Polar bear killed Canadian man protecting his children

webfact

Polar bear killed Canadian man protecting his children

A father died protecting his children in a rare polar bear attack in Canada's northernmost territory of Nunavut.

Aaron Gibbons, 31, was on Sentry Island, a popular fishing and hunting spot on the west coast of Hudson Bay, when he encountered the bear on 3 July.

A relative said he "died a hero", telling his daughters to run while he put himself between them and the bear. The children were unharmed, but Mr Gibbons died in the attack. Another adult later shot and killed the bear.

Full story: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-44720199

bbc_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright BBC 2018-07-05
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, arithai12 said:

"now they encroach on human habitats" is an interesting statement. By the same logic, why not get rid of all animal species.

Well i think as you seem to be in to using logic....because not all animal species want to eat your children.

you also say:

Apart from the fact that I read that the polar bears' population minimum was "a low of about 12,000 in the late 1960s", you should compare with the population before man started encroaching significantly on their natural environment. Say, before 17th century.

Well the numbers were off the top of my head from years ago, but this is what Wiki says right now.

Warnings about the future of the polar bear are often contrasted with the fact that worldwide population estimates have increased over the past 50 years and are relatively stable today.[200][201] Some estimates of the global population are around 5,000 to 10,000 in the early 1970s;[202] other estimates were 20,000 to 40,000 during the 1980s.[47][61] Current estimates put the global population at between 20,000 and 25,000[41] or 22,000 and 31,000.[2]

As for checking numbers in the 17th century, I simply don't have time, but if you do then that would be most interesting.

Edited by Andaman Al
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, Andaman Al said:

because not all animal species want to eat your children.

Doesn't make any difference to humans. We'll exterminate any that are not domesticated and inconveniently occupy anywhere we want to live, or in this case kill animals for "sport". Seems that some animals have the audacity to return the favour.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, arithai12 said:

Apart from the fact that I read that the polar bears' population minimum was "a low of about 12,000 in the late 1960s", you should compare with the population before man started encroaching significantly on their natural environment. Say, before 17th century.

Sentry Island, now "a popular spot for fishing and hunting", was not inhabited until a short time ago - short on the scale of polar bear presence in the arctic.

"now they encroach on human habitats" is an interesting statement. By the same logic, why not get rid of all animal species. Think of elephants here in Thailand.

They won't get rid of elephants as long as they can exploit them to make money. The day they no longer do so, they will be "rid of". If people could interact with polar bears like they do elephants, their future would be secure as a money making venture.

Edited by thaibeachlovers
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, RickBradford said:

Cue the rapid attribution of this tragic event to 'global warming', and hence to industrial activity, then capitalism in general and finally the 'Western male patriarchy', all of which need to be destroyed in order to save the planet, according to the SJW types.

No room for K Thaksin (or the kitchen sink) in that lineup? :laugh:

1 hour ago, Andaman Al said:

Proof that some people argue just for the sake of it.

What is the problem here? Family on shore, Bear attacks children, Father saves Children, Bear Eats Father, Kids call rescue on radio, Rescuers come and shoot bear eating Father. What i wrong? This is not the mass extermination of a species (that is already running riot due to protection orders). What would you have done? Get the kids safe then tell the bear to finish up the remains of the Father and give him a bone and a cuddly toy?

Aaron Gibbons, 31, was on Sentry Island, a popular fishing and hunting spot on the west coast of Hudson Bay, when he encountered the bear on 3 July. 

Why do humans think they have some sort of "right" to kill other species, but it's not OK for other species to reciprocate? It's not like the bear attacked the guy in his back yard. The guy was on the bear's territory.

Edited by thaibeachlovers

1 minute ago, thaibeachlovers said:

OK for humans to kill other species for "sport", but not OK for other species to do the same to humans, even if it's just for something to eat?

I think only a small proportion of humans kill animals for sport, and that is not ok, neither is it acceptable for animals to eat humans for food, but did you really need telling that?

2 minutes ago, vogie said:

I think only a small proportion of humans kill animals for sport, and that is not ok, neither is it acceptable for animals to eat humans for food, but did you really need telling that?

I was responding to another poster that was criticising me, and pointing out the irony of someone in a hunting area being hunted.

No I don't think "sport" hunting is acceptable for a supposedly civilised species, and I don't voluntarily go into areas where the animals are likely to eat me.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, vogie said:

Happy to eat bear meat, and the skin makes a nice rug.

There you go, removed the 'sport' bit you didn't like.

17 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Why do humans think they have some sort of "right" to kill other species, but it's not OK for other species to reciprocate? It's not like the bear attacked the guy in his back yard. The guy was on the bear's territory.

Agreed, the guy was a fool for not taking a really BIG gun.

Risking your children is inexcusable.

Edited by BritManToo

5 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I was responding to another poster that was criticising me, and pointing out the irony of someone in a hunting area being hunted.

No I don't think "sport" hunting is acceptable for a supposedly civilised species, and I don't voluntarily go into areas where the animals are likely to eat me.

I notice you have edited the post I responded to, infact its a different reply.

3 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Never eaten bear meat, and never had bearskin rug, but thanks for the sarcastic reply.

2 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I don't think people go there to hunt polar bears as polar bears can fight back, but as long as people actually eat what they kill, I don't have a problem with that. Just killing for the sake of killing, I do.

3 minutes ago, vogie said:

I notice you have edited the post I responded to, infact its a different reply.

I edited it because the first post was too personal to the poster that was criticizing me. I have to remind myself to not make things personal, if I can.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

but as long as people actually eat what they kill, I don't have a problem with that. Just killing for the sake of killing, I do.

Well clearly. The bear was eating the man so you seem to be giving the bear a pass. If the man would have been armed in order to protect his children you never would have read the story "Man shoots Polar Bear on remote island". I guess if a King Cobra comes crawling into your bed with you and your missus you will tell her not to panic and blame the snake, "it lives here darling, just give it some food and it will snuggle up next to us and sleep in perfect man and beast harmony. We will be at one with nature"

14 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I have to remind myself to not make things personal, if I can.

Bejeezus, we have a pre-happy hour Friday epiphany upon us.

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

He didn't have a gun, he wasn't hunting bears. They were out exploring the coast and fishing. Is it a crime against the animal kingdom to take the kids fishing now? Do you eat bacon, pork, beef steak and chicken? if so would it be acceptable for you for packs of wild pigs to roam the streets eating kids while you say "but we eat pork so it's only fair". The sun is almost below the yardarm, go for a beer for gawds sake.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Andaman Al said:

He didn't have a gun, he wasn't hunting bears. They were out exploring the coast and fishing. Is it a crime against the animal kingdom to take the kids fishing now? Do you eat bacon, pork, beef steak and chicken? if so would it be acceptable for you for packs of wild pigs to roam the streets eating kids while you say "but we eat pork so it's only fair". The sun is almost below the yardarm, go for a beer for gawds sake.

It's stupid to go into any NA woods without a big gun, there's lots of bears around.

Not a case of humans hunting bears, but to protect yourself from bears hunting you.

• Thanks 1