Auspicious holidays brings two-day alcohol ban

rooster59

On 7/21/2018 at 1:37 PM, Crossy said:

Argh, we have such a wonderful language. Let's try again.

I will consume as I do on most days, with my lady, in front of the telly.

EDIT I class this as "on-topic" as word games could be on the cards for those who failed to stock up. Just be happy we're not in India (specifically Bengaluru) where the hotels actually empty the mini-bars on no-alcohol days.

Reminds me of the Monte Python line "There's a penguin on the telly".

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, elgenon said:

Reminds me of the Monte Python line "There's a penguin on the telly".

And...………..

Son:- "Dad, there's a man at the door selling funny faces".

Dad:- "Tell him you've already got one, son".

Right here the problem with the question- "Why can't you just let us have our religious beliefs and leave us alone?" 

Because religious people keep interfering in my life, telling me what I can or cannot do, even though I don't share those totally unsubstantiated supernatural beliefs!

Cheers, all!

On 7/21/2018 at 1:37 PM, Crossy said:

Just be happy we're not in India (specifically Bengaluru) where the hotels actually empty the mini-bars on no-alcohol days.

I've been known to empty hotel room mini-bars in my youth.

... while on expenses.

So tourists arriving from UK will experience something unheard of in UK, Spain or Greece, on holiday , in restaurants , cafe-bars for two days but can not enjoy their holiday time with a drink or two. Seems so draconian, old fashioned and unsuited to a country so dependent on tourism. Maybe close an hour or two earlier even limit in drink bars but to stop couples , elderly or anyone have a glass or two when out ; just do not get it.  So extreme. Moreover ,  and separately I do not want pious health / diet freaks with former eating/drinking/health  issues telling me what I can and cannot do on my holiday. The vast majority of us here are responsible drinkers not young larger louts in Pataya , whatever 

On 7/21/2018 at 2:49 AM, Lupatria said:

Ready for a little giggle? In Europe 'little people' started a campaign to ban the term "mini bar" as they consider it as discriminating.

Minibar ...  Austin Powers fights with Mini-me.  Hilarious.  At 0:45.

On 7/21/2018 at 9:26 PM, The Deerhunter said:
On 7/21/2018 at 2:22 PM, Wilsonandson said:

The 7-11?
Very rarely go there to buy my booze. With mom & pop shops galore who cares about a ban anyway? Business as usual.

7/11 much dearer than Tesco or the specialty ice and booze shops.

But most of the old gits I've seen (especially in South Pattaya) look like they can barely make it as far as the nearest 7/11/Family Mart, let alone big box or specialty store. 
Like a couple (of guys) I saw day before yesterday. I was waiting for someone at a shop while various people were wandering to/from South Pattaya Road. Invariably, the old ("white") guys would come trundling back 10-15 minutes later with a 7-11 bag containing a large Chang and whatever snacks they could could afford.
I believe there are more than a few  living like that I believe. Maybe a bowl of noodles or something from a vendor, some snacks from the convenience store and a large bottle of beer to nurse throughout the day.
There are a few places where there are none of those little "mom/pop" shops or "unregistered" bars and the nearest booze shop is a mototaxi trip away (and that's a 40 baht round trip at least) ! 

Personally, I check the level(s) in my Jack Daniels bottles once in