances of the authority uncovering this sort of "work" are small (unless you talk about it or funds are flowing in and out of a Thai bank account) and this, I suspect, is why they are taking a closer look at visa stamps.  I also suspect we will see more of this as more people engage in non-traditional work.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, gaff said:

More difficult because gay cannot marry here ?

Didn't you post a reply already ?? Was it removed along with my answer !!!

My reason for not being on a Non O visa or extension of stay are different to what you posted..

• Haha 1

Applying for the elite visa is easy, quick and very affordable. You may even be able to do it online. My $0.02,  go that route, your problem is solved ? and you don't have to worry about this kinda stuff again, at least for awhile. fwiw, while you may not know today that you'll stay in thailand for 5 years, you also don't know that you won't so don't worry so much about the future. We only live in the present moment?

Welcome to Thailand...

Cheers 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mattd said:

It would work out far cheaper to purchase the Thailand Elite than go to those extremes ?

yeah, that option in retrospect wouldn't have left such a bitter after ta$te, after all! 

Edited by tifino

Only two posts did mention it but why don't you get a METV?
Especially since I read you are back on your home country already.
I think that kind of visa would be the best option for your circumstances.
You wouldn't even need a new passport in my opinion.

2 hours ago, gaff said:

MANY people are sent back to US or EU.

Deportation for criminal offences, overstay, etc.? Certainly.

Denied entry for too many visa exempts? (Which is what we are talking about here.) I don't recall any but you say there are many. Could you provide an example from Thaivisa. I doubt you will.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Horace said:

Do you manage for your own saving while in Thailand?  If so, that is probably work, particularly under the new definition.  Indeed, the new definition of "work" for work permit purposes expressly says that an activity can be work even if there is no employer.  I suspect this was added because Thai authorities realize that many people engage in income generating activity while in Thailand even though they don't have an employer (or even an office), at least in the traditional sense.

The chances of the authority uncovering this sort of "work" are small (unless you talk about it or funds are flowing in and out of a Thai bank account) and this, I suspect, is why they are taking a closer look at visa stamps.  I also suspect we will see more of this as more people engage in non-traditional work.

What new definition of work?

Op is living here on tourist visa/visa exempt entries, hence the rejection.

17 hours ago, davehowden said:

Fred, you go to ask yourself what is so magical about Thailand when there are many other Asian countries ?

From where are you giving these precious advice, may I humbly ask - including your 'followers' ?