Highest ATM Withdrawal Limit and lowest fees for foreign ATM cards

1. Which bank's ATMs currently has the highest withdrawal limits?

2. Which bank's ATMs have the lowest fees for foreign ATM cards?

3. Is it possible to go to the bank's counter and withdraw more than the maximum ATM limit using your foreign ATM Visa Debit Card, eg. 50k or 100k or more and what fees are involved and can you ask them to give you Visa's exchange rate like when you select "Credit" using an ATM?

56 minutes ago, Pib said:

3.   Yes you can do a counter withdrawal at many branches with practically no limit.  The only limit is the limit set by your card-issuing bank.   Most banks will not charge a fee for a counter withdrawal, but Krungsri back around Oct 17 started charging a Bt200 fee for a counter withdrawal.  And I think SCB will only do a counter withdrawal if you accept a Dynamic Currency Conversion (DCC) transaction which means you do not get the full Visa/Mastercard rate but instead an approx 3% lower rate set by SCB for such transaction.  You'll just need to ask the branch about any fee before doing the transaction.

Keep in mind if your card-issuing bank applies a foreign transaction fee, like how many banks charge a 1 to 3% fee, that fee still applies for a counter or ATM withdrawal.

Thanks for that. When doing a counter withdrawal with a foreign Visa Debit card (eg. Kasikorn), do you need to tell them to do it as the Visa/Mastercard rate or they automatically do it at those rates?

4 hours ago, Pib said:

1.  TMB and Krungsri ATMs allow 30K...I think Citibank does also.  All other Thai bank ATMs offer a max of 25K or 20K...like Bangkok Bank ATMs are 25K.  Keep in mind the limit set by your card-issuing bank also comes in to play....say your card-issuing bank only allows a Bt20K equivalent in your home currency, if you try to ask for more the ATM will receive a disapproval from your card-issuing bank and the ATM transaction fails.

2.   I think they are all Bt220, expect AEON ATMs which is Bt150 but a max 20K withdrawal.

3.   Yes you can do a counter withdrawal at many branches with practically no limit.  The only limit is the limit set by your card-issuing bank.   Most banks will not charge a fee for a counter withdrawal, but Krungsri back around Oct 17 started charging a Bt200 fee for a counter withdrawal.  And I think SCB will only do a counter withdrawal if you accept a Dynamic Currency Conversion (DCC) transaction which means you do not get the full Visa/Mastercard rate but instead an approx 3% lower rate set by SCB for such transaction.  You'll just need to ask the branch about any fee before doing the transaction.

Keep in mind if your card-issuing bank applies a foreign transaction fee, like how many banks charge a 1 to 3% fee, that fee still applies for a counter or ATM withdrawal.

Summed up well. One thing you want to check if withdrawing from a credit card. My bank charges the interest higher for credit card withdrawals and no graceful period. Interest starts adding up immediately 

4 hours ago, bbi1 said:

Thanks for that. When doing a counter withdrawal with a foreign Visa Debit card (eg. Kasikorn), do you need to tell them to do it as the Visa/Mastercard rate or they automatically do it at those rates?

You shouldn't need to tell them....I never have when doing it at Bangkok Bank and Krungsri Bank.     But remember, I think SCB tries the DCC approach which you DO NOT want to do. 

You can always tell if a transaction is being processed as a DCC if you see "both" your home country currency and Thai baht on the receipt for signature.  Do not sign such a receipt...tell them to cancel that transaction and rerun in Thai baht.

7 hours ago, Pib said:

1.  TMB and Krungsri ATMs allow 30K...I think Citibank does also.  All other Thai bank ATMs offer a max of 25K or 20K...like Bangkok Bank ATMs are 25K.  Keep in mind the limit set by your card-issuing bank also comes in to play....say your card-issuing bank only allows a Bt20K equivalent in your home currency, if you try to ask for more the ATM will receive a disapproval from your card-issuing bank and the ATM transaction fails.

2.   I think they are all Bt220, expect AEON ATMs which is Bt150 but a max 20K withdrawal.

If you call to up your limit with the card-issuing bank; you can draw that amount, but you may have to go to several ATMs to do it.

When using the ATM machine!  Depending on the card if you use a ATM like Bangkok Bank after everything if the screen shows the exchange rate and break down whatever you do DON'T push the YES button,  push NO that will revert it back to the International rate which is much higher. Pushing Yes, is the rate the Bank wants to give you wish is much much lower plus they are already getting 220 for using the machine.

• Like 1

As far as I remember:
Krungsri, CIMB and TMB give 30k max.

(sure for Krungsri)

Yesterday I saw brandnew equipment at SCB in Central shopping center in Khon Kaen. Amongst them "VTM" (?) universal machines.

Maybe worth a try for 30k (or more)?

Just seen that this "VTM" is pointed to more general self service.

But the ATMs also new, not seen this type before.

Edited by KhunBENQ