After Trump hails release of Thai kids, netizens ask: what about immigrant children?

webfact

After Trump hails release of Thai kids, netizens ask: what about immigrant children?

By The Nation

ff1b954f3186fb2f86e1c576be00529c.jpeg

Donald Trump's tweets in response to the rescue of 12 children from a Chiang Rai cave have drawn scorn, with netizens slamming the US president for being "ignorant to domestically detained immigrant children".

Trump’s tweet on Tuesday at 7.39 pm, Thai time, says: “On behalf of the United States, congratulations to the Thai Navy SEALs and all on the successful rescue of the 12 boys and their coach from the treacherous cave in Thailand. Such a beautiful moment - all freed, great job!"

Despite the positive tone, followers of Trump's personal account @realDonaldTrump raged at what they said was hypocrisy given ongoing immigrant detentions in four US states bordering Mexico.

A crackdown on illegal immigration at the US border has stirred controversy around the world for a detention policy of separating children from their immigrating parents without measures in place to eventually reunite them. A request by the Trump administration to allow long-term detention of illegal immigrant children was rejected by a federal judge on Monday.

"Great news!! Congrats to all of the Thai parents who have been reunited with their children," tweeted Holly Figueroa O'Reilly, a Trump critic who once won a legal case over the president blocking her on Twitter.

"Time for you to do the same at our border." O'Reilly added.

On Sunday, Trump drew an avalanche of criticism when he tweeted, "The U.S. is working very closely with the Government of Thailand to help get all of the children out of the cave and to safety. Very brave and talented people!" Netizens quickly accused the famously publicity-hungry president of exploiting the drama, calling him a “PR freerider" cashing in on US-based tech tycoon Elon Musk's vows to assist with the rescue operation in Chiang Rai.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30349823

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-07-11
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

So tired of the trump cheerleaders and the anti trump cheerleaders squabble like spoiled kids. Serves no useful purpose other than to cheer for your team.  Give me someone who politely agrees or disagrees and sticks to facts or theories and not personal attacks.  We all have different ideas and values and that is ok. Don’t have to choose sides and become followers of any man or woman. 

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, hansnl said:

ehhh, slightly, ehhhh, stupid

Can you please define that term? I never heard it before and are not familiar with it. Can it be something a stupid person would say, or is it a personally made up expression?

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

Trump. Any gripes you have in life are due to Trump. Anything from warts to not having money is trumps fault. You holy duty is to bitch about him until you die.

Or so I've learned from the mighty netizens.

In a sense you are correct..

Stephen Fry says exactly the same thing-this man is "the most popular chap on Earth.."in the sense of "netizens" and comments..

The greater question is-who,exactly,needs netizens?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, oldrunner said:

The Netzens forget one important thing, the boys and their coach, they are all LEGAL THAIS not illegal border sneakers and welfare grabbers from down South. Go back to where you came from and apply at your nearest American Embassy as my first wife did.

They are not all Legal Thais, at least three of the kids, and the coach,  are stateless non Thais.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/world/asia/105402167/thai-cave-coach-three-boys-stateless

Edited by Peterw42
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, oldrunner said:

The Netzens forget one important thing, the boys and their coach, they are all LEGAL THAIS not illegal border sneakers and welfare grabbers from down South. Go back to where you came from and apply at your nearest American Embassy as my first wife did.

After the four Horsemen of the Apocalypse the Dunning-Krugerrite "Netizens" must run a close Fifth.

2 hours ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

You don't see that there's a comparison to be made between reuniting children with their parents on the one hand and forcibly separating them and keeping them apart, on the other?

No, but that is because I can also distinguish between the "reuniting children" having had bad luck with their supervisor doing something legal within their (own) country and "forcibly separating children" having bad luck with their supervisors doing something illegal in a country that they are attempting to enter.

Nevermind the child trafficking that is happening. No, I cannot produce you the evidence for that nor any numbers for that matter, I've been on the planet long enough though.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wake Up said:

So tired of the trump cheerleaders and the anti trump cheerleaders squabble like spoiled kids. Serves no useful purpose other than to cheer for your team.  Give me someone who politely agrees or disagrees and sticks to facts or theories and not personal attacks.  We all have different ideas and values and that is ok. Don’t have to choose sides and become followers of any man or woman. 

Your just trying to spoil the illusion of democracy & politics, you will be wanting folks to face reality next ? 

Sure the "Capitalists" wouldn't appreciate your thoughts!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

40 minutes ago, jspill said:

90% of children at the border are unaccompanied, so they aren't being separated from parents - their parents sent them. In fact, it's left wing policies like welfare and catch & release that are separating kids from parents - they know that there's a good chance the kids they send alone will get into America and get free stuff, so they send the kids off. Terrible. If we removed that incentive, those kids wouldn't be sent off, often getting raped en route.

That´s not the object here. The object is the ones that is separated.