Trapped footballer’s multilingual skills warm teachers’ hearts

webfact

4 minutes ago, Thian said:

During the rescue-dive the kids can communicate with the farang divers is what i heard, i wonder what language they speak underwater.

One diver in each team is Thai. They're sending them through in a kind of relay system, one section at a time 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, lamyai3 said:

One diver in each team is Thai. They're sending them through in a kind of relay system, one section at a time 

Oh i see,  that's a lot easier for the boys.

My Czech mate would laugh at me for speaking only one language. He was fluent in 7 languages. Ended up as a Russian tank commander escaped went to Italy to seek refuge with the US embassy. Once they got all his information on computers they threw him out. Ended up working with the Spanish foreign legion in Africa. Now there were the scary stories. When he arrived into Oz was an immediate hit as he could tap into the Centrelink computer and send extra funds to recipients alive or dead. So I would say computers are more important, but another language is helpful.

I am fluent in English and the universal language of 'Too much' 'pang'. I survived for 12 months up north plus my phone to phone home when I couldn't break negotiations. 

• Confused 2

23 minutes ago, Aforek said:

There are more than 200 countries on this planet, and I don't know how many languages; sure, language barrier is a real problem, and we need a common language; for different reasons,  it happens to be English, I don't complain, I like it and it's not very difficult  ( for Europeans at least ) 

it's good that every child in every school of the world learns English , to communicate with the others;

for the story of the cave, the first contact was in English , between a foreigner and a Thai person, it shows how important it is ( but I am personally happy to know Thai language, learning the language of other peoples is wonderful ) 

It was only one boy who could communicate with those divers and he is Burmese not Thai. Obviously not all Thai learn English at school. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, pegman said:

It was only one boy who could communicate with those divers and he is Burmese not Thai. Obviously not all Thai learn English at school. 

I spoke in the future ; long way to go I know, I should have said " it would be ideal if every child in the world could learn English at school " 

22 minutes ago, pegman said:

I spoke in the future ; long way to go I know, I should have said " it would be ideal if every child in the world could learn English at school " 

• Thanks 1

Delete ‘learn’ and add ‘understand’, then I’d agree with you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It was a great scene to hear him communicate with the two British divers. Not so good when out of 12 kids he was the only one he could speak basic stuff and he is Burmese. 

Thailand is generations away from having a proficient English speaking nation. 

Look on the bright side, it was one more than who could swim!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, webfact said:

Adul, who is an ethnic minority child living just over the border

I guess that means he's not "Thai" and therefore will not have the opportunity to further his education by going to college regardless of his grades. Has this been changed?

11 minutes ago, gr8fldanielle said:

I guess that means he's not "Thai" and therefore will not have the opportunity to further his education by going to college regardless of his grades. Has this been changed?

No, he can further his education in Myanmar

• Like 1

4 hours ago, lamyai3 said:

Yes, the teams would run the same section of cave repeatedly, so that they get increasingly familiar with the route each time. Then the boy is handed over to the next team, introduced and given any instructions specific to the forthcoming section. The success so far suggests it's an incredibly well thought through plan. 

Well said. So much for the Nay Sayers!

• Like 1

I think the boys are using a agua type mask they can be equipped with wireless comms I don’t know for sure but I did see a photo in one of the threads a few days back and the agua mask would be an good choice for the job and a reassuring voice understood or not would be reassuring for a novice diver 

5 hours ago, Thian said:

During the rescue-dive the kids can communicate with the farang divers is what i heard, i wonder what language they speak underwater.

Divers don't speak much of any language underwater, it's all eye movements, body contact, hand signals and (probably primarily in this instance) tugs on lines and tethers... the universal language of divers.

Edited by NanLaew
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, BobbyL said:

Thailand is generations away from having a proficient English speaking nation. 

..and LONG may it continue.

Or, be careful of what you wish for.

Edited by NanLaew
  • Sad 1

10 minutes ago, pegman said:

Well maybe someone can start an Educational  Trust for him so he has that opportunity. There would likely be enough $$$ roll in to send him to an Ivy League school. Maybe Oxford would give him a scholarship.  This story is worldwide. Who knows what could catch fire. ...

Let's not get too carried away now. I need him to make coffee in our Yangon office and we'll see how it goes from there, OK?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, sanemax said:

No, he can further his education in Myanmar

No he can't. His language prowess is afforded by being a diligent student at a Christian-based Thai outreach on the borders. There's bugger all that comes close on his Burmese side of the border. There are similar initiatives in Myanmar but as a rule, they aren't collocated (or aren't permitted to collocate) in the more remote, northern ethnic minority states of their Union.

• Like 1