The boys trapped in the Thailand cave could face an unusual disease

webfact

The boys trapped in the Thailand cave could face an unusual disease

By PETRINA CRAINE

boys.jpg

In this July 3, 2018, image taken from video provided by the Royal Thai Navy Facebook Page, Thai boys smile as Thai Navy Seal medic help injured children inside a cave in Mae Sai, northern Thailand.

As the rescue efforts for the 12 boys and their coach trapped in a flooded Thailand cave have continued, the world has been hoping for the entire group's safe return to the surface.

But after surviving the weather conditions, severe body stresses and unimaginable emotional distress of being trapped for days in dark, wet caverns, the 13 have more challenges ahead. All that time inside the caverns has exposed them to a dangerous and rare infection, often called "cave disease."

What is 'cave disease?' 
Cave disease, also called speleonosis, is an infection with a fungus called Histoplasma capsulatum. It was first described in the 1940s as an “unusual” lung disease affecting a group of men camping in an abandoned storm cellar. The fungus is naturally found all over the world, thriving in settings ranging from the caves of Asia to the fertile riverbanks of the Mississippi River, according to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. It grows in soil, aided by nutrients it gets from bat and bird droppings.

Full story: https://abcnews.go.com/Health/boys-trapped-thailand-cave-face-unusual-disease/story?id=56454631

-- ABC NEWS 2018-2018-07-10

2 hours ago, Spidey said:

Do you really think that you will find bat and bird droppings 4 km into a complex cave system?

Another nonsensical story from the American news media.

Clickety click?

Edited by evadgib
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, lemonjelly said:

More worrying is the swarm of parasites that will descend and hover around the hospital beds whilst bearing gifts of chicken broth as a rue to feed on publicity so as to gather strength for the voting season.

Probably deck the beds in yellow flowers. 

This is the story the Thai "controllers" have put about so that they can keep the 8 rescued boys out of the limelight (and all the parents possibly kept in the dark), until all are rescued.  I would hazard a guess that the last boys out will not need to be kept in isolation anywhere near as long as the first 4....

4 hours ago, Spidey said:

Do you really think that you will find bat and bird droppings 4 km into a complex cave system?

Another nonsensical story from the American news media.

Spidey, news groups/reporters have to report. Face it. If they don't have anything to report, they look outside the box or they'll make a statement based on their own opinion. The american news media didn't post this story to Thaivisa. Obviously the poster thought it relevant. Are/were there any bats in this cave? Does it have to be 4 knms inside the cave to be a concern? I'd think, from reading the bits about it, that 'all' the people involved with the cave have potential to be exposed. Whether it's relevant or not, they got credit for a report.

BTW, my opinion of the american newsgroups (MSNBC, CNN, CBS, ABC, Fox & NBC) is pretty low, too. I watch/read the BBC mostly, but even they go off on tangents.

The only thing they will be infected with after a 15 day recuperation period with some antibiotics if need be 

will be the ghosts of the cave.

This is a classic case of media irresponsibility searching for anything that the opposition has not already

come up with. They will be fine

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Jonmarleesco said:

Birds? Probably not. Bats? Very likely.

Having done a fair bit of potholing in my youth, I can assure you that 4km into a complex cave system there are no signs of any form of organic life. Bats don't venture beyond the first large cavern in a cave system.

Edited by Spidey

9 minutes ago, Spidey said:

Having done a fair bit of potholing in my youth, I can assure you that 4km into a complex cave system there are no signs of any form of organic life. Bats don't venture beyond the first large cavern in a cave system.

....or past the first chamber that floods, which in this cave looks to the back of the main entrance.