‘Wild Boars’ likely to be discharged on Thursday

Jonathan Fairfield

‘Wild Boars’ likely to be discharged on Thursday

By The Nation 
Chiang Rai

n1.jpeg

The 12 Mu Pa (Wild Boar) Academy footballers and their coach will all be discharged from hospital on Thursday, Public Health Minister Dr Piyasakol Sakolsatayadorn said on Saturday.

Piyasakol visited the young footballers at the Chiangrai Prachanukroh Hospital on Saturday morning after their spectacular rescue from the flooded Tham Luang cave in Chiang Rai province.

He said the youths were recovering well and were staying in the hospital to receive the full dose of antibiotics for seven days in accordance with the treatment plan.

Piyasakol said all the youths were in good spirits and though they were in quarantine, their families could visit them with strict hygiene safeguards.

If no infections were detected, the Wild Boars would all be discharged on Thursday, Piyasakol added.

He said there was concern that the youths could be vulnerable to infection from visitors when recovering at home, as they were still weak.

Piyasakol said the Wild Boars may be invited to speak to the media but psychiatrists would like their mental scars to be healed first before reflecting on their 18-day ordeal.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30350077

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-7-14

I don't know if it's me who has missed it, but I have not seen much (or anything?) of the courageous Assistant Coach, Khun Ek, in the videos (taken in hospital) or heard of any comments he has made.

I am curious as to why this might be. Probably he just needs to be left alone, with loads of time to recuperate - and to prepare for the media onslaught which will occur when he gets out of hospital. Hope he will be OK ...

Edited by Eligius
  • Like 2

Maybe shown already in TVF, but I just found a video I had not seen yet

they say they are strong and thanks people who help to save them : title say "they speak for the first time " 

Edited by Aforek
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

He said there was concern that the youths could be vulnerable to infection from visitors when recovering at home, as they were still weak.

Sounds like they are doing a good job of weakening there immune systems by giving them antibiotics for nothing?

2 hours ago, Eligius said:

I don't know if it's me who has missed it, but I have not seen much (or anything?) of the courageous Assistant Coach, Khun Ek, in the videos (taken in hospital) or heard of any comments he has made.

I am curious as to why this might be. Probably he just needs to be left alone, with loads of time to recuperate - and to prepare for the media onslaught which will occur when he gets out of hospital. Hope he will be OK ...

Agree, and I hope there is someone monitoring the media to ensure no unethical naive, ignorant reporters get anywhere near them.

IMHO there is some danger here, I can just imagine: "where you frightened?", "did you think you would die?", "how many ghosts did you see?" etc. 

Edited by scorecard
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Eligius said:

To answer my own question: there is now a brief self-presentation by each of the boys and the Assistant Coach, Khun Ek, on video here:

It is good to see them looking so well and in such positive spirits. Refreshing to the heart.

One has the impression that they may have been guided in what to say (all mentioning what food they would like to eat) and whom to thank, etc. - but by God, it's good to see these youngsters safe, sound, healthy and vibrant once again after their amazing ordeal. Brave bunch - every last one of them.

4 hours ago, Aforek said:

Maybe shown already in TVF, but I just found a video I had not seen yet

they say they are strong and thanks people who help to save them : title say "they speak for the first time " 

Sorry, Aforek - you beat me to it, and I did not see your post (when I posted a link to that same video just now).

Isn't it grand to see all these brave youngsters looking so well and in good spirits? I am so very pleased for them.

That coach should be recognized as the person who was primary for keeping those boys alive. I'm not sure if he had access to an accurate weather forecast but once in that cave he did everything right to keep the kids as healthy as possible, keep the moral up, conserve scarce resources, etc. 

I'm struck by how young the coach looks. If they hadn't shown his name I would have thought he was one of the boys, maybe 18 years old.

Local KFC should seize the free publicity set up by the boy who wants KFC (more than Thai food!) and have a lot of free food delivered.

Hope someone advises the kid to sign an endorsement contract and do paid commercials later on.

Hello, KFC? Can you deliver? We're in cave #5...