The wind of change blows straight
Into the face of time
Like a storm wind that will ring
The freedom bell for peace of mind
Let your balalaika sing
What my guitar wants to say

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

You might find it hard to believe, but there are those of us out there who had it all, all meaning what, possessions, but no quality of life, and one day we woke up and sold it all for a better quality of life here in Thailand Vs working 5/7th of your life for that a big salary of $170k plus a year, for no quality of life, paying high taxes to support others, Medicare levies and the cost of living to just reducing that figure even more, and if you had a mortgage, you were left with even less.

Early retirement by 10 years has allowed me to enjoy taking in the fresh country air, has eliminated stresses that I used to have in my life, (non existent) since I moved here, paying no taxes on investments to support others which literally gives me what I was on after taxes, Medicare levies, etc etc.

I do how I want, when I want, and to know that I have enough money on a comfortable monthly budget that will last me till I am 101 adds to my quality of life here.

I return every 18 months where I was born in Sydney for a week, that is enough, I visit mum, my adult daughter and some close friends, none of them are happy, mum who is 83 is constantly complaining that she cannot survive on the pension, my daughter is stressed out seeing what is coming for her future, my friends complain of the cost of living and taxes they pay.

Here I sit in the morning drinking my coffee with Mrs happy of 11 years, smelling the fresh air, listening to no cars or bikes going by, just watching the beautiful butterflies as they make their way past us.

I am in no rush to go anywhere, why would I ?

The problem with most Xpats, and excuse the truth because it hurts, is the majority of xpats didn't plan for their retirement, they drank their wages, now drinking the pension and have nothing to fall back on, personally if I had to depend on the pension to survive, I too would be depressed too, so saying "who are we trying to kid fella", is disingenuine, we are content, and will remain here as long as we are allowed to remain, that said, we can also up and leave at anytime to a new destination, why, because we have the funds to do it, "it does actually makes sense", if you can see past your disbelief and jealousy. 

For those thinking going back is going to make them happy, well happiness is within, and with full pockets 555

Well I liked your post until you contradicted yourself at the end.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, GinBoy2 said:

Oh I hear you on the pets thing. 

We agonized before we moved home about the cat ‘issue’.

It was almost the breaking point of repatriation, but ultimately we bit the bullet and paid the extortionate fees, time and trouble to get her air freighted home.

Now the difference between Thailand & USA when it comes to pets, when we go back to visit Thailand for 12 weeks I can trust people to look after her, feed her, play with her, in general make her life happy. If we’d left her in Thailand, maybe and it’s only a maybe could I have found someone to feed her, let alone anything else.

So, I’m fully aligned with the issue of not wanting to leave pets behind. 

3 house cats,  16---9  and 2  years,  NEVER GO OUT.  2 dogs 10 and 6 years, could not put them through the turmoil of airlifting them back to the UK,    I inherited them BUT will have to stay and hopefully outlive them..............It is called LOVE

Edited by ginjag
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, ginjag said:

3 house cats,  16---9  and 2  years,  NEVER GO OUT.  2 dogs 10 and 6 years, could not put them through the turmoil of airlifting them back to the UK,    I inherited them BUT will have to stay and hopefully outlive them..............It is called LOVE

I’m totally with you bro.

Now I know we may both be setting ourselves up for ridicule but some of our more hard nosed TVF brethren, but for many of us pets are family, sometimes closer, and a lot less judgmental!

Yeah you got a tough one with so many, that gets pricey. To put it in context for one teeny tiny cat, between all the vaccinations, microchipping, Thai export paperwork, medical checks in BKK, without even starting on the airfare it all cost around ฿45000, so roughly $1400. Multiply that by your menagerie and it’s getting up there!

As for traumatized. Well she wasn’t a happy cat when I finally got her out of customs in Denver, but she survived, and after a week or two was back to normal. Made sure we had packed all her blankets, toys etc in out luggage so when she got home there was her stuff, her smells to help the acclimatization. 

• Like 2

lived the rock star life before moving here 10 years ago, thank god i came to LOS, i would have been dead by now.  Thailand save my life and moved her at the suggestion of my shrink in Beverly Hills who previously had traveled the world before going back to med school. i was suffering from panic attacks and L.A. was not the place to be.  sure i miss the clubs and the Mexican food, ski trips and a few friends, but when i go back they are pretty miserable.  very happy living a simple life, low maintenance.  also many places nearby to visit like Bali, KL, Vietnam, Japan which are more interesting than the States imho.  do not need a car here, no diner reservations, no dry cleaning to deal with and no F&^%^&** parking meters.  so much street life here, vibrant..  the States seem lifeless to me.  walking dead.

Edited by malibukid
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, kurtmartens said:

For me, this will be the first time back in the US in 12 years .... hopefully will be able to adjust.

first time back in 10 last month good luck.  not the same country any longer.  just more traffic, restaurant prices have tripled. $11 for a smoothie? $12 pad thai? what a joke

• Like 1

20 hours ago, ChiangMaiLightning2143 said:

Sounds like you are looking for an excuse.
I don’t need to troll your own posts.
Recently though I think you said “if you had not made a promise to a woman” you would never consider Thailand anymore.
Stuff it.
Get on with your life.
Go back to your country.
You probably won’t be missed and you don’t owe anything here to anyone.

What a bitter post, you clearly have issues you need to address.    

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Maradona 10 said:

''Never going back to USA.  And I had everything you could ask for there. Sold it all.''

Yea, course you did. If you had everything in the US, was happy and successful, loving family and friends, there's not a chance in hell you would have decided to emigrate to Thailand. Makes ZERO sense. Not sure who you're trying to kid fella.

i had everything in the States, it's just that.  all the materialistic BS, and the mind set of the people that come with that in the States. sooner or later you grow beyond it unless your a half wit president.  the happiness that can be bought is so ephemeral. quantitative thinking does not make for a qualitative life.  but go back jack and do it again, the wheel keeps turning round and round.

