U.S. marriage license Fake!

Anybody out there deal with this one?

im am American living here in Thailand going on a year next week.

Went to immigration in Mukdahan for renewal of my non “o” visa , for another year 

I was given a big run around over my marriage license might be fake.

tried to explain to them we married in u.s. , moved here and all my info had be approved before. Told me go try bkk ? <deleted> ?

Thanks for any info

Not sure what your were applying for.

I assume your applying for a one year extension of stay based upon marriage at immigration in Mukdahan.

Have you registered your foreign marriage at Amphoe to obtain a Kor Ror 22 that immigration now requires? If yes did you have it updated before going to immigration?

• Like 1

Local Immigration will not accept a foreign marriage certificate as proof of marriage.

You have to go through a 'legalisation' process, to register the foreign marriage at your local Amphur.

Then then supply a Kor Ror 2 as proof of a registered marriage, which is the only thing Immigration will accept.

You must be applying for an extension of your 'permission to stay' based on marriage. (Not a Visa).

Edited by Tanoshi
  • Like 1

Thanks for replying first off .

yes I’m trying to get another non-immigrant O , based on marriage, the same I received in u.s. d.c.

and no I never registered our marriage, I went yesterday to local government office here , they said we don’t  read English 

i asked if I get it translated, could you register the marriage? Said no , that also might be a fake.Go to your embassy and have it translated and verified.

Any way to get this done without fly to bkk?

thnx 

Edited by Kul1
  • Like 1

It will take you a while

Some pointers that will guide you to & through the troubles

Search this Forum , then keep your post up

Registering a foriegn marriage

Requirements for Extension based on Marriage 

1 minute ago, Kul1 said:

Thnx everyone , looks like I’ll be heading to Savannaket !

fun , fun

This is one of those situations where it's important to know the difference between a 'Visa' and an 'Extension'.

If you obtain a Non Imm O ME Visa from Savannakhet, during the last 30 days of any of your 90 day entries and assuming you get your marriage certificate legalised and registered at your Amphur, and provided you meet the financial requirements of 400,000 in a Thai bank for 2 months (your name only), OR an income of 40,000 baht per month (letter from US Embassy) you can apply for the 1 year 'extension based on marriage at your local Immigration office, where you can then make 90 day reports without the need to leave the Country.

You would be applying to 'extend your permission to stay' for 1 year, from one of the 90 day entries from your Visa.

It is a permit, not a Visa, and as such does not grant any entries to Thailand.

You must purchase a re-entry permit (single 1,000 baht, multiple 3,800 baht) if you want to exit/re-enter the Kingdom during the 1 year period of the extension, to keep any remaining permission to stay valid.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Kul1 said:

but Laos does have great duty free !

But be careful how much you buy.

A friend crossed with his Thai wife last year, who encouraged him to spend 50,000 baht on cigs and spirits because she could make a killing selling them off back in Thailand.

After crossing back over the border he managed to get 200 yards before being stopped by customs officers.

They confiscated the lot and fined him 10,000 baht on the spot, or come back and face the music.

To this day he isn't sure if they were 'real' customs officers, but didn't like the thought of jail time.

He never spoke to his wife for a week.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, DJ54 said:

Is it possible to get a Non-O.not based on marriage? 

There are several reasons a non-o visa can be issued for. Some embassies and consulates my not issue all of them though.

4 hours ago, Tanoshi said:

Local Immigration will not accept a foreign marriage certificate as proof of marriage.

You have to go through a 'legalisation' process, to register the foreign marriage at your local Amphur.

Then then supply a Kor Ror 2 as proof of a registered marriage, which is the only thing Immigration will accept.

You must be applying for an extension of your 'permission to stay' based on marriage. (Not a Visa).

I thought a consular letter from your own embassy stamped by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs was required?  Are you saying this is not enough?

15 minutes ago, Maestro said:

He would have to divorce first before marrying again, wouldn't he?

My understanding this is not legal as it would be polygamy by law. Saying that I personally know of individuals that were married in their home country to their Thai wife then came back to Thailand  and remarried in Thailand. They did get their affirmation to marry from their embassy in Bangkok but by do so they had to lie on the forum.

