Expats who want to leave, if they could

Pilotman

On 7/18/2018 at 5:33 AM, possum1931 said:

Maybe for some people, but for others whose family have no room to take them in, how easy is it to get a small flat or bedsit to rent if you want to go back to the UK? I remember ie, years ago there were bedsits to rent advertised in most newsagents windows, but not any more.

All online now https://www.spareroom.co.uk/

17 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

I think one of the tricks to being happy here is living in either a rural area, or a smaller town. Life in Bangkok, Pattaya, and Phuket or Samui is a lower quality life than elsewhere, in my opinion. Of the four, I would choose Bangkok, which is a great city. But crowded, expensive, and alot of traffic, etc.

Kind of off-topic, but I'm curious about recommended rural areas and small towns in LOS. I've spent a few months in Chiang Mai, which I like a lot (especially a bit north of the Old City, away from most of the tourists), but don't know about other areas (other than BKK, which I'm not crazy about). 

5 hours ago, TRichards said:

I've never understood attitudes like this. You aren't comparing the countries, you're comparing the success you had at finding happiness in each. 

So are you saying I should return to UK,after 30 years living here,

and be miserable in the UK,don't understand why you think i would.

regards worgeordie

• Like 1

7 hours ago, TRichards said:

I've never understood attitudes like this. You aren't comparing the countries, you're comparing the success you had at finding happiness in each. 

Betting it's one & the same....

I know where I would be happier ,and it ain't here. Yes have companion here,but its accommodation in UK that is the problem,dingy bedsit costing a fortune.Thought about Spain,cheap there too,may eventually give that a shot

Edited by altcarrbob
dup
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, fellig said:

Kind of off-topic, but I'm curious about recommended rural areas and small towns in LOS. I've spent a few months in Chiang Mai, which I like a lot (especially a bit north of the Old City, away from most of the tourists), but don't know about other areas (other than BKK, which I'm not crazy about). 

Try Udon,  near the second biggest city, climate good, having a WINTER,  rail, bus, and a big airport. Lowest cost of living areas,  super 3 bed air con, garden, near city,   7,000 baht monthly.    Immigration good,  has mega shopping mall.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, pgrahmm said:

Have to honestly say I'm glad not to have your experiences or your overall outlook......If I did I'd constantly be swiveling my head waiting for the next anxiety attack....Not a good way to live.....

You're right. It's not a good way to live but it is a fact and a result of my psyche and what I perceive here in Thailand

12 minutes ago, Weasel100 said:

You're right. It's not a good way to live but it is a fact and a result of my psyche and what I perceive here in Thailand

Attachment to outcome is a good character trait to shed while living in Thailand. It makes for a much happier life.

1 hour ago, ginjag said:

Try Udon,  near the second biggest city, climate good, having a WINTER,  rail, bus, and a big airport. Lowest cost of living areas,  super 3 bed air con, garden, near city,   7,000 baht monthly.    Immigration good,  has mega shopping mall.

Sounds good, thanks. Is it relatively easy to cross the Laos border?

1 hour ago, Weasel100 said:

This lying, deception and misleading is always related to money and it is therefore my conclusion that the very, very great majority of Thais are interested in only three things in life - money, money and money

I disagree with your conclusion.

They are happy to lie about anything, it appears to me to be the national sport. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

@Weasel100

I have experienced almost all of the sentiments you expressed in your excellent post. I would offer the following feedback.

Regarding your sense of never being able to let down your guard because someone is constantly trying to rip you off, the way I manage this problem is to verify prices beforehand, comparison shop, put stuff in writing, review specifications carefully, and get recommendations from Thai neighbors and friends about vendors and service providers. Slowly over time I think I have established a reputation locally as someone who can not be easily taken advantage of, but that's certainly not to suggest that I haven't been taken advantage of plenty of times along the way.

You mentioned the lack of English proficiency in Thailand, which begs the question about your proficiency in Thai. Please note that most of the above advice about how to avoid getting ripped off requires at least a basic proficiency in Thai in order to communicate what you need and what your expectations are. I also wanted to share with you that I have often been really surprised when complaining to Thai neighbors and friends about being ripped off or overcharged by how often I am told by them that the vendor has a similar reputation among Thai people for overcharging Thai people. 'Kaw khit paang' (He charges a lot) they always say, so it's not always because you're a foreigner that you're being overcharged. Not saying foreigners aren't sometimes overcharged here because they definitely are, but it's important not to go overboard in the paranoia department.

