Getting new passport won't work anymore!

It has been known for a considerable time that old and new passports are linked. It was slightly surprising that you were subjected to scrutiny when arriving from the UK with an actual visa. Usually, they are more suspicious of visa exempt entries and visas acquired in neighboring countries.

• Like 1

I don't think he was looking at your current and previous visas, but mainly the history of entries you've had. It created a pattern of you going in and out many times which ultimately made him raise eyebrows and ask questions. The old passport is obviously linked to your new, so nothing new here. I can guess that your previous passport was without doubt also filled with visa exempts plus extensions and single entries from neighbouring countries. The goal is to avoid as many entires possible. In and Outs are usually the caveat in those situations. I find it strange though that he brought it up when you flew from your homeland, did you perhaps apply for a visa right after a visit from Los?

I don't think he was looking at your current and previous visas, but mainly the history of entries you've had. It created a pattern of you going in and out many times which ultimately made him raise eyebrows and ask questions. The old passport is obviously linked to your new, so nothing new here. I can guess that your previous passport was without doubt also filled with visa exempts plus extensions and single entries from neighbouring countries. The goal is to avoid as many entires possible. In and Outs are usually the caveat in those situations. I find it strange though that he brought it up when you flew from your homeland, did you perhaps apply for a visa right after a visit from Los?
I'm not married, not that stupid, but have a gf for 10 years so am practically married! The last time I had a problem was about 4 years ago now and I did the same thing, called the gf and put her on the phone to convince them I don't work here. Not sure why that helps but it does.

I left Los to London 2 months ago and only applied the tourist visa last week in Kensington. The Thai guy at svb behind the screen asked me if I had my old passport, scared that I would be searched anyway I didn't want to lie, and no point to lie if all the history of the old passport was already on his screen! He asked why did I get a new passport I said there's only 7 pages left and I travel often but don't go back to uk often so used the opportunity to get a new one.

When I was sat down with the big boss to one side, she said I had too many visa exempts before and that I should get this tourist visa... So I said you mean like the one I have now?! So yeah.. I don't really understand why with a tourist visa they pulled me up. Maybe a power trip by the guy behind the screen or they have a new directive from above. Now that I'm in I will try to stay 7 months with 2 border crossings, hopefully. I guess next time I need to leave it 5 or 6 months before coming back.

Sent from my LG-H990 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, reenatinnakor said:

I'm not married, not that stupid, but have a gf for 10 years so am practically married! The last time I had a problem was about 4 years ago now and I did the same thing, called the gf and put her on the phone to convince them I don't work here. Not sure why that helps but it does.

I left Los to London 2 months ago and only applied the tourist visa last week in Kensington. The Thai guy at svb behind the screen asked me if I had my old passport, scared that I would be searched anyway I didn't want to lie, and no point to lie if all the history of the old passport was already on his screen! He asked why did I get a new passport I said there's only 7 pages left and I travel often but don't go back to uk often so used the opportunity to get a new one.

When I was sat down with the big boss to one side, she said I had too many visa exempts before and that I should get this tourist visa... So I said you mean like the one I have now?! So yeah.. I don't really understand why with a tourist visa they pulled me up. Maybe a power trip by the guy behind the screen or they have a new directive from above. Now that I'm in I will try to stay 7 months with 2 border crossings, hopefully. I guess next time I need to leave it 5 or 6 months before coming back.

Sent from my LG-H990 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Ok, Yeah, He did in fact look at the entries and since you've had many visa exempts before, he had to transfer you to the other team in order investigate the reason for that. Try to get a multiple-entry visa in your home country as it could add an entry every 3 months in stead of 1 month without one. The immigration is a division of the police authority so they're not linked to the Embassy and therefore when looked at your name in the database they're only limited to see your previous entries and not visas. Hence, you should be fine now with your new visa. It could be that he was new and got curious about your previous visits. If they thought you were working then you'd have to show up 20,000 baht so I don't think that was the case - at least that's what most people say.

No need to stay more than 1-3 months before getting a new visa. The embassies can't deny you if all the requirements are met, so they leave that to the immigration office.

Cheers!

3 hours ago, Shroud said:

No need to stay more than 1-3 months before getting a new visa. The embassies can't deny you if all the requirements are met, so they leave that to the immigration office.

Some embassies certainly do deny new tourist visas if you already had one recently, notably Paris.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, reenatinnakor said:

When I was sat down with the big boss to one side, she said I had too many visa exempts before and that I should get this tourist visa... So I said you mean like the one I have now?! So yeah.. I don't really understand why with a tourist visa they pulled me up. Maybe a power trip by the guy behind the screen or they have a new directive from above. 

Or perhaps not a "power trip",  he could have suspected, quite reasonably, that you may have been working here and was doing his job correctly.

• Like 2

There have numerous reports on TV over the years that getting a new passport may help you get a visa at an embassy/consulate since they don't have access to immigrations' computer records, but a new passport doesn't wipe the slate clean when you attempt to enter the country. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Just Weird said:

Or perhaps not a "power trip",  he could have suspected, quite reasonably, that you may have been working here and was doing his job correctly.

Yeah could be... but why would a call to my gf can convince them that I'm not working here?! Not that I'm complaining, but it all seems very random.

5 hours ago, reenatinnakor said:

Yeah could be... but why would a call to my gf can convince them that I'm not working here?! Not that I'm complaining, but it all seems very random.

The immigration official is trying to figure out why you want to spend so much time in Thailand. They do not find a burning desire to see every Thai temple convincing. However, it seems perfectly reasonable that someone with a serious girlfriend would want to spend as much time with her as possible. It reduces their sense that the reason for your extended time here is illegal working.

• Like 1