31 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

It says in my passport 'non-immigrant', I'm just visiting.

Wannabe Immigrant? I'm visiting the country now for more than 16 years and have only left twice.  ?

Edited by jenny2017
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, jenny2017 said:

Wannabe Immigrant? I'm visiting the country now for more than 16 years and have only left twice.  ?

Well, I was in the Uk for about two years, been back in Thailand 2-3 months.

I can't remember why I went back, and can't remember why I stayed for two years, time just drifts past these days.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1

I like Thailand.. weather is good, live in the countryside NE. Some issues but they can be found anywhere. All in all good... one

exception is HD aside too dang expensive and I enjoy riding. 

No phones No emails....... perfect 

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Maradona 10 said:

The problem with most Xpats, and excuse the truth because it hurts, is the majority of xpats didn't plan for their retirement, they drank their wages, now drinking the pension and have nothing to fall back on, personally if I had to depend on the pension to survive, I too would be depressed too, so saying "who are we trying to kid fella", is disingenuine, we are content, and will remain here as long as we are allowed to remain, that said, we can also up and leave at anytime to a new destination, why, because we have the funds to do it, "it does actually makes sense", if you can see past your disbelief and jealousy.

Not necessarily true. My wife (farang) and I DID plan, and we could have lived a very wealthy and happy life anywhere in the world. BUT, the wanking bankers stole it all. We still survive on my state pension and some property rental, the UK government swindled her out of eight years of hers.

• Like 1

This my 13th year here.  I lived in the city of Pattaya for 10 years and enjoyed its fruits for a spell.  Made some farang & Thai friends.  Later tired of the beach with  vendors then farang friends moved or changed.  I did not want to have a liquid breakfast and accepted that I had been there done that.  Traveled to Cambodia and northern Viet Nam.  My roots are rural so met a nice Thai and moved to Isan and live in a small village building my own castle Thai style..  

I fly back to the states once a year for a couple of months and then ready to return.  Flying is not fun but go business class and that helps.  I make it an adventure and enjoy the folks along the way,  Have been told  aging is NOT for pussies and I learn about that every day.  Life is what we make of it and if we don't like it, change something.  Attitude?

201ce480-4d4f-47f0-818d-3c4c9e40df75.gif

• Like 2

On 7/17/2018 at 4:21 PM, impulse said:

That's an appealing thought, right up until there's something that can't be solved in Thailand with the funds available.  Sure, the base needs and impulses can be met quite handily with enough cash.  But not all needs, and cash doesn't always last as long as retirement.

What about missing family left behind, or the realization that it is tough to build a functional support network while surrounded mostly by fellow expats feeding their base desires for sex and booze, and locals whose economic reality has them looking at us like cash cows?

And there's no safety net for many guys who, through poor planning, bad luck, or scheming wives, lose their money.  At least back home, there's always a way to bring in a few bucks without having to keep your head down so you're not grassed up for WP violations, or for pursuing forbidden occupations.

I'm in the process of repatriating after working for around 7 years in Thailand.  I may be back.  But in the meantime, I'm going to see how it is back home, re-introduce myself to family I haven't seen in many years, work a few more years while I can, and then decide where to retire. 

I count my Thailand adventure as a positive in my life.  But I miss a lot of things back home that aren't available in Thailand at any price.  Maybe I won't like it back in Texas.  But I liked it there fine before I moved to Asia for the paycheck.

I spent most of my childhood growing up in Texas

Wichita Falls, San Antonio, Odessa .... Texas is a

great place to be from ..... as far from it as one can get

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, possum1931 said:

Not all westerners are like that, neither do all the ordinary Thai people think like that.

We are not all members of the barstool brigade.

neither are all the ones you generalize about in the UK

12 hours ago, AYJAYDEE said:

arent you an immigrant?

no, the difference is that an immigrant is a leach

that doesn't contribute a single baht and never will,

the immigrant gets paid by the host country

and that was the entire rationale for coming in the first instance.

this is in stark contrast to expats that always pay their way

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

9 minutes ago, poanoi said:

no, the difference is that an immigrant is a leach

that doesn't contribute a single baht and never will,

the immigrant gets paid by the host country

and that was the entire rationale for coming in the first instance.

this is in stark contrast to expats that always pay their way

????????

From Billy Wilder's Some Like it Hot (1958) Marilyn Monroe as 'Sugar'

Sugar: I don't want you to think that I'm a drinker. I can stop any time I want to -- only I don't want to.

I can leave Thailand any time I want to -- only I don't want to.

13 hours ago, malibukid said:

lived the rock star life before moving here 10 years ago, thank god i came to LOS, i would have been dead by now.  Thailand save my life and moved her at the suggestion of my shrink in Beverly Hills who previously had traveled the world before going back to med school. i was suffering from panic attacks and L.A. was not the place to be.  sure i miss the clubs and the Mexican food, ski trips and a few friends, but when i go back they are pretty miserable.  very happy living a simple life, low maintenance.  also many places nearby to visit like Bali, KL, Vietnam, Japan which are more interesting than the States imho.  do not need a car here, no diner reservations, no dry cleaning to deal with and no F&^%^&** parking meters.  so much street life here, vibrant..  the States seem lifeless to me.  walking dead.

You remind me of a friend of mine. 

He was an artist in Los Angeles in the 80’s, living the scene. Said to me, that when he got married he knew he had to get out, or it was a recipe for divorce, addiction, death, or all of the above.

He decided to move to Idaho instead, probably simpler than Thailand, but worked for him, He’s still married, and importantly not dead!