town called hot

wrestler

Also called Hod....Down past Chom Thom & keep going 50? kilos.....

Not much there as I remember it....Chom Thom would be the biggest shopping area around - and it ain't much....

Hot district in the south of Chiang Mai province.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hot_District

First time I hear this name (which will always lead to some jokes).

Difficult to find something substantial about the district town (a small place like a big village).

"Downtown" Hot :smile::

https://goo.gl/maps/5GrJe72R54J2

The roundabout with the little clock tower seems somewhat unique.

Are you looking for something specific?

Do they have vegemite in Hot :biggrin:

Town not city, 83km from Chiang Mai Central Plaza.

Accommadation is available but limited.

2 Petrol Stations, 3 Gold Shops and a handful of 7/11's.

There is a small daily market in the morning.

Plenty of small family run local eateries. 

District Hospital and Police Station on hand.

Gateway to Doi Tao Lake & The Ob Luang Gorge or an overnight pit stop on the Mae Hong Son Loop. 

If you're in Amphur Hot (pronounced 'hote' as in table d' hote), please say hello for me to the ghosts of the miners who extracted the rock crystal and topaz used to create some of the rarest Thai Buddha images made in ancient times.

cheers, ~0:37;

4 hours ago, orang37 said:

If you're in Amphur Hot (pronounced 'hote' as in table d' hote), please say hello for me to the ghosts of the miners who extracted the rock crystal and topaz used to create some of the rarest Thai Buddha images made in ancient times.

cheers, ~0:37;

it is pronounced as in the thai spelling by trujillo.....  the french guy saying table d'hote on you tube doesn't come close.  I suggest that learning to read thai ( basic will help with most pronunciations) is  the best way and in my OPINION only way to get it.  I have had thai people repeat a word over and over....but really had to see

the spelling to get it.   Unlike english .thai spelling is consistent in its pronunciation.   

English ...  usage of ea in a word.    is it feather....or meat....or create.....?   

Thai  :  by no means easy to learn the vowels and vowel combinations.   confusing at first.  but they do

keep the same sound in all usages

A troll post has been removed.

9) You will not post inflammatory messages on the forum, or attempt to disrupt discussions to upset its participants, or trolling. Trolling can be defined as the act of purposefully antagonizing other people on the internet by posting controversial, inflammatory, irrelevant or off-topic messages with the primary intent of provoking other users into an emotional response or to generally disrupt normal on-topic discussion.

On 7/10/2018 at 3:23 PM, rumak said:

Unlike english .thai spelling is consistent in its pronunciation.   

Only someone who has never been able to become aware of regional differences in pronunciation of Thai would assert this. The RTG official transliteration is kind of the goal-post in a game where ... the goal posts move (with social class, and context, as well as locality), as in every other language, perhaps more so given the complexity of the tones:

comments on RTG at EFEO

The RTGS is easy and convenient but it is a limited system. This system can in no way replace a complete system of transliteration respectful of the complexity of the Thai alphabet. Only transliteration can effectively recognize the terms borrowed from classical Indian languages such as Pali and Sanskrit. This is why we also use, when this seems necessary (especially for manuscript titles), a transliteration system for the Khmer, Mul, Thai, Yuan [Northern-Thai], Lao and Tham-Lao alphabets, in use at the EFEO and published in La pureté par les mots : Saddavimala, by Bizot (François) and Lagirarde (François) in “Textes bouddhiques du Cambodge, Laos, Thaïlande [3]”, EFEO, 1996, pp. 271-275. This system has been slightly modified to fit the Unicode font standard and follow a more natural and simplified approach.

What I hear when Thais pronounce the name of the Amphur, has a long vowel quite different from any English standard vowel sound, and the final consonant is somewhere between a "d' and a "t" in standard English: it reminds me of some of the aspirated consonants in Hindi-Urdu that are very rare for English speakers to master (I never did).

~o:37;

A post commenting on moderation has been removed:

10) Do not discuss moderation publicly in the open forum; this includes individual actions, and specific or general policies and issues. You may send a PM to a moderator to discuss individual actions or email support (at) thaivisa.com to discuss moderation policy.

You will not block contact with moderators or administrators. Doing so will result in suspension.  

Link to the forum rules:  https://www.thaivisa.com/forum/terms/

Archived