Tham Luang cave rescue: Tense wait for remaining 5

webfact

22 minutes ago, Kerryd said:

When they brought the first group out it was noted that the media were spying on the rescuer's radio frequencies and using drones to try and get pictures of the boys when they first came out of the cave.

Maybe that is how the names of the first four got out into the international press. Just checked and the name details I read online on the day have not been retracted since. The Thai authorities were much more careful about hiding identities after the first rescue and rightly so.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kerryd said:

What next, someone going to suggest that they may have developed "bat like" senses while in the cave and have an unnatural affinity for sucking blood ?  :dry:

That, or one of them will become the Thai Batman!

• Haha 1

Well, that was an adventure of a lifetime, hiking 5 km inside a cave during flood season with twelve young boys is no small accomplishment. I bet they had no idea what the coach had planned for them. 

• Sad 1

Now one can see why they put the 20 hr time frame till the next attempt

They are going to need to supply a lot more bottles

* The rescue divers are covered

* Normal amount as before + extra for the 5 th person

* extra's for the Doc & who ever else is in there ( maybe 2 SEALS )

• Like 1

Heavy rain forecast for Chiang Rai

By The Nation

Heavy rains will on Tuesday hit Chiang Rai, the province where five footballers remain trapped in a cave, warns the Meteorological Department.

The daily weather forecast, issued at 4am on Tuesday, predicts rain for 70 per cent of the areas of Chiang Rai, Mae Hong Son, Chiang Mai, Lamphun, Lampang, Tak, Kamphaeng Phet, Phichit and Phitsanulok.

The rain will be heavy in some areas.

The forecast added that the country’s Central, East, Northeast and Bangkok zones would also have rain over 70 per cent of their areas, while rain will fall on 80 per cent of the South.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30349724

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-07-10
  • Sad 2

No need to worry about rain....

Gen Buncha Duriyaphan, an army commander involved in the operation, said he had been asking Pra Pirun, the god of rain, for three days’ reprieve to conduct the operation. He said praying for an extension may be viewed as indulgent. “If I ask for more, he might not grant it,” he said.

https://www.theguardian.com/news/2018/jul/09/divers-prepare-to-re-enter-cave-as-thai-rescue-restarts

• Confused 1

UPDATE:

Video: Elon Musk is INSIDE Tham Luang cave testing rescue sub

ELON.jpg

Elon Musk meeting with rescuers at Tham Luang on 9 July. Image: Thai Georgraphers Facebook. 

American tech entrepreneur Elon Musk has tweeted that he is already at the Tham Luang cave with a prototype of the mini submarine he is hoping can be used to recuse the boys and their coach who remain trapped inside the cave.

Full story: https://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/1047603-video-elon-musk-is-inside-tham-luang-cave-testing-rescue-sub/

• Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, Kerryd said:

When they brought the first group out it was noted that the media were spying on the rescuer's radio frequencies and using drones to try and get pictures of the boys when they first came out of the cave.

Remember as well that on the day the first group (of 4) came out there were "confirmed reports" that 6, and even 7, boys had been rescued. As we know (now) those reports were BS. 
I believe one Thai TV station was showing pictures of some of the boys on what looked like some kind of ID tag/marker. I'm not sure if those were the boys who were in the first group or just random pics of some of group.

True, so many wrong informations, especially the first day , that now I wait officials informations; I don't know how an American newspaper can know the names of the kids if Thai authorities didn't give them ; medias ? they are ready to say anything to attract attention 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

This is going to make one hell of a movie where hopefully we can find out some of the facts that may be missing .

Lets hope its all over today so I can get some sleep.

The way I see it there is still 7 to get out. 4 boys, the coach and 2 seals. Maybe this is the reason for the 4 pm start as reported to get so many air tanks in place. 

Lets hope the success continues today!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, AsianAtHeart said:

My intuition tells me that rain will not have an immediate effect.  I would expect the flood waters to swell most in about 4 - 12 hours from the downpour.

I don't think the rain directly overhead will be a major concern, but rain already fallen on the mountain range elsewhere may have started its ingress already. Its all part of the same ecosystem. 

• Like 1

They pump out much more water now than before according to Thai PBS 3
A factor 10
Rain should not be an issue.
I forsee levels lower than ever during this operation.

If mentioned before I beg your pardon.
Can't scroll it all.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Meanwhile I really hope they have given the rescued boys their pad krapao mu by now!! Heard yesterday they were being limited to rice soup which seems excessive after a week of refeeding already.

Sent from my SM-J701F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

I'm not sure if they have been introduced to solids yet, I had assumed they have been living off the energy gels getting the proteins and minerals back into their bodies while in the caves. Takes a bit of time for the digestive system to re-adapt after that stuff.

Could be wrong there though.

Edited by chrisinth
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Xonax said:

You should think at little bit more yourself, before you post anything. The only thing you would need to protect are the eyes, and sunglasses would be the only appropriate thing for that.

And a sleeping mask would be even better and more secure. 

• Like 2

Rainfall in cave area relatively light, rescue effort unaffected

By The Nation

Rainfall in the area of Tham Luang Cave in the past 24 hours has not raised water levels enough to hamper continuing rescue operations, Royal Irrigation Department officials said on Tuesday morning.

They said the latest rainfall so far had no effect on the effort because 400 officials from various agencies, including the department, had identified and blocked the main sources of water flowing into the cave.

All known channels of inflow from creeks above the cave had been diverted or blocked.

The Hydro and Agro Informatics Institute reported on its website that, as of 7am Tuesday, 7.2mm of rain had fallen in the area over 24 hours, in stark contrast to the 59.4mm that led to cave flooding on June 20.

The subterranean water level remained high when the Wild Boars football team arrived to explore the cave on June 23 and kept climbing, trapping them inside.

Floodwater was still being drained from the cave on Tuesday morning.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30349729

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-07-10
  • Thanks 1

" Prime Minister Prayuth Chan-ocha visited the cave to inspect the operation and was quoted by Narongsak as saying he didn't want to see this kind of incident happen again on Thai soil."

New laws coming then? 

big fine and jail term if tresspass in caves?

I agree with laws on certain stuff but if not careful they will turn Thailand to be infected with nanny state thinking.

ie. when they cant think of sensible laws to pass they dream up all sorts of endless BS,

thinking it makes them look good.

no please Thailand, already happen in places like Australia i believe

• Like 1
  • Haha 1