Leaving Thailand after 13 Years..

markusss

2 hours ago, JAFO said:

I will say ( and have said before) location is everything and ones attitude can have a huge impact on living here.  

Probably the two most important factors in having a trouble free life here.  I came fairly young so had many years of traveling and learning (sometimes the hard way)  what it takes to enjoy life here and finally end

up in a good place.  But hey, i don't regret the journey......

OOPS, Seems like my post ended up between a ROTH and a TAX PLACE.    sorry for my intrusion

Edited by rumak

3 minutes ago, mogandave said:

It is pretty nice doing taxes when you’ve been single your whole like the get a wife & kid....

I could actually kick myself for that.

Me and Mr G only formally married when we decided to move to the US and needed to be married for her to get a greencard. 

As soon as we did that I applied for an ITIN, which then got merged into her SSN when she entered as an immigrant.

With hindsight I probably could have saved myself quite a bit of tax over all the years we have been togther but not legally married

I could actually kick myself for that.
Me and Mr G only formally married when we decided to move to the US and needed to be married for her to get a greencard. 
As soon as we did that I applied for an ITIN, which then got merged into her SSN when she entered as an immigrant.
With hindsight I probably could have saved myself quite a bit of tax over all the years we have been togther but not legally married

Yeah, it’s a pretty big savings.

The Roth is great as well. Your wife does not have to have any income and (as long as you’re not over the income limit) you can fund it for here.

25 minutes ago, mogandave said:

Get your wife a taxpayer ID number and file joint.

Wife is US citizen and has SSN , we have being filing jointly for the past year.

I am certainly not selling for the first couple of years   while making sure Thailand is for me.

Property in US and Thailand is mortgage free, and don't really need the property income since income from Union pension, Social security and annuity is more than I can   spend . 

Roth IRA for the wife  is a good Idea and will look into a bit more, but if I understand correctly from the currsery research I just did, she cant touch it until 59 without facing significant penalties and tax exposure (with exceptions for medical bills, buying first house etc) . Perhaps a portion of the proceeds can go in to a Roth and left there until she reaches age, and a portion can be invested in a relatively safe vehicle that is more liquid.  By the way, just checked my Prudential account,down 6.13% for the year,  Ouch !!

But the point I was trying to make in support of Benroon's idea is that though keeping the property back home  might be a good hedge against inflation, it does have it's headaches, and does not have liquidity . I am not sure that after my passing away (many years from now I hope) my wife will have the sophistication required to safely and effectively negotiating the process of selling the house. 

Anyway Thank you all, All good advice above ,

No, you can draw contributions out of a Roth anytime, tax and penalty free.

The earnings in the Roth may be taxable if the account is less than five years old.

The Roth is NOT like a traditional IRA in that contributions are made post-taxes.

In my opinion, outside of a matching 401k, the Roth IRA is best investment vehicle available to anyone not over the income limit.

On 12/17/2018 at 10:50 PM, mogandave said:

No, you can draw contributions out of a Roth anytime, tax and penalty free.

The earnings in the Roth may be taxable if the account is less than five years old.

The Roth is NOT like a traditional IRA in that contributions are made post-taxes.

In my opinion, outside of a matching 401k, the Roth IRA is best investment vehicle available to anyone not over the income limit.

Hello - 

Was looking at Roths, but the upper limits are dismally low, correct? Several thousand USD/year? 

Been in Thailand for 11 years, I'm moving soon out of Thailand.

Thailand is not fun anymore, always stressed by the ongoing corruption, police checkups, immigration headaches. I feel persecuted even if I never did anything wrong. Thai people don't like foreigners anymore.

This time I stayed 2 whole months in Dubai and life is so much better than in Thailand, I will try to move definitely soon.

Also Thailand is now very expensive compared to before, for the same price you can have x2 quality of life in Dubai.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, JohnnyBKK said:

Thailand is not fun anymore, always stressed by the ongoing corruption, police checkups, immigration headaches. I feel persecuted even if I never did anything wrong. Thai people don't like foreigners anymore.

This time I stayed 2 whole months in Dubai and life is so much better than in Thailand, I will try to move definitely soon.

Also Thailand is now very expensive compared to before, for the same price you can have x2 quality of life in Dubai.

I'm not about to leave, but the only reason is my lady and also a couple of friends.  Everything else I can find elsewhere on a better platform.

I will be travelling in the coming year though, probably solo, just to see what's out there.  I think I'll have a hard time getting my girl to move permanently though.  I think it would be great to level the language department and make ourselves equals, and likely create a lot of understanding finally or the challenges we face in being 2nd class providers with restricted rights.  I'd pay for that lol.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, JohnnyBKK said:

I'm not about to leave, but the only reason is my lady and also a couple of friends.  Everything else I can find elsewhere on a better platform.

I will be travelling in the coming year though, probably solo, just to see what's out there.  I think I'll have a hard time getting my girl to move permanently though.  I think it would be great to level the language department and make ourselves equals, and likely create a lot of understanding finally re the challenges we face in being 2nd class providers with restricted rights.  I'd pay for that lol.

visa run really annoying issue, for those who tryna find a desperate woman to marry its not really solve the issue,

knew a brit that married thai for 20 yrs wih 2 kids still in trouble n so fuq up cuz his wife wanna divorce, poor girl been living with his shits for 20 yrs, dude still trying so hard find other desperate girl to be with , prolly end up the same over n over lolz

• Like 1

5 hours ago, sand th said:

visa run really annoying issue, for those who tryna find a desperate woman to marry its not really solve the issue,

knew a brit that married thai for 20 yrs wih 2 kids still in trouble n so fuq up cuz his wife wanna divorce, poor girl been living with his shits for 20 yrs, dude still trying so hard find other desperate girl to be with , prolly end up the same over n over lolz

I have been living with my Thai wife for nigh on 25 years, married for 18 and we have a 14 year old son. 

I am a Brit too and as in most marriages worldwide some stay together and some divorce. My first UK marriage lasted 21 years and we had a son who is now 40 with 2 kids of his own.

You pays your money and take a chance on marriage. It takes 2 people hard work to stay together.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, sand th said:

Yea blud, I get ya.

????

• Haha 2