VIDEO: British cave explorer Vern Unsworth considers legal action against Elon Musk

webfact

6 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

he further asserted that there is no other reason why a white man would live in Thailand.

He must of got really triggered to say that or he is just another ignorant jackass

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

There was more than one tweet and he made it abundantly clear that he meant pedophile. he further asserted that there is no other reason why a white man would live in Thailand.

Ironic given he's white & born in Pretoria.

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, JLCrab said:

I would think should the (correction) British diver actually file civil claims against him that Mr. Musk would have a good basis to counter sue that his intentions in Thailand, even if mis-guided, were honorable and he didn't need to be told where to shove his mini-sub.

The (very) big difference is that the accusation made by Mr Musk is very serious since, if true, it would lead to a criminal charge and most probably prison for the accused.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Brunolem said:

The (very) big difference is that the accusation made by Mr Musk is very serious since, if true, it would lead to a criminal charge and most probably prison for the accused.

The Brit diver made his accusations on CNN which could be considered as slander. Charges where?

And I think any jury would look at the circumstances that provoked Mr. Musk and take them into consideration as to who is and to what extent at fault.

Edited by JLCrab
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Musk deleted all these tweets and has been absent on twitter since, I think we can assume his lawyers have made clear the seriousness of this.

Best outcome at this point would be a public apology and retraction by Musk. Nothing else will put a quick stop to this unpleasant and unfortunate incident, and a quick stop is certainly what it merits.

Without it, Vern is in a very difficult position since failure to take action could be interpreted as meaning there was truth in the slur. I'm sure he has no desire to get embroiled in what would be a long drawn out legal suit with attendant publicity but in the absence of a retraction/apology he is in something of a corner.

Right! I think that Musk - world famous and very rich - should be man enough to apologise publicly and unreservedly and admit that he was completely out of order to say what he said.

There the matter should rest - in my view.

• Like 2

It really makes no difference if Mr. Musk apologizes or not. The topic title is that the Brit diver is considering legal action and he could do so whether Musk apologizes or not.

I think going on CNN and telling people he thinks that Mr. Musk is a fraud and where he can shove his submarine puts the Brit in a precarious legal position regardless of what Mr. Musk says or further does.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Shroud said:

Musk could easily win this case since Vern started the rant. Everyone tried to offer help in this severe situation so to blame Elon for his mini-sub and call it a PR-stunt isn't something that has valid points. In the beginning, it was the thai authorities that pleaded for international help and they got it, including Vern Unsworth. 

I'm not siding with Elon, but Vern went too far with his remarks on CNN.

It is something which has valid points, it couldn't make the turns. Musk can't win the case as he defamed Vern, there is proof, so he can only buy his way out through some compensation to Vern.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Eligius said:

Right! I think that Musk - world famous and very rich - should be man enough to apologise publicly and unreservedly and admit that he was completely out of order to say what he said.

With no settlement? That wouldn't be a happy ending.?

Here you have a bunch of wide collection of heroes engaged in a worldwide effort to save the kids. Everybody wanted in, for various reasons. The fact that Musk showed up or had an offering on the factory line only added to the publicity and focused the effort on ensuring it was a success.

There were many people with ideas, one of which was Verns suggestion to make a call to the UK.

If someone in the Thai Authorities had turned around and told him to shove his suggestion where it hurts, they may not have been rescued.

It was an effort that required being open to ideas and working together.

All this sh1tslinging to get attention is irrelavant.

• Like 1

I realize 'fraud'; was not the exact word. But whether publicity stunt or not, reference to Mr. Musk's anal cavity on CNN would not be in The Brit's favor. And if he should actually start civil action against Musk, you could bet there would be investigators to turn the Brit's private life inside out.

So maybe the Brit should first offer an apology to Mr. Musk for his rant on CNN which precipitated this whole unfortunate occurrence.

Edited by JLCrab
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

I just can't believe the number of posters actually siding with Musk on this and related threads...

Perhaps we need a TVF poll... It would certainly be more relevant (and probably be better supported ) than the recent "Did Trump offend HM."

Edited by steve73
  • Like 2

37 minutes ago, Eligius said:

With no settlement? That wouldn't be a happy ending.?

Here you have a wide collection of heroes engaged in a worldwide effort to save the kids. Everybody wanted in, for various reasons. The fact that Musk showed up or had an offering on the factory line only added to the publicity and focused the effort on ensuring it was a success.

There were many people with ideas, one of which was Verns suggestion to make a call to the UK.

If someone in the Thai Authorities had turned around and told him to shove his suggestion where it hurts, they may not have been rescued.

It was an effort that required being open to ideas and working together.

All this sh1tslinging to get attention is irrelavant.

Edited by coulson
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, JLCrab said:

I realize 'fraud'; was not the exact word. But whether publicity stunt or not, reference to Mr. Musk's anal cavity on CNN would not be in The Brit's favor. And if he should actually start civil action against Musk, you could bet there would be investigators to turn the Brit's private life inside out.

So maybe the Brit should first offer an apology to Mr. Musk for his rant on CNN which precipitated this whole unfortunate occurrence.

If I were Mr Unsworth I would take into consideration what you have said and contact a brief for a learned opinion, but I still reckon that calling a man a pedo is worse than suggesting that Mr Musk might like to consider sticking his submarine.where it hurts.

Is it only me or would anyone else agree that a breatholiser app for Twitter would be a good idea ?

Blow in to the tube,If your alcohol level is over a certain limit........ 

Come to think of it ,It would not be a bad idea for TVF too.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, sirineou said:

Is it only me or would anyone else agree that a breatholiser app for Twitter would be a good idea ?

Blow in to the tube,If your alcohol level is over a certain limit........ 

Come to think of it ,It would not be a bad idea for TVF too.

Maybe

1 minute ago, Sheryl said:

Stick it where it hurts is an insulting remark but nothing libelous in it.

Stating categorically that someone is a pedophile on the other hand is definitely libelous under US law unless it can be proven to be true, which I very much doubt it can.

Sent from my SM-J701F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Exactly

10 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Stick it where it hurts is an insulting remark but nothing libelous in it.

Stating categorically that someone is a pedophile on the other hand is definitely libelous under US law unless it can be proven to be true, which I very much doubt it can.

Sent from my SM-J701F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

That's your opinion. Why did Mr. Unsworth feel the need to go on CNN and make any derogatory comments about Mr. Musk. I think Mr. Musk';s lawyers would have a field-day if Mr. Unsworth ever brought civil charges.

2 minutes ago, lincolnshire poacher said:

Mr Unsworth probably had a hard days night and had been working like a dog, whereas Mr Musk  had flown over from the USA and had probably been sleeping like a log.

His night wasn't so hard that he wasn't able to give an interview on CNN.