What is this diabolical weed?

We simply call them daisies because that is what the flower resembles, but they have become the bane of our existence lately. I have only been up in this area for 7 years, but even I remember a time when they weren't so common. Now they are absolutely everywhere. You can cut them down but they grow back if you leave any stem. Not only that they produces massive amounts of seeds that stick to everything and are spread easily. Not only that, the spread out there roots and produce daughter plants. And not only that, when you cut them down if the stems are laying against the ground they will generate roots and begin again. And they don't all bloom at the same time. Some shoot up quickly and flower within weeks, others just hang back and wait. Roundup seems to be the only way forward, but I am trying so hard to get away from sprays.

We have a tea plantation which is jammed full of them lately. I have noticed this year, that even the well established tea farms are totally full of these horrible things too. I don't remember that happening before.

daisy.jpg

Looks like bidens alba or bidens pilosa.  In which case they have proven to be somewhat glyphosate resistant. The recommended way to remove is to pull up entire root and remove the whole plant from site, because as you say, cutting them and leaving them on the ground will actually encourage their spread.  There are herbicides that will kill it, but the best way may be to plant something less offensive that will out compete it while not taking anything from your tea bushes.

2 hours ago, Kieran00001 said:

Looks like bidens alba or bidens pilosa.  In which case they have proven to be somewhat glyphosate resistant. The recommended way to remove is to pull up entire root and remove the whole plant from site, because as you say, cutting them and leaving them on the ground will actually encourage their spread.  There are herbicides that will kill it, but the best way may be to plant something less offensive that will out compete it while not taking anything from your tea bushes.

Thanks for info. Pretty hard to get something else to out compete that stuff though. Maybe I could find a grass type that would work.

Is it possible to get bulk grass seed? Something low maintenance.

5 minutes ago, canuckamuck said:

Thanks for info. Pretty hard to get something else to out compete that stuff though. Maybe I could find a grass type that would work.

Is it possible to get bulk grass seed? Something low maintenance.

Sure, its called ya, the seed shops sell a cheap fodder variety.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, canuckamuck said:

I will look into it. Thanks

By the way, all grass and weeds are called ya here.

True, but if you ask for ya seeds then they will give you either the expensive lawn type grass seeds or fodder, unlikely they will try to sell you weed seeds.  ?

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Kieran00001 said:

True, but if you ask for ya seeds then they will give you either the expensive lawn type grass seeds or fodder, unlikely they will try to sell you weed seeds.  ?

1 hour ago, canuckamuck said:

I will look into it. Thanks

By the way, all grass and weeds are called ya here.

Ya is the collective  noun  for grass, Ya Con, Para grass, Ya Nappier Nappier grass, etc , if you can find a shop that sells expensive lawn type grass seed, around here you can buy fodder grass seed, no problem ,but I have never seen lawn grass seed for sale if you want a  specific grass verity ,go in to the shop and ask for that verity, if the shop is even half decent  the seed bags will have the name of the grass seed verity printed on the bag.

10 minutes ago, kickstart said:

Ya is the collective  noun  for grass, Ya Con, Para grass, Ya Nappier Nappier grass, etc , if you can find a shop that sells expensive lawn type grass seed, around here you can buy fodder grass seed, no problem ,but I have never seen lawn grass seed for sale if you want a  specific grass verity ,go in to the shop and ask for that verity, if the shop is even half decent  the seed bags will have the name of the grass seed verity printed on the bag.

Its not a problem, there are a variety of grass seeds available in Thailand.

http://www.turfgreen2.com/category/2/เมล็ดพันธุ์หญ้า