Thai boys await resumption of rescue mission after first four freed from cave

webfact

The way I heard things explained was that the rescue mission was conducted in a kind of relay system, with divers responsible for their section of the cave, at the end of which the boy being rescued would be passed to the next team who would accompany them through the next stage. In this way divers would become increasingly familiar with their section allowing the evacuations to become more streamlined and predictable.

Does anyone know who has remained with the kids? Did the British divers who I understood to have been responsible for the innermost section exit the cave overnight? 

Edited by lamyai3

Just now, lopburi3 said:

The official news briefing said the same diving team started rescue operations today aT 1100.  That conditions inside cave are the same as yesterday.

You'd have to wonder why they started so late. I'm guessing it is a supply problem such as air tanks etc.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, tomazbodner said:

There are 2 updates, one saying that rescuers entered cave at around 10 am and were to follow similar plan as yesterday. Another says 10 rescuers entered the cave at 1 pm. Are there 2 teams going in one after another? That would mimic the graphic MCOT was showing yesterday where groups would "meet" at dry points inside the cave going opposite directions. If that were true, so 20 rescuers, they might be planning on extracting more than 4 today. Possibly the rain overnight changed original plans? This isn't a confirmation of anything, but asking whether anyone else understood above updates the same or was the original 10 am entry postponed to 1 pm...?

If they used all the tanks just to rescue 4 it might be prudent to expect the same today. However, yesterday would have been a learning experience, so they may get more out today.

2 minutes ago, tropo said:

Full standard aluminium scuba tanks weigh almost 20kg. I think that is what they are using. Steel tanks will weigh more.

It's a huge undertaking to carry spare tanks into this cave... especially 2 - 4km in. They need to dive in some areas, so they have one on their back to breathe from while they carry the extra tank. In two areas the tunnel is too narrow to wear a tank, so they would be dragging their own breathing tank as well as the spare one.

steel are actually lighter an 80 steel is 15 kg, an 80 aluminium is closer to 18kg

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, tropo said:

You'd have to wonder why they started so late. I'm guessing it is a supply problem such as air tanks etc.

Actually they are a bit upset with false press reports (6 persons) based on false interpretation of intercepted communications and drone flying in violation of rules by press I believe.

Edit:  above about press conference - not actual rescue operation time.

Edited by lopburi3

1 minute ago, seajae said:

steel are actually lighter an 80 steel is 15 kg, an 80 aluminium is closer to 18kg

I didn't realize that. I've only ever dived with aluminium tanks. I should have mentioned in my weight calculation I'm referring to 95 cu ft tanks. I'm not sure what the rescuers are using, but they look that big.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mainhattencitizen said:

You have to give the divers some rest too. Would not want them to go in there tired.

I understand that, but I don't believe that's the reason for the overnight break. If they had the supply they would have continued IMO. If they needed more divers they would have them. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, tropo said:

I didn't realize that. I've only ever dived with aluminium tanks. I should have mentioned in my weight calculation I'm referring to 95 cu ft tanks. I'm not sure what the rescuers are using, but they look that big.

we used steel tanks and at the start we used j valves as well(reserve air) before k valves took over, originally we used 72's(steel) them went to 80's, these days its mostly aluminium though, steel is a thinner than aluminium which is why it is lighter by a few kg, they are also smaller than the aluminium tanks for the same size

Edited by seajae
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, tropo said:

Doesn't matter really. Only 1 can be carried by each person, unless carrying one on the back as well. I doubt I could have carried two through those tunnels.

Whatever, the access is very difficult, with narrow tunnels and the floor covered by the water pipes, of which there are many.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

However, yesterday would have been a learning experience, so they may get more out today.

Lessons learned, sure they will have learn t many & hope they help them in todays successful operation.

5 minutes ago, seajae said:

steel is a thinner than aluminium which is why it is lighter by a few kg, they are also smaller than the aluminium tanks for the same size

Steel is 2.5 times heavier than aluminum, thickness is immaterial? 

3 minutes ago, lamyai3 said:

From what I understand one of the choke points is only 38cm and doubles back like a u bend - the divers have to remove their tanks to get through. I can't see how anything this big could work. 

The flexible bags he made as well might have worked though. I'd say his tube will come in handy for things like rescue from sunken boats. Whatever, it is a good idea.

• Like 1

And another tweet, this one a ThaiVisa retweet. Current time is about 3:30 pm in Thailand if I've looked it up properly, so we might be getting some news soon. The tweet is an hour old, so the ambulances would have arrived about 2 hours ago now.

Thaivisa retweeted
Florian Witulski Florian Witulski 59m
Three additional ambulances arrived at the cave about an hour ago. Further survivors are expected from 4pm local time onwards

you can also get side tanks(at the hip), knew a few guys that used them when we dived caves as back ups or even pony bottles for an emergency but in tight spaces they would be cumbersome

1 hour ago, ginjag said:

EMERGENCY   evacuation because of drastic oxygen levels falling,   This morning I could not believe my eyes when it stated that they had a lack of full tanks of oxygen so it delayed the rest of the rescue.    May I ask who is the organiser of ordering enough full oxygen tanks ???     They should have been in place with more than  enough needed a week ago.  Now no news today yet.  WHY ???     have the kids oxygen enough in the cave   ??

And are you simple?

Numerous spare "oxygen" tanks need be distributed throughout the cave to allow divers to replenish on the move.

Those tanks cannot be restocked with the children being extracted. 

Nor can the extraction divers work endlessly around the clock without rest.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, jerry921 said:

And another tweet, this one a ThaiVisa retweet. Current time is about 3:30 pm in Thailand if I've looked it up properly, so we might be getting some news soon. The tweet is an hour old, so the ambulances would have arrived about 2 hours ago now.

Thaivisa retweeted
Florian Witulski Florian Witulski 59m
Three additional ambulances arrived at the cave about an hour ago. Further survivors are expected from 4pm local time onwards

Your time is correct. Its now 3:37 thai time

• Like 1