Regarding consumer protections, I make most of my major purchases through major retailers which have more consumer friendly return policies, and try to do research beforehand on the product I am in the market for so as not be overly reliant on the advice of the sales clerk who may have a different agenda other than helping me select the best appliance for my needs. Regarding traffic safety, agree 100% that this is a huge problem. You have to compensate for this by slowing down and driving more defensively than you otherwise would.

In summary, I'd say the feeling that you don't know who you can trust over here is a fairly common reaction most people have at one time or another experienced here. I guess I'm trying to encourage you by reporting that it is possible to work through that distrust and get to a place where transactions involving money are less stressful and less likely to result in feelings you've been ripped off.  My sense is that this is possible for you. The direction I would point you in is better preparation before transactions and improving your language skills so as to be better able to communicate your needs and expectations. Good luck.

Edited by Gecko123
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Gecko123 said:

Please note that most of the above advice about how to avoid getting ripped off requires at least a basic proficiency in Thai in order to communicate what you need and what your expectations are.

Or you could forget about the Thai language and just buy items that are clearly priced.

I find it easier to do all my non-food shopping at Lazada.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

On 7/19/2018 at 11:25 AM, spidermike007 said:

It is hard for alot of families to get by, much less live well there. There is no competition for me. I think one of the tricks to being happy here is living in either a rural area, or a smaller town. Life in Bangkok, Pattaya, and Phuket or Samui is a lower quality life than elsewhere, in my opinion. Of the four, I would choose Bangkok, which is a great city. But crowded, expensive, and alot of traffic, etc.

senseless drivel,

i agree living in the sticks gives you nothing to spend money on,

but you only ever have to end up on the wrong side of sukumvit to experience a piss poor life with all that entail of dead boring life,

all the while saving a tremendous amount of money.

but, without gogo theres no party, and without party

theres no reason to live

17 minutes ago, Gecko123 said:

@Weasel100

I have experienced almost all of the sentiments you expressed in your excellent post. I would offer the following feedback.

Regarding your sense of never being able to let down your guard because someone is constantly trying to rip you off, the way I manage this problem is to verify prices beforehand, comparison shop, put stuff in writing, review specifications carefully, and get recommendations from Thai neighbors and friends about vendors and service providers. Slowly over time I think I have established a reputation locally as someone who can not be easily taken advantage of, but that's certainly not to suggest that I haven't been taken advantage of plenty of times along the way.

You mentioned the lack of English proficiency in Thailand, which begs the question about your proficiency in Thai. Please note that most of the above advice about how to avoid getting ripped off requires at least a basic proficiency in Thai in order to communicate what you need and what your expectations are. I also wanted to share with you that I have often been really surprised when complaining to Thai neighbors and friends about being ripped off or overcharged by how often I am told by them that the vendor has a similar reputation among Thai people for overcharging Thai people. 'Kaw khit paang' (He charges a lot) they always say, so it's not always because you're a foreigner that you're being overcharged. Not saying foreigners aren't sometimes overcharged here because they definitely are, but it's important not to go overboard in the paranoia department.

Regarding consumer protections, I make most of my major purchases through major retailers which have more consumer friendly return policies, and try to do research beforehand on the product I am in the market for so as not be overly reliant on the advice of the sales clerk helping me who may have a different agenda other than helping me select the best appliance for my needs. Regarding traffic safety, agree 100% that this is a huge problem. You have to compensate for this by slowing down and driving more defensively than you otherwise would.

In summary, I'd say the feeling that you don't know who you can trust over here is a fairly common reaction most people have at one time or another experienced here. I guess I'm trying to encourage you by reporting that it is possible to work through that distrust and get to a place where transactions involving money are less stressful and less likely to result in feelings you've been ripped off.  My sense is that this is possible for you. The direction I would point you in is better preparation before transactions and improving your language skills so as to be better able to communicate your needs and expectations. Good luck.

Thanks Gecko
I agree with what you say and I admit that Thai language is not a strong point for me. But please understand that it is precisely because I have had so many terrible experiences in dealing with Thais that leaves me without any real desire to improve my Thai language skills. Lazy? Certainly. Understandable? I hope so.
And I also have to say that it a huge advantage for me to have my Thai wife who is obviously fluent in her own language.
It's interesting that when we met my little wife had a very different attitude to business dealings with Thais. Now, after some six years together, she gets increasingly exasperated and borders on angry with the Thais that she deals with on our behalf and who try to rip me off via her. And trust me, this happens almost all the time.
I am not a stupid person and I do my research and try to get things nailed down before I enter into business transactions with Thais. But, even when I have believed that my wife and I have a proper understanding with a Thai who is to do work for us, lies and deceptions almost always follow and it's always me who ends up being ripped off, despite my efforts to avoid that happening. 
Thanks again for your comments and your element of support for what I was trying to say in my original post.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, poanoi said:

senseless drivel,

i agree living in the sticks gives you nothing to spend money on,

but you only ever have to end up on the wrong side of sukumvit to experience a piss poor life with all that entail of dead boring life,

all the while saving a tremendous amount of money.

