Replacing the Fan for Intel i5-2500K CPU

MikeWill

Fan for Intel i5-2500K @ 3.30GHz CPU

When I start my PC, often times I get an error: CPU Over Temperature - press F1.

I go to BIOS and see that CPU fan sometimes doesn't work. 

And when it works, the fan is also very noisy.  

Can someone recommend a shop in Bangkok that sells and can replace the fan? I afraid, I can't replace it myself.

Likely it is only dirty.

Open the PC case and look at it and you should see it. You can use a vacuum cleaner to clean it.

In theory you can remove the fan from the CPU, clean it, and then reinstall it again.

But be careful with that. Sometimes, after years, the plastic is not flexible anymore and when you try to remove or reinstall it then it might break.

And if even only one of those 4 plastic "screws" breaks then you need a new fan (together with that plastic cage).

If you go to a shop and ask them to clean it look if they remove the fan and look at those plastic leg. If they break it they might reinstall it without telling you. But soon your PC will overheat because the fan is not properly installed...

Or maybe you have to buy a new fan. I just checked here:

https://www.lazada.co.th/catalog/?q=intel+cpu+fan+1155&_keyori=ss&from=input&spm=a2o4m.searchlist.search.go.539754cbbYYgYu

Was in Pantip last week and noticed in the display cabinet of one of the small repair shops on the 2nd or 3rd floor at the back many I5 fans for sale. Don't remember the particular shop or the prices or if your particular model is available but it may be worth a visit. Replacing the fan is not very complicated and I'm sure could quite easily be done by the pantip people.

4 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Likely it is only dirty. 

Open the PC case and look at it and you should see it. You can use a vacuum cleaner to clean it.

Support this.

You can hardly believe what you see after a year so.

6 hours ago, MikeWill said:

a shop in Bangkok

The job is fairly trivial and can be done at most computer repair booths/shops.

So if you have a preferred area/district someone might give a pointer if Pantip is inconvenient.

35 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

If you don't remove it there is no need to apply new thermal paste.

I've had the problem with my fan when the plastic crap broke and I found a replacement at Advice for 800 baht. 

It's usually very easy to replace a fan and to apply some thermal paste takes only three seconds when changing/cleaning the fan.

It's often dut, little animals, usually ants who cause huge problems. I'd also look for tiny wires/ cables that might block the blade from spinning. 

1 hour ago, OneMoreFarang said:

If you don't remove it there is no need to apply new thermal paste.

When you remove the fan, the heat-sink would become "loose" and the old, dried (stone hard) thermal paste wouldn't do it's job anymore when you tighten down the newly cleaned fan.

8 hours ago, Vacuum said:

When you remove the fan, the heat-sink would become "loose" and the old, dried (stone hard) thermal paste wouldn't do it's job anymore when you tighten down the newly cleaned fan.

That's absolutely right. Why not doing something useful when you can access it easily? 

Archived