Brexit Secretary David Davis has resigned - source close to Davis

webfact

57 minutes ago, tebee said:

OMG! He also said said that UK would make separate deals with each European country!

"Then, in May 2016, the soon to be Brexit secretary explained how, “post-Brexit a UK-German deal would include free access for their cars and industrial goods, in exchange for a deal on everything else. Similar deals would be reached with other key EU nations. France would want to protect £3bn of food and wine exports. Italy, its £1bn fashion exports. Poland its £3bn manufacturing exports.”"

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

The resignations thankfully make that unlikely now. Looks like it will be a, hopefully, very soft Brexit now that the hard-core Brexiters have been side-lined.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Do you seriously think that the brexit voters (that 'won' the referendum) will just sit back and think 'ok, that's alright then' - as the politicians' promise to enact the referendum result is overturned by politicians?......

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

Many good points, and I'd add another - the remainers insist that our MPs are far more informed than the rest of us - and yet for some reason think Davis was less informed/intelligent etc. etc......

i.e. He didn't support their views....

Davis didn't seem to want to be informed - he seemed to think practical details were beneath him - something for lesser being to sort out.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, candide said:

OMG! He also said said that UK would make separate deals with each European country!

"Then, in May 2016, the soon to be Brexit secretary explained how, “post-Brexit a UK-German deal would include free access for their cars and industrial goods, in exchange for a deal on everything else. Similar deals would be reached with other key EU nations. France would want to protect £3bn of food and wine exports. Italy, its £1bn fashion exports. Poland its £3bn manufacturing exports.”"

50 minutes ago, tebee said:

Yep - he didn't realize how the EU works did he - somewhat of a failing for a man in his position.....

Either he is a total moron, or he knew he lied. In both cases, this is beyond belief!

4 hours ago, tebee said:

He still couldn't have done it within 2 years trade deals take typically 5-10 years to negotiate! 

Those numbers are for the EU (if they're having a good decade).

• Like 2

1 minute ago, nontabury said:

He was never in charge of the negotiations, appeaser May has all along listened to another remainer, Oliver Robbins an unelected Bureacrat.

But that doesn't absolve him from making one as a suggestion - it just seems he was content to let other do all the work.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, nontabury said:

He was never in charge of the negotiations, appeaser May has all along listened to another remainer, Oliver Robbins an unelected Bureacrat.

He may be an unelected Bureaucrat, but he's our unelected Bureaucrat....

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, tebee said:

He may be an unelected Bureaucrat, but he's our unelected Bureaucrat....

Are you sure about that. I’m not,and neither do the 17million + British people who voted to leave the hated E.U.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

Do you seriously think that the brexit voters (that 'won' the referendum) will just sit back and think 'ok, that's alright then' - as the politicians' promise to enact the referendum result is overturned by politicians?......
Absolutely. Ultimately it will be decided in a General Election and a parliamentary majority will be elected in favour of BINO and, eventually, negotiated terms for re-entering. People always end up voting in the own self-interest.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Like 1

I don’t know where you reside,but you could’t be more wrong. Here in the U.K.
most of the people know they’ve been well and truely screwed by the establishment. Luckily for Appeaser May, most people at the Moment are too involved in the World Cup. Just Waite for the future.

EFFF6FC7-F63A-47EE-9F2A-7D11B7F5E9AA.jpeg.0afa1af5bce771be06710c9eba1ee7bc.jpeg
Interesting, I never took yourself to be a vendetta/anonymous fan or using it as an example.

Although I do concur it's long overdue the establishment actually worked for the electorate not just the establishment, Brexit is a test for all.

Sent from my SM-A500FU using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, nontabury said:

I don’t know where you reside,but you could’t be more wrong. Here in the U.K.

most of the people know they’ve been well and truely screwed by the establishment. Luckily for Appeaser May, most people at the Moment are too involved in the World Cup. Just Waite for the future.

"Here in the UK..." :cheesy: ........says the Hard Brexit spokesman from his back-garden HQ.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, citybiker said:

And bearing in mind Barnier is seeking to succeed Junker & will do whatever it takes to do it.

Brussels: Power hunger authoritarians, Brexit really has shown the EU’s true dirty colour of politics.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Brexit has shown how a bunch of Charlatans within the UK’s privileged elite can convince millions of ordinary Britons to vote against their own best interests.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Brexit has shown how a bunch of Charlatans within the UK’s privileged elite can convince millions of ordinary Britons to vote against their own best interests.

No it hasn't. Most leave votes were set years ago. What are our "best interests" are, are obviously AMOI.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

The tories have been doing this for years...

But the same argument "how a bunch of Charlatans within the UK’s privileged elite can convince millions of ordinary Britons to vote against their own best interests" applies to both the leave and remain campaigns.

We all know that neither campaign was based on truth, and I've no doubt that most voters realised this - although the younger voters were (IMO) more susceptible to the lies told....

Edit - This time they were 'hoist by their own petard' as they thought they could negate UKIP's influence by allowing a referendum - convinced that the result would be remain.  And, let's be honest, if the referendum result was 'remain', there would have been none of this fighting by either politicians or the electorate! 

As it turned out, their assumption of a remain vote was proven very wrong, and they have been self-destructing ever since - as the vote didn't go the way they intended....

Edited by dick dasterdly

5 minutes ago, jayboy said:

Er, the problem with this is that all the elites - including business and finance -were fervent Remainers.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

The 21 biggest donors to the Brexit campaign

http://uk.businessinsider.com/twenty-one-biggest-donors-to-the-leave-brexit-campaign-2017-5/#21-tessa-keswick-20000-1

Actually, the list isn't complete. Putin isn't on it.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, citybiker said:

And bearing in mind Barnier is seeking to succeed Junker & will do whatever it takes to do it.

Brussels: Power hunger authoritarians, Brexit really has shown the EU’s true dirty colour of politics.

Great post. Anytime anyone lays down some hard home truths, Chomper shows confusion or just laughs it off.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, citybiker said:

Barnier is an excellent negotiator, knows all the relevant details, keeps calm and sticks to the rules.

So a very good candidate to take Junkers position in the future.