“Buddy dive” planned for Tham Luang rescue – news report

“Buddy dive” planned for Tham Luang rescue – news report

t3.jpg

A proposed plan to rescue the “Wild Boars” soccer team trapped in Tham Luang cave could launch as soon as this weekend, according to ABC News. 

According to an internal U.S. government report obtained by ABC News, the Royal Thai navy, supported by divers from the United Kingdom, the United States and other nations, has briefed Thai military leadership, the Interior Ministry officials and the provincial governor on a proposed operation to evacuate the 12 boys and their coach from the cave alongside experienced divers, in what is being called a “buddy dive.”

It said Prime Minister Gen Prayut Chan-o-cha would be briefed on the proposal today.

ABC said despite the risks, the accelerated timeline would take advantage of the children still having high oxygen levels within the cave complex, their relatively good health and also the fact that this would occur before the heavy rains are forecast to hit the region Sunday, which could raise water levels inside the cave and make a rescue mission even more precarious, according to the document.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/buddy-dive-planned-tham-luang-rescue-news-report/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2018-07-07

Thai media reports rescue mission at Tham Luang set to start

da.png

Image: Daily News

Thai media reports that the mission to rescue the "Wild Boars" football team from the Tham Luang cave will begin within the next few hours.

According to Daily News, the mission will begin before 5am on Sunday.

A photo posted on the Daily News website also revealed that a large green cover has been placed in front of the entrance to the cave blocking the view inside, potentially suggesting a rescue operation is underway.

In the past hour there has also been heavy rain at the cave, further raising the need to starting evacuating the boys.

There has not yet been any official confirmation a rescue mission underway or is even due to start. 

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-07-07

• Sad 2

I'm sure this is all new to them ! But there is at least 7 Expert British Cave divers there plus Im sure others from other nationalities . Good luck they need as what ever option they choose it's fraught with massive danger 

My point is pegmans quote "we should have high confidence in them" under estimates the task at hand. Every boy will be different in terms of panicking. In fact maybe they will be less panicky than adults

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:
1 hour ago, pegman said:
Sounds like a sound plan. These people know what there doing. I think we should have high confidence in them.

Does the thai navy practice much diving in caves or pot holing?

I'm not sure, but I do know they're not in this alone. There are world record cave divers there who have tested the extremes of that pursuit. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, scubascuba3 said:

It was always going to be a buddy dive i.e. 2 divers one being the boy, but so risky due to panic being highly likely, i just hope they aren't winging it

I am not an expert in these things,  , and not sure of the Pros and Cons but could the children be sedated to limit the panic danger?

3 minutes ago, sirineou said:

I am not an expert in these things,  , and not sure of the Pros and Cons but could the children be sedated to limit the panic danger?

No I am a doctor, nor an expert, but a 5/1 mg Diazaphan maybe helpful.  always helps relax muscles and mind..

The meditation lessons the coach has been training the lads, will also be a positive, as they all do have trust and faith in him. 

Cheers  

GBW

• Like 2

Yes sedated but still able to follow instruction. Kids have no fear though so maybe that's the biggest advantage
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

My point is pegmans quote "we should have high confidence in them" under estimates the task at hand. Every boy will be different in terms of panicking. In fact maybe they will be less panicky than adults

I'm certain that they've already panicked enough, being trapped for two weeks now. Perhaps a great idea to drug them a bit. Only a little dose of Diazepam could be very helpful.

The weather forecast for the next days doesn't look good with thunderstorms and I think it would be very wise to do it now.

Let's all hope that nothing goes wrong and the kids will see their parents in a few hours. It's making me really nervous and I can only assume how these rescuers must feel now. Best of luck to all involved. 

Edited by jenny2017
Nervous typo
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, GBW said:

No I am a doctor, nor an expert, but a 5/1 mg Diazaphan maybe helpful.  always helps relax muscles and mind..

The meditation lessons the coach has been training the lads, will also be a positive, as they all do have trust and faith in him. 

Cheers  

GBW

I'm certain that doctors will take that into consideration. A dosage of max. 5- 7 mg of Diazepam ( Valium) could not do a damage to kids their age. ( That's from my niece, who's a doctor). It wouldn't let them panic and they'd feel relaxed. 

It takes 5-6 hours to get one of them out , unless they plan to bring the whole group out with a buddy instructing each of them . Very risky operation . 

5 minutes ago, Fish Head Soup said:

According to the Governor expert British divers are leading the rescue effort in the most perilous stretch of the dive.

Given the time it takes for the rescue divers to both get in and then exit the cave, I would expect there to be fresh teams of "buddies" for each leg of the journey out. Particularly the water routes. I think they would be too exhausted otherwise.

4 minutes ago, lannarebirth said:

Given the time it takes for the rescue divers to both get in and then exit the cave, I would expect there to be fresh teams of "buddies" for each leg of the journey out. Particularly the water routes. I think they would be too exhausted otherwise. 

Just quoting what is written here; http://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/crimecourtscalamity/calamity/2018/07/07/boys-should-come-out-today-official/

Expert British divers are leading the rescue effort in the last and most perilous stretch of the dive. Narongsak said more experts are coming to reinforce the effort tonight and tomorrow.