My Dogs Ate My Thai Neighbors' Rabbits And Chickens

girlx

the title says it all... they are street dogs that i was taking care of while sick. but i suppose that makes me responsible for them. what is the diplomatic protocol in thailand?

:o:D:D if you see them as your dogs ,i.e.your responsibility ,i suppose you better get your cash out!

Get your puyai baan involved and have him go with ou to sort it out. Remuneration and apology ought to do it. If he trys to rob you offer replacement instead. Don't let it escalate in any way (See Danish story posted here last year).

Edited by lannarebirth

well i have no proof this actually happened, but i plan to take responsibility and pay for it. the problem is, these dogs won't go away... how can i get them to stay away from the animals? my neighbors will just poison them. i have to put two of them to sleep tomorrow anyway because they are so sick, but out of the three remaining one of them is my real dog whom i would not want to lose- i don't want to make problems where i live either. :o

edit: wow that article about the danish guy scares the crap out of me- there is a cock fighting farm right behind me. should i just drop all the dogs except mine at a temple somewhere? wouldn't they just find their way back?

Edited by girlx

I've heard of this situation occuring between Thais; the usual answer was to pay for the livestock that were killed; you just have to negotiate a fair price.

The real mystery to me is how (in the villages, where all the fowl are free-range) they know whose chickens are whose...

"Steven"

Big A's supermarket sells muzzles, I suggest muzzling your favorite dog until you can train it to not kill chickens. It is doable, suggest you post in the dog training thread to find out how. Plus the muzzle will show your good faith in dealing with the problem.

I don't know who your puyaiban is, but if he doesn't speak English it would help to get a local man or woman that you are friendly with to help you negotiate.

As for dumping the rest at a nearby wat, probably not a good idea as they will find their way back. Take them further afield than TNP.

well i have no proof this actually happened, but i plan to take responsibility and pay for it. the problem is, these dogs won't go away... how can i get them to stay away from the animals? my neighbors will just poison them. i have to put two of them to sleep tomorrow anyway because they are so sick, but out of the three remaining one of them is my real dog whom i would not want to lose- i don't want to make problems where i live either. :o

edit: wow that article about the danish guy scares the crap out of me- there is a cock fighting farm right behind me. should i just drop all the dogs except mine at a temple somewhere? wouldn't they just find their way back?

Since they are all street dogs then unless you gave them a key you could just lock them out.

Chownah

Hi, Girlx.

I had the same problem. My dog killed a fighting chicken and my landlord demanded 10,000. I told her my dog was worth 20,000, so if she gave me 10,000 I'd give her my dog. I moved soon after.

Definitely try to train your dog(s). (I asked macb about this already in his pet training post).

One problem is that your dog(s) will likely be accused of any future chicken deaths because of their history.

Wish you well!

what is a reasonable amount to pay for a few dead baby rabbits and two chickens? (not fighting chickens). my neighbors have never once been greedy- they own the house i am living in and it is a great deal in comparison to other places for rent here. i think they will be rational about this, just don't know what to offer them.

what is a reasonable amount to pay for a few dead baby rabbits and two chickens? (not fighting chickens). my neighbors have never once been greedy- they own the house i am living in and it is a great deal in comparison to other places for rent here. i think they will be rational about this, just don't know what to offer them.

:o No idea. Maybe check with the folks in the farming forum.

I guess also depends on if the chickens were meant for selling in the market? or were they keeping chickens for the eggs....

if for meat market then easy way for you to check is roughly the rate of buying a whole chicken in the market I suppose?

no idea about the rabbit....maybe offer to buy them the rabbits to replace?

buy them replacements plus (the amount dead plus a few more of each , or choice specimens of each -- a good laying hen, or large cock) ... dont ask, just go and say... bla bla bla.... u could also take your dog and 'punish' him in front of the neighbors (wont do any good but neighbor doesnt really know that and gives the neighbhor some 'face')...

keep your dog leashed, fenced, boxed or tied up so never seen in vicinity. dispense asap w/all others that u cant control.

muzzle your dog (alhtough she/he cant defend agianst others if running loose w/muzzle).

good luck

There are plenty of helpful & practical replies already, so will just add my best wishes for a happy ending. Girlx, it sounds as if your neighbours are reasonable, and you are obviously fair and keen to take responsibility: these are grounds to be optimistic. Best of luck & diplomacy to you!

Edited by fruittbatt

I've heard of this situation occuring between Thais; the usual answer was to pay for the livestock that were killed; you just have to negotiate a fair price.

The real mystery to me is how (in the villages, where all the fowl are free-range) they know whose chickens are whose...

"Steven"

Steven, haven't you heard the old saying "....when the chickens come home to roost." That's how you know whose are whose!

what i would do... go over to the neighbours, give them 2000 baht and a little present like a flower or something, apologize dearly, chit chat with them and see how they feel and react. if the rabbits were pets try to find replacements as a gift. there's nothing worse than a bad relationship with neighbours.

before i moved in a house with walled garden with my dogs i had to move 2 times. first my dogs killed chicken from a police station nearby and were shot at, then in the next place the landlady attacked my peaceful dogs with a shovel, after that they tried to attack her. when i locked them in the house while i was away for some hours the landlady was shocked and did not want to accept that.

if you want to keep dogs you need to keep them safe, also here in thailand, build a wall, fence, chain them, cage them or keep them in your house. you can only rescue as many dogs as you can take care of properly because after they recovered you also have to take care of them as it is very hard to find other people willing to take in dogs. it is hard but if you see a dog in distress you have to look away or try to find owners for it if you cannot take care of it.

keeping dogs loose is only a source of trouble, suffering and can end in a very expensive disaster, for the dogs, other animals, other people and yourself.

Then there is the other way. You can accuse the chickens of being invested with bird flu and threathen to sue for attempted murder of your very rare bred pets. :o As a matter of fact chickens are now required to be in an enclosures and dogs are not. So unless there is proof the dogs entered the chicken's pen you are clear! :D Sorry could not resist. Happened to me also.... pay 250baht per chicken and about 500 for each bunny. Good luck and keep us informed!