Edited by khwaibah
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, khwaibah said:

My understanding this is not legal as it would be polygamy by law. Saying that I personally know of individuals that were married in their home country to their Thai wife then came back to Thailand  and remarried in Thailand. They did get their affirmation to marry from their embassy in Bangkok but by do so they had to lie on the forum.

That’s OK. Pretty much everyone lies on this forum at some point. ?

• Sad 1

I'm assuming you are over 50. In the short term just get an extension based on retirement. You can go to the embassy in Bangkok get an affidavit stating your income, assuming that you don't have 800K parked in the bank here, then fill out a TM-7 and a couple of pics and you're done.

That will give you time to figure out 'if' the marriage extension is worth the hassle or just stick with retirement.

The only real advantage of marriage I could see was I 'think' it allows you to work

21 hours ago, khwaibah said:

Polygamy by law is the custom or practice of having more than one wife/husband at the same time.

As your marrying the same woman, it wouldn't be considered Polygamy.

However as you quite rightly point out, you'd have to lie in your 'affidavit' that you were either, single, divorced or widowed in order to remarry again, which would be committing Perjury.

17 minutes ago, GinBoy2 said:

The only real advantage of marriage I could see was I 'think' it allows you to work

The financial requirement is half that of an extension based on retirement.

A marriage extension allows you to work, but you still need a work permit.

The two applications are completely separate though.

11 minutes ago, GinBoy2 said:

I'm assuming you are over 50. In the short term just get an extension based on retirement. You can go to the embassy in Bangkok get an affidavit stating your income, assuming that you don't have 800K parked in the bank here, then fill out a TM-7 and a couple of pics and you're done.

That will give you time to figure out 'if' the marriage extension is worth the hassle or just stick with retirement.

Yes it does allow to hold a WP.

The requirement for a WP is Non Imm' visa or extension.

I think the O-A is an exception.

Immigration always seem to tell you ' you must have a B ' but that is 100% wrong. Many companies and lawyers as well believe, wrongly, you must have a B visa.

I worked for many years with various WP's for various companies and always on an O multi entry based on marraige.

The biggest benefit of using a visa and not an extension is that you keep your visa. An extension generally is cancelled, unless you are going straight to another job and then it 'can' be used to support your new WP but that depends on Imm' and your new company.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, overherebc said:

An extension generally is cancelled, unless you are going straight to another job and then it 'can' be used to support your new WP but that depends on Imm' and your new company.

That depends on the basis of how you apply for the extension.

You can apply for a normal marriage extension, providing the usual documents, without mentioning a work permit.

Having a marriage extension allows you to apply for a work permit.

Immigration and the Labour office have nothing to do with each other under these circumstances.

Changing jobs only requires a new work permit, your marriage extension is unaffected.

22 hours ago, Peasandmash said:

why don't u just get married again in thailand?

Not entirely legal.

Plus the costs and requirements would be almost the same.

Same $50 fee for the affidavit to certify his marriage certificate as the affirmation to marry. Same (or less) cost to get the translations to Thai done and the fee to have it certified.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

That depends on the basis of how you apply for the extension.

You can apply for a normal marriage extension, providing the usual documents, without mentioning a work permit.

Having a marriage extension allows you to apply for a work permit.

Immigration and the Labour office have nothing to do with each other under these circumstances.

Changing jobs only requires a new work permit, your marriage extension is unaffected.

Agree.

It's just trying to point out that companies sometimes, and I've seen it done, have stamped cancelled on an extension, honestly. I've had a couple of companies try to insist that I go to Imm' with them to cancel my visa. I have always smiled said no and just kept the passport in my pocket.

Someone who is very new to the whole visa/extension situation maybe will go along with it and get into all sorts of problems.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Doodlry said:

I thought a consular letter from your own embassy stamped by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs was required?  Are you saying this is not enough?

It is, however that depends on your Embassy

According to Joe, and I have no reason to doubt his knowledge, you can swear an 'affidavit' at the US Embassy (presumably that your divorce/death certificate is genuine). The 'affidavit' and 'certificate' can then be translated and legalised by the MFA.

The UK Embassy will not take 'affidavits' in this respect.

Any divorce/death certificate must first be 'legalised' by the UK Home office and the Thai Embassy in the UK.

Only then will the British Embassy allow you to make an 'affidavit' in respect of your marital status ( the legalised documents must be produced as proof).