RTC "Blue Buses" Chiang Mai

Mapguy

The new bus system has only been in operation for about three months.  It can be tracked here:  http://chiangmai.yusai.asia/app/#/app/map.  Will it survive?  I wonder how much staying power it will have, especially in light of songtao and tuk tuk competition and other traditional modes of getting around, even samlor!

I believe the rate is Bt20 per ride.  Transfers from one route to another?  I don't know. 

All in all, while some will debate it, the route structure looks quite utilitarian given where people want to go in the city including major educational schools/unversities and most medical facilities.  It is basically restricted to the "Superhighway with a Huay Kaew spur to CMU and south to the airport.  No, it does not extend to Promenada, which really is a suburban shopping mall, but it will pass the new Airport Road Immigration Office when that office is operational.

The equipment looks new, air conditioned and accessible (at least on some buses) for handicapped riders.  These are large standard metro buses, probably not sized optimally for some narrow spots, but the alternatives which have been discussed for transportation in Chiang Mai haven't been practical.

The stops look reasonably distributed although I am certain there will be some comment about that.

If you look at the schedules available (and apparently you can get them on the bus, as well), it seems the service goes from about 06:30 - 23:00.  I don't ride the bus, but I have seen them throughout the day and through the evening hours.

If you spend a little time looking at the map which shows the movement of the buses and allows for highlighting routes, if you wish, it appears to update bus positions rather well given some problems with satelite connections from time to time.  It is not the best in such real-time mapping that I have seen elsewhere, but it functions if you have the internet access.

Can we just talk about the availability, route structure, cost, et cetra of what is now traversing the city?   PLEASE, don't turn this thread into a discussion of different modes of "modern" metro transportation, trams, subways or whatever!  Interesting but too extensive a subject for here.  That would make another thread, as it has in the past.  And please don't get into diesel pollution and electric-powered transport here, a  truly hot topic I share interest in, but not here!  Can we just deal with what there is and what is currently being attempted --- and experience with it?

PS  By the way, "buses" is the plural of "bus," a mode of transport.  "Busses" are kisses!

Edited by Mapguy

On the 4th of July while having lunch at Duke's in Promenada mall, it was observed, twice, a blue bus with R2 markings was present in the front where the red songtaew congregate.  This was about 1145-1215 hours.  Could the route schedule have been revised?

Could be!  To change an active on-line map probably takes quite a painstaking effort, and the RTC effort is still very young and probably still experimenting with routes.

In any case, I have rarely seen more than one or two people on a bus, but I am not around much during busy hours, as the beginning and end of the school and working days.

The RTC blue bus R2-P DOES in fact got to Promenada as I stated in an earlier posting. My only question was how early the first one got to Promenada in the morning. Also, i too hope these blue buses catch on because they are comfortable to ride, air conditioned, the fare is very reasonable at 20 baht and they stop at quite a few places along their route.

I don't speak nor read Thai but the printout seems to indicate the first bus departs at 8 am which is contrary to what one poster saying that the first bus departs at 6 am. Thus my confusion as to when exactly does the first bus depart for Promenada?

Does anyone know whether the bus goes to Ruamchok Mall/Meechok area  ?

Looking at the map, the northernmost station seem to be at Central Festival....

Edited by EricTh

I can say definitely that the RTC does not currently serve Ruamchoke Market or Meechoke Plaza.  If you look at the app map, the bus route (Purple, I recall) appears to terminate at the Thepanya Hospital at the  "T" intersection of Mae Jo Road with the "Superhighway."  BUT the app seems to lack definition.  That route to and from the center of town certainly goes to Central Festival,  How much further West on the Superhighway should be confirmed by someone who has used that route, which apparently is popular since Central Festival is on it. (I have seen blue buses (heading East) further West than Central Festival on the  Superhighway, but they seem to be in "end-of-route" parking mode near the huge Chinese restaurant there and not as far West as the hospital.

The app is not, apparently, up to date, as we have learned in the case of the Promenada route.  That is regrettable, but it certainly is understandable that this is all new and some changes are being made.

Should there be some extra stops along some routes where they are now lacking?  One route --- check it out --- goes by the British Council (and former British Consulate) as well as...ahem!... an infamous bordello without, it seems, making any stops on that road.

Edited by Mapguy
spelling
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, ChiangMaiLightning2143 said:

Beware young men on board sold a CM Transit branded rabbitt "Corporate Rabbit for Adult" 300 baht, only 100 baht value.

"No refund" and Thai smile. I got gypped!

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

What is a "corporate rabbit?"  Some sort of grey flannel suit type?

14 hours ago, Mapguy said:

I can say definitely that the RTC does not currently serve Ruamchoke Market or Meechoke Plaza.  If you look at the app map, the bus route (Purple, I recall) appears to terminate at the Thepanya Hospital at the  "T" intersection of Mae Jo Road with the "Superhighway."  BUT the app seems to lack definition.  That route to and from the center of town certainly goes to Central Festival,  How much further West on the Superhighway should be confirmed by someone who has used that route, which apparently is popular since Central Festival is on it. (I have seen blue buses (heading East) further West than Central Festival on the  Superhighway, but they seem to be in "end-of-route" parking mode near the huge Chinese restaurant there and not as far West as the hospital.

The app is not, apparently, up to date, as we have learned in the case of the Promenada route.  That is regrettable, but it certainly is understandable that this is all new and some changes are being made.

Should there be some extra stops along some routes where they are now lacking?  One route --- check it out --- goes by the British Council (and former British Consulate) as well as...ahem!... an infamous bordello without, it seems, making any stops on that road.

Why don't you spend 20 baht or so and jump on board a bus talk to the driver/conductor and pick up a paper map/timetable which is on board.  It is a pleasant experience and way of seeing the city from the height advantage of a bus rather than Tuk Tuk/Songtow .  Also beware that the App does not show all routes, just the loops and not the Airport-east/west runs.  Also as the App map does not show all the routes I would be careful about stating it is definate where the buses do or do not run to unless you have info other than from the app map.

Edited by scottiejohn

20 hours ago, Mapguy said:

I can say definitely that the RTC does not currently serve Ruamchoke Market or Meechoke Plaza.

How about Tesco Kamthieng market or just in front of Tesco?

It's such a popular place and it would be great if the bus goes there.

Anyone know if RTC Chiangmai has a LOST PROPERTY office, and contact details?

My wife left her bag on the bus...  ?

She says there's a telephone number, but nobody's answering. Maybe the company hasn't employed anyone to do this just yet.

Edit:

The second I posted this the info I requested was provided: Tel: 052 060 001, with the location above Wawee Coffee in Niman. Bag is safe and sound!

An excellent omen, methinks.

Edited by misterfloppy
Update
  • Like 2

I went to  Kad Suan Kaew today and they have a map of  the routes.

It doesn't go to Kamthieng market sadly.

I plan to take a ride from KSK to airport soon.

It doesn't seem like they have any bus stops for them to stop. They will stop anywhere on the road?

9 hours ago, hyku1147 said:

Where in Kad Suan Kaew are the maps located; do they show the pick up times?

Cheers

You can get it from the information counter. No, they don't show pick up times, just the routes.

I think you can also get it from any mall that the bus passes by like Maya or Airport plaza that has a front information counter.

Edited by EricTh
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 7/10/2018 at 5:19 PM, EricTh said:

You can get it from the information counter. No, they don't show pick up times, just the routes.

You can find the route at http://www.cmtransit.com and this is the time table http://www.cmtransit.com/timetable/ 

The time table only shows when the bus leaves first stop, it's better to check current place by the App.

I see the blue buses quite often, but never a soul sitting on them.

I even see them parked up in the vicinity of the zoo and at central festival, no one on them.

Often wondered why they don't promote better, surely if they get the uni students using them, the word will spread.

Its a great idea but to really kick arse with the red cabs and the tuk tuks, they need a few more routes adding and certainly a stop at every shopping centre

7 hours ago, eyecatcher said:

I even see them parked up in the vicinity of the zoo and at central festival, no one on them.

Often wondered why they don't promote better, surely if they get the uni students using them, the word will spread.

Its a great idea but to really kick arse with the red cabs and the tuk tuks, they need a few more routes adding and certainly a stop at every shopping centre

Same for me. I`ve those those buses several times around different parts of the town, virtually empty or with just one or two passengers on board.

7 hours ago, eyecatcher said:

Is not really surprising no one on the bus when its not in service ,, parked up

15 hours ago, eyecatcher said:

It's not surprising when you have to wait 30 to 60 minutes for one bus.

I even waited a few hours for the bus when I came back from Bangkok one day just to try out the bus at 5 am. All the red songtaew wanted to charge me 150-200 baht for short distance.

I waited at the wrong bus stop and got the merry go around by asking some local people there. Where the heck does this bus stops at Arcade?

Locals would prefer riding their own bikes or call Grab.

Edited by EricTh

16 hours ago, ironsand said:

You can find the route at http://www.cmtransit.com and this is the time table http://www.cmtransit.com/timetable/ 

The time table only shows when the bus leaves first stop, it's better to check current place by the App.

That's a good map but it's quite confusing with all the different colors and they overlap at certain sections.

I'm surprised the bus goes to Promenada but it's too late as immigration is going to move soon.

11 hours ago, cyberfarang said:

Same for me. I`ve those those buses several times around different parts of the town, virtually empty or with just one or two passengers on board.

Me too. In fact I don't know anyone - Thai or farang that has ever ridden one.

If I was single I would use them often. But anyone with Thai families know that it is an uphill battle trying to convince them to do their part to help the environment. Convenience (laziness) always comes first.

The online App is pretty good and since I live on Huey Kaew Rd, I can access a couple routes.  I've used the blue buses probably twenty times now and find them good.  Sometimes for just a short trip, like from KSK to Maya, I look at the app and see if a bus is coming soon.  Saves walking in the heat.  For longer trips, I just hang out at home (or in the hospital, since I sometimes use the app to return home from a hospital), until the app shows a bus is getting close.  The app does tend to "lag" a bit, so after the first couple time of seeing a bus whiz by as I was walking toward the bus stop, I've learned to get into position a little early.

I've never been just the only person on the bus.  Once, returning home from McCormick Hospital at 4:30 pm the bus was totally full!  Looks like the students from the schools near McCormick have figured out how to use the bus.  

1 hour ago, NancyL said:

The online App is pretty good and since I live on Huey Kaew Rd, I can access a couple routes.  I've used the blue buses probably twenty times now and find them good.  Sometimes for just a short trip, like from KSK to Maya, I look at the app and see if a bus is coming soon.  Saves walking in the heat.  For longer trips, I just hang out at home (or in the hospital, since I sometimes use the app to return home from a hospital), until the app shows a bus is getting close.  The app does tend to "lag" a bit, so after the first couple time of seeing a bus whiz by as I was walking toward the bus stop, I've learned to get into position a little early.

I've never been just the only person on the bus.  Once, returning home from McCormick Hospital at 4:30 pm the bus was totally full!  Looks like the students from the schools near McCormick have figured out how to use the bus.  

I'm all in favor of them. When I lived in Europe and America I always used public transportation unless I needed to haul something, transport pets, etc. One gets a fair amount of exercise just walking to and from bus stops, tram and metro stops, etc. Although the climate was cooler.....here you could work up a good sweat and arrive at your destination all sweaty.

16 minutes ago, elektrified said:

I'm all in favor of them. When I lived in Europe and America I always used public transportation unless I needed to haul something, transport pets, etc. One gets a fair amount of exercise just walking to and from bus stops, tram and metro stops, etc. Although the climate was cooler.....here you could work up a good sweat and arrive at your destination all sweaty.

Here the bus is ice cold and has free wifi.  Plenty of time to cool off and since I live close to a bus stop, not a problem.

• Like 1