Photos: New Benz pick ups arrive in Thailand

8 hours ago, bermannor said:

You are right! Those who commented negatively are not the sharpest knives in Mom's kitchen drawer.

I did point this out 2 days ago Laos = LHD  left out the lhd in my post purposely to see who had the gumption to pick up on it , that's why i come to motoring for a larf not much else goes on here?

larf is the phonetic spelling of the way some Englishmen of low social status and education mispronounce "laugh".

The poster probably doesn't actually pronounce it that way when speaking, but wrote it that way to emphasize the lowness of the humor available  here.

It's not a word that would be necessarily understood by American speakers without guessing or googling. Aussies, who knows. Non-native speakers of course would be left in the dark, perhaps intentionally.

I am unaware of any context in which calling someone a snowflake is complementary.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jerry921 said:

larf is the phonetic spelling of the way some Englishmen of low social status and education mispronounce "laugh".

The poster probably doesn't actually pronounce it that way when speaking, but wrote it that way to emphasize the lowness of the humor available  here.

It's not a word that would be necessarily understood by American speakers without guessing or googling. Aussies, who knows. Non-native speakers of course would be left in the dark, perhaps intentionally.

I am unaware of any context in which calling someone a snowflake is complementary.

Check urban dictionary. Nobody can insult me, I only do myself

Englishman of low social status and education, living in Patty may be, could fit.

On ‎7‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 10:35 PM, ginjag said:

UGLY,  windows too small for the bulky body, headlights small and look outdated to newer car model lights.

Hate paying for the Badge

The "Badge" is usually why people buy these things, much like wearing a Rolex or carrying a D & G bag. It says (or is supposed to say), "Look, I'm wealthy". But in most cases, it is the financier who they are indebted to who is actually wealthy.

On 7/22/2018 at 2:38 AM, NE1 said:

By the way , the " grab handle " on the drivers side is usually called a steering wheel . ( sorry , couldn't resist it ). ?

That's what you grab when you're done texting, milliseconds before the crash.

On 7/21/2018 at 4:58 AM, giddyup said:

They are about as generic as they come.

Like a Hummer!!  Nothing there to pay that kind of money for, only to turn heads  -  Yep they are fugly............

On 7/22/2018 at 2:13 PM, bermannor said:

Check urban dictionary. Nobody can insult me, I only do myself

Englishman of low social status and education, living in Patty may be, could fit.

Coincidentally, I had checked exactly that before I wrote my post, because I like to be sure of things I write. So I will assure you once again that you have indeed been put down (but not by me, it was that other guy lol):

A term for someone that thinks they are unique and special, but really are not. It gained popularity after the movie "Fight Club" from the quote “You are not special. You're not a beautiful and unique snowflake. You're the same decaying organic matter as everything else."

Began being used extensively as a putdown for someone, usually on the political left, who is easily offended or felt they needed a "safe space" away from the harsh realities of the world, but now has morphed into a general putdown for anyone that complains about any subject.

45 minutes ago, jerry921 said:

Coincidentally, I had checked exactly that before I wrote my post, because I like to be sure of things I write. So I will assure you once again that you have indeed been put down (but not by me, it was that other guy lol):

A term for someone that thinks they are unique and special, but really are not. It gained popularity after the movie "Fight Club" from the quote “You are not special. You're not a beautiful and unique snowflake. You're the same decaying organic matter as everything else."

Began being used extensively as a putdown for someone, usually on the political left, who is easily offended or felt they needed a "safe space" away from the harsh realities of the world, but now has morphed into a general putdown for anyone that complains about any subject.

Thanks! But further down on urban dictionary:

A very sensitive person. Someone who is easily hurt or offended by the statements or actions of others.
This has nothing to do with politics. Snowflakes can be liberal or conservative. Whether it is a compliment or an insult is a matter of opinion and depends on the context.

I don't think that Samuel Smith ever read the urban dictionary or any dictionary. He certainly had the insult in mind. And probably it is more used in talking than writing. He simply wanted to sound sophisticated.
But as I said, only myself can insult me!
Edited by bermannor
Addition

1 hour ago, transam said:

This answers a lot of questions regarding the differences between the Merc and Nissan..

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2018-mercedes-benz-x-class-pickup-first-drive-review

As a westerner (western hemisphere) I always have trouble relating to Mercedes Benz being called Merc.

Mercury was a car made by Ford Motor Company from 1938 until 2010. They were nick named "Merc". In the west, we more commonly call Mercedes Benz "Benz" if we chose to shorten the name.

And transam, as I recall we called Transams an AM or a TA, something like that.

11 minutes ago, neeray said:

As a westerner (western hemisphere) I always have trouble relating to Mercedes Benz being called Merc.

Mercury was a car made by Ford Motor Company from 1938 until 2010. They were nick named "Merc". In the west, we more commonly call Mercedes Benz "Benz" if we chose to shorten the name.

And transam, as I recall we called Transams an AM or a TA, something like that.

Sorry, I am English and there we call them a Merc...BMW a Beamer...Transam a Trans..:stoner:

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, transam said:

Sorry, I am English and there we call them a Merc...BMW a Beamer...Transam a Trans..:stoner:

No problem. I can handle worldly differences. Just expressing my thoughts. Beamer is same here.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, neeray said:

No problem. I can handle worldly differences. Just expressing my thoughts. Beamer is same here.

But we do call a Chevy a Chevy...My chum just sold a '55 (383ci on gas,TH350, Dana 60)...:stoner:

5 minutes ago, transam said:

But we do call a Chevy a Chevy...My chum just sold a '55 (383ci on gas,TH350, Dana 60)...:stoner:

And in my younger, silly days, I had a 55, 56 and a 57 all at the same time. 57 had vette 350 LT1 with a little help, 350 turbo, tricked up transmission, Jag rear end. Wish I had the money now that I pissed away on these toys.

• Like 2