Rescue Diver Killed In Tham Luang Cave Complex

webfact

1 hour ago, oldlakey said:

The correct word is dies in this case because nothing was offered as a reason for his death or what KILLED him in the headline

Rescue diver dies in Tham Luang cave complex

The BBC has their headline as the diver died not killed

The lack of oxygen, or not having enough oxygen, killed him. Does it really matter what's in the headline when all others here seem to know what happened? Who cares about the BBC's headline? A brave man has lost his life helping others.

Hairsplitter. 

• Sad 1

9 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Not in the US. Used all the time. "Killed by falling debris" "killed in a tragic accident" etc. Perhaps it varies by country but this usage is certainly not unknown.

Sent from my SM-J701F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

I am not a native speaker but isn't "died" used when it was a natural cause and "killed" when it was by murder etc. or an accident?

After seeing this

I doubt divers can make it out here with the kids. At least not when they have to struggle with their own tanks. What maybe can be done is positioning double tanks with long hoses before and after the narrow spots so they just have to change regulators and by going backwards (kid and diver head to head) can concentrate on the kids.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Fish Head Soup said:

That's not actual footage from the cave in Chiang Rai. It's footage from Wookey Hole in the UK.

Do you have a link?

Edited by Joel23

21 minutes ago, Joel23 said:

Do you have a link? 

It's not Wookey Hole as first stated. It is in fact Castle Rock Cave in Wisconsin USA.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WtlwoX1YEmg

That particular part of the cave is at 4 minutes in to the video I have linked. (different diver though).

Edited by Fish Head Soup

5 hours ago, jenny2017 said:

The lack of oxygen, or not having enough oxygen, killed him. Does it really matter what's in the headline when all others here seem to know what happened? Who cares about the BBC's headline? A brave man has lost his life helping others.

Hairsplitter. 

I beg your pardon

The word KILLED does not fit in this context

End of chat

I was commenting on the use of the English language nothing else as regards some others posters comments

Thank you

Have a nice day

• Like 1

6 hours ago, lamyai3 said:

Died is probably the better word choice agree, but killed is legitimate - the cause is implied. Here's another example from international media:

https://www.msn.com/en-xl/asia/other/final-salute-for-former-thai-navy-seal-killed-in-cave-rescue/vi-AAzFfoO

There is no cause implied in the headline

I shall withdraw now as I dont want to be accused of bickering

Have a nice day

Let us wait for the results of the investigation, a possible medical condition, let us not leap to conclusion. 

RIP a brave man and Condolences to his family and colleagues. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Wow, if accurate, that's pretty amazing on the part of the Central government.

I mean, I think this guy's role, like everything else, has probably been overplayed and trumped up by the frothing local media.  But still, he was the incident commander, apparently, and to yank him in the middle of the operation speaks volumes about those higher up in charge.

Well, as of midnight or so last night, the former governor was the one who apparently ended up still giving last night's very late media briefing on the rescue. So he's still there, apparently, just not as CR governor anymore.

18 hours ago, KKr said:

transfer was in the pipeline for months already. just a bureaucratic process and unfortunate timing

I remember that same explanation being rolled out when they transferred the top Policeman in the KT killings immediately after he identified the headsman's son and uncle as the culprits!

• Like 2

18 hours ago, yrag said:

And you self righteous one, articles  stated this...are you the critic here in these post...get a life

I have a life but I get bored with posters like you that have no idea what you are talking about and who post false information as fact.

Good bye.

Edited by billd766
edit for bad spelling after I had posted
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, saminoz said:

I remember that same explanation being rolled out when they transferred the top Policeman in the KT killings immediately after he identified the headsman's son and uncle as the culprits!

that may have been the case, I do not have the facts, and do not know whether the person identified was wrongly or correctly accused.

However this Governors transfer has been pending for months for bureaucratic reasons, and that is well known in the Provinces concerned.
In the bigger picture, this seems rather off topic by the way.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, billd766 said:

I have a life but I get bored with posters like you that have no idea what you are talking about and who post false information as fact.

Good bye.

I chalk this one off as you having another bad day...Goodbye

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 months later...