Auspicious holidays brings two-day alcohol ban

rooster59

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, bluesofa said:

If you look at the table it tells you the King's birthday is 30th. That's another public holiday, but you can keep drinking then.

27th& 28th are for those "religious" reasons.

If you look at the table it tells you the King's birthday is 30th.?               Funny that, "observed"

H.M. Maha Vajiralongkorn Bodindradebayavarangkun was born on July 28th, 1952

image.jpg.cd6dd412ea18a27c52d22f589b06376d.jpg

2 hours ago, Kerryd said:

What, 18 posts in and 17 TV members haven't whined that this will be the straw that breaks the camel's back as far as the tourism industry is concerned ?

Or maybe they've all finally learned how to buy 2 bottles of Chang from the 7-11 the day before instead of the usual 1 ?

Two bottles of whisky I think you mean?

3 hours ago, bluesofa said:

Very true Crossy, how perceptive of you!

My turn: why does your lady need to be in front of the telly when you're drinking?

Cos the batteries have run out in the remote??????? lol

4 hours ago, rooster59 said:

As both are major religious holidays, the sale of alcohol is banned across the nation on both days.

.... although, as usual, every corner shop in every city, every village store, will be selling anyway. Because Thailand is Buddhist in name only. Everyone knows that.

Not that I care but Thailand is the only country on the planet banning booze on a Buddhist holiday. Laos, Cambodia, Myanmar/Burma, Vietnam as well as all South Asian countries have nothing the like.

Wondering if the powers-to-be are too religious or got something wrong. Expect completely empty shelves on 26th, Mom & Pop shops around my place are quite obviously not too Buddhist - as far as booze sales is concerned. Oh well ........... 

4 hours ago, bluesofa said:

True, I remember hearing the mother superior shouting: Right girls, candles out.

Reminds me of: 

Two nuns in a bath.

One says 'where's the soap'

The other replies: 'Yes it does, doesn't it'.

4 hours ago, Crossy said:

Argh, we have such a wonderful language. Let's try again.

I will consume as I do on most days, with my lady, in front of the telly.

EDIT I class this as "on-topic" as word games could be on the cards for those who failed to stock up. Just be happy we're not in India (specifically Bengaluru) where the hotels actually empty the mini-bars on no-alcohol days.

This is nothing. I flew home from Saudi once, New Year's Eve.....Saudi Air. 

Actually, the King's birthday is on Saturday 28th. Because of the Buddhist holiday on that day, it's been compensated to Monday 30th.  I'm sure next year it will be on the 28th as the Buddhist calendar moves but his birthday is fixed.  

I’d like to see a Venn diagram of the people who complain about regilious holidays in Thailand when alcohol can’t be sold, and  the people who complain about pot and advocate the death sentence for recreational drug users. 

I bet it looks like one circle. 

I think "Auspicious" is the wrong word for this holiday and a brainwashing description...the word "religious" would be more appropriate in many ways. Then again...can't help the conditioned masses and  lost causes when it comes to silly stuff like this.

2 hours ago, Guitar God said:

I’d like to see a Venn diagram of the people

You lost me in your first sentence, didn't do Venn diagrams in O level maths.

Archived