3BB VDSL question

Cloggie

For the last few years I have 3BB VDSL and I am very happy with it, always working fine although I live in the boonies....

Every month I pay THB 900 or THB 963 with VAT, according to the website I should have a 150/50 Mbps connection.

When I look in my modem I see the following numbers:

As my Max Rate is 25.464Kbps, if I change my package from 150/50 => 100/30  will the numbers stay the same yes / no?

I mean now I pay for 150 and only get 25 so if I pay for 100 will I then still get 25 yes or no?

I have the feeling that I just pay to much and 3BB is not able to give me the full speed....

Screen Shot 07-17-18 at 01.10 PM.JPG

What speed of service did you sign up for, ie. what is wrote in your contract?

Trying to correlate what speed you think you should expect based on what their latest advertised service costs is irrelevant. Over the years, 3bb have phased out a lot of their VDSL options in favor of fiber. On their website at the moment, they are only promoting 30/10 VDSL.

Run a regular speed test rather than quoting what the router's internal snooping is telling you. 3bb hosts an ookla speed test here.

Call their 1530 service number. Their English-speaking staff are quite good and they can run a check from their side and advise if something needs attention. I did this about 2 months ago when my 750 baht/m 50/30 VDSL was getting slow. They sent a tech who recommended I upgrade to fiber. Popped down to the 3bb shop, ordered the upgrade and it was done the next day. Same price for faster 100/30 fiber service plus the new modem has 5Gb Wi-Fi so much better/faster hardware too.

The contract says 9.126/1.024 kbps but that is from 2012 and in the meantime the download speed has increased but my internet bill has not changed, always THB 963

Test results:

Download Speed: 15257kbps 
Upload Speed: 838kbps 
Latency: 32ms

Just received an advertising leaflet, if I would buy ADSL from 3BB today it will only cast me THB 590 and I pay THB 963, time to call 3BB!

S_8266803744398.jpg

7 minutes ago, Cloggie said:

Just received an advertising leaflet, if I would buy ADSL from 3BB today it will only cast me THB 590 and I pay THB 963, time to call 3BB!

Do you currently have VDSL or Fibre?

The advertised rates are fibre not VDSL and if you are well in the boonies then it is doubtful that fibre is an option.

• Like 1

On 7/17/2018 at 1:17 PM, Cloggie said:

For the last few years I have 3BB VDSL and I am very happy with it

The screen grab you posted says that your modem is using ADSL2+ modulation, not VDSL. The up/down figures you quote are normal for ADSL2+.

The price you are paying is in fact the standard price for old ADSL connections, which are no longer promoted by 3BB. So maybe you are not on VDSL at all. When I switched to 50/20 VDSL (the best available where I am) I was offered a lower price than the ADSL price I was previously paying, though with an option of their "@inter" package which offers higher speeds to international destinations. I took that extra package (no longer available to new subscribers) that put the VDSL cost back up to what I was previously paying for ADSL.

To get higher figures you would need to use a VDSL modem and also to be certain that 3BB have indeed altered your account to VDSL. Also it would depend on the distance from your house to whatever node you are connected to, and the quality of the line between the two. The figures in the screen grab indicate that the line is probably suitable.

Depending on which modem you are using it may just be a question of reconfiguring the connection to use VDSL: some can handle both types of modulation.

When I switched from ADSL to VDSL they gave me a new modem/router, which I use in bridge mode with my own proper router, as my previous modem was ADSL2+ but not VDSL. I used that old one in bridge mode also, so the change of modem was largely transparent to me.

• Like 1

Mattd: now I have ADSL as you can see in my print screen of my ADSL modem.

KIttenKong: 3BB told me exactly the same today, I need to buy a new modem for THB 800 and then I will have VDSL at home.

At the moment I have a TP-Link, N600 Wireless Dual Band Gigabit ADSL2+ Modem Router - Model No. TD-W8980

In the manual it says: 

LAN4/WAN, LAN3, LAN2, LAN1: Through these ports, you can connect the modem router to your PC or the other Ethernet network devices. Enable EWAN function and you will be able to
connect to Cable/FTTH/VDSL/ADSL device.

Based on this I would say I do not need a new modem / router and can use my old TP-Link modem as well for VDSL.

Will check with 3BB tomorrow and let you know.

You are just on an old ADSL plan...and a very pricey ADSL plan...guess 3BB never changed the pricing for you.  Even if you were able to switch over to a VDSL plan the only VDSL plan listed on the 3BB website is their 30/10 VDSL plan for Bt590/month.    VDSL top end speed is around 75Mb but many ISPs only offer up to around 50Mb speed assuming your residence is not located too far from the DSLAM like living in a highrise condo.

If you want to get speed faster than around 50Mb you will need to switch to a fiber optics plan which means using a fiber optics GPON/router which the ISP will provide.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Cloggie said:

KIttenKong: 3BB told me exactly the same today, I need to buy a new modem for THB 800 and then I will have VDSL at home.

At the moment I have a TP-Link, N600 Wireless Dual Band Gigabit ADSL2+ Modem Router - Model No. TD-W8980

In the manual it says: 

LAN4/WAN, LAN3, LAN2, LAN1: Through these ports, you can connect the modem router to your PC or the other Ethernet network devices. Enable EWAN function and you will be able to
connect to Cable/FTTH/VDSL/ADSL device.

Based on this I would say I do not need a new modem / router and can use my old TP-Link modem as well for VDSL.

3BB are correct. You need a new modem that supports VDSL as I mentioned. Your TPLink does not support it: it is ADSL2+ only, not VDSL. I know because I used to have one too and when I switched to VDSL I had to change it.

If you get a VDSL modem you may find that it uses VDSL modulation automatically without 3BB having to alter anything as a VDSL line will fall back to ADSL2+ (or just ADSL) if the user's modem cant handle the newer modulation. This is why your modem is showing ADSL2+ modulation in the screen grab. If it doesnt switch to VDSL automatically then you would need to contact 3BB.

You can get a VDSL modem (or modem/router) and connect it to your TPLink router using the EWAN procedure you mention. Apart from the lack of VDSL support, your router is better than the 800B one that 3BB provide, not least because it is gigabit which is nice if you have a domestic network with shared video files, for example. Most domestic users would not notice the difference though.

Edited by KittenKong
  • Like 2

On 7/19/2018 at 7:53 PM, Cloggie said:

3BB told me exactly the same today, I need to buy a new modem for THB 800 and then I will have VDSL at home.

This is what the 3bb tech said was all I would need to pay if I upgraded from VDSL to fiber. However, when I went to the 3bb shop, I brought the old Huawei 3bb VDSL modem/router that I had temporarily replaced with my own TP-Link hardware with me and the guy waived the 800 baht fee for the new fiber modem/router.

Edited by NanLaew
  • Like 1