but, without gogo theres no party, and without party

theres no reason to live

the "partying" (read anesthetizing) is the only thing that makes city life bearable. sad that some people must use intoxicants to get thru life.

Sad isn't it that, for many of us, life here is only made tolerable by, variously it appears, alcohol or something stronger or masturbation.
Look, I'm not truly unhappy here or I WOULD pack up and go home. It's just that there is so much about Thai society and Thai people and the Thais' couldn't give a shit attitude that just drives me crazy. This could be a much better country if the majority of Thai people were honest in their business dealings, stopped lying all the time (and let's not have any of that crap about lying being acceptable in this culture as a face saving device - lying is lying is lying), if Government actually gave a shit about road safety, if the Police were not corrupt to the core and if Thailand had a forward looking attitude to the world and its place in it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I certainly enjoy the multi-cultural elements of Aussie society  and spend my days talking to a rather wonderful ethnic mix...and I don't speak Mandarin or Arabic

You obviously didn’t visit Hurstville in Sydney’s south or Chatswood in Sydney’s north. Back in the day both of these areas were English only speaking suburbs. Both are now “ Chinatowns” where English is no longer the majority language.

http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/hurstville-sydneys-real-chinatown-20150218-13ia0l.html

Then of course there’s Lakemba, which is not far from Hurstville. Good luck living in Lakemba in you don’t speak Arabic.

https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/real-life/news-life/ugly-reality-of-vibrant-neighbourhood-inside-australias-most-muslim-suburb/news-story/bf4af2adb1d11cf929fe15620cf63025

1 minute ago, Gregster said:

You obviously didn’t visit Hurstville in Sydney’s south or Chatswood in Sydney’s north. Back in the day both of these areas were English only speaking suburbs. Both are now “ Chinatowns” where English is no longer the majority language.

http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/hurstville-sydneys-real-chinatown-20150218-13ia0l.html

Then of course there’s Lakemba, which is not far from Hurstville. Good luck living in Lakemba in you don’t speak Arabic.

https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/real-life/news-life/ugly-reality-of-vibrant-neighbourhood-inside-australias-most-muslim-suburb/news-story/bf4af2adb1d11cf929fe15620cf63025

Sorry..I actually worked in that area as a health care professional.

We had about 30 languages on the list at that time..

Splendid eating out on the evening shifts..my favourite was  a small Vietnamese restaurant in Riverwood..or was that a Thai restaurant in Sans Souci..goodness only knows...

I have no interest in Australian bogans.

• Thanks 1

Some people like a nest some like to fly from tree to tree. I personally hate a nest so having the options to go when I want is key to me being happy in Thailand or anywhere. I have adult kids in USA and one grand child that I miss but they are busy with work and life. When I go see them I realize they are not young kids anymore and we raised them to be under stressful jobs and independent. Stressful jobs don’t leave a lot of time for other things like parents. I love my grandchild but don’t want to be a full time babysitter either. 

Thailand allows a lot of things. Cheaper furnished housing, better night life, better female companions, ease of travel from Swampy, bus service or cheap planes or cheap car travel through Thailand, better cheaper medical care for me, food and movies cheap, tv and internet cheap, mass transportation, ability to live pretty free unless you are thai. 

What I have trouble with are language, some expats here stuck broke and that is hard to see, Thais are generally polite and nice except for the ones that expats have changed by showing off to them the expats money availability so they look at us like atms, Thais living in the moment to the point that no savings for another day, class system stratus, Isaan parents dependent on their kids for cash, and the politics and police  I just try to ignore.  

Read a sign in Bangkok 

yesterday is history 

tomorrow is a mystery 

today is a gift. 

Pretty much says it all. 

• Like 1

..my favourite was  a small Vietnamese restaurant in Riverwood..or was that a Thai restaurant in Sans Souci.

Riverwood (English spoken majority) and Sans Souci (English majority) are obviously fine if you speak English.

It’s noted that you didn’t visit Hurstville (majority China) and Lakemba (majority Arabic) - which were the areas referred to.