Pattaya Castle Thappraya Pattaya ? Do you know what is this building ?

goegoe

That's on Soi 13. It's probably just a private residence for a rich Indian/Thai family, such as this one not far from there, also off Thappraya Road:

Cost over 200 million baht and much more spectacular...

Palace.PNG

• Like 2

6 hours ago, goegoe said:

Oh really ? Some people spend $5 millions for a house in Thailand ? ?

Where is the white one, I have never seen it.

Thanks.

It's in the small soi that cuts through from Pratumnak to Thappraya just behind Unixx. Go past SL Sports Lounge and around the corner and it's there.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, tropo said:

That's on Soi 13. It's probably just a private residence for a rich Indian/Thai family, such as this one not far from there, also off Thappraya Road:

Cost over 200 million baht and much more spectacular...

Palace.PNG

If you like the witch's hat look...

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, newnative said:

If you like the witch's hat look...

The Google street view snapshot doesn't do it justice and distorts the "witches hats" on the sides. Irrespective of whether or not you like the architecture, it is quite spectacular. It's probably on some of the most expensive real estate in Pattaya.

Edited by tropo

11 hours ago, goegoe said:

Where is the white one, I have never seen it.

Thanks.

It's on the north edge of Pratumnak Hill, not far from the tourist police center, on Pratumnak Road Soi 1. I think it was completed in 2015.

A fair bit of the value I mentioned would be the land. 

With respect to the building pointed out by the Op, I lived near there back in 2010-2012 and the scuttlebutt at the time was that it was built by the founder of asianrooms.com back in the 90s.  No idea if that was true.  They were a pioneer in internet booking of hotels but died a slow death.  No idea who owns the property now, but it is well maintained and has ample security.

https://www.traveltrends.biz/ttn555-asiarooms-com-to-cut-losses-and-close-after-21-years/

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Barefoot said:

With respect to the building pointed out by the Op, I lived near there back in 2010-2012 and the scuttlebutt at the time was that it was built by the founder of asianrooms.com back in the 90s.  No idea if that was true.  They were a pioneer in internet booking of hotels but died a slow death.  No idea who owns the property now, but it is well maintained and has ample security.

https://www.traveltrends.biz/ttn555-asiarooms-com-to-cut-losses-and-close-after-21-years/

They started building it in late 2004. Here's a Google Earth snapshot of the site on January 5, 2005. You can see they have started piling.

Castle google image 2004.png

The building is part of a big compound called the "Cyber Research Center".

Here's an old thread discussing it back in 2005 when it was still being built:

Apparently, it's owned (the Cyber Research Center) by the TUI group. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TUI_Group

It also might have been the headquarters of Asiarooms, which is part of TUI Travel PLC. I've heard it could be owned by a Frenchman or a Russian. My best guess is it's a private castle for a very wealthy businessman. The actual Cyber Research Center is adjacent to the castle, but part of the same secure compound.

TUI Travel PLC
Cyber Research Center
391/80 Moo 10, Tappraya Road,
Soi Tappraya 11, Nongpure,
Banglamung Chonburi 20150
Kingdom of Thailand

Here's some more discussion about it:

http://www.pattayadays.com/2011/07/arabian-cyber-knights/

Edited by tropo
  • Like 1

On 7/22/2018 at 4:45 PM, Barefoot said:

French owner sold Asiarooms $67millions and was bought by TUI only to be closed because it was a competitor of TUI websites...

On 7/21/2018 at 12:46 AM, goegoe said:

Not that unusual anymore, 1M US$ villas are very common already (Siam Royal View for example). Of course it's partly due to cost of construction and land having shot up in the last decade, but also houses built to western standards are more common now.

Still that castle is a bit special. There's another building, I think a hotel, in Pratumnak that has some turrets. Makes me wonder if they got cannons as well. I'd get some for sure. And a moat with crocks and some boiling tar to greet somchais with.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

14 hours ago, DrTuner said:
On 7/21/2018 at 12:46 AM, goegoe said:

Not that unusual anymore, 1M US$ villas are very common already (Siam Royal View for example). Of course it's partly due to cost of construction and land having shot up in the last decade, but also houses built to western standards are more common now.

Still that castle is a bit special. There's another building, I think a hotel, in Pratumnak that has some turrets. Makes me wonder if they got cannons as well. I'd get some for sure. And a moat with crocks and some boiling tar to greet somchais with.

These are way over $1 million. The one on Pratumnak Road Soi 1 (photo above) clocks in at over $6 million (2014 money), and the castle in this thread around 100 million baht, but in 2004 money (when construction commenced), which, due the low baht at that time, was only about $2.5 million.

5 hours ago, soistalker said:

The style of hosing proves that having money does not equate to having style .

That's the cool think about this world. People from different cultures and nationalities have different tastes. I actually think the castle looks great. I'd love to have a tour around it if that was possible. It's locked up like Fort Knox with 2 security guards sitting outside at night... one on each Soi.

• Like 1

How many castles are they bulding in Pattaya?

This one is from the Norwegians and the New Nordic Group:

And here is a story about it from Norway's Financial Times (Dagens Næringsliv): (you need subscription to read the whole story)

https://www.dn.no/magasinet-utgaven/dn-magasinet-2017-07-08/1

Edited by MartinBangkok
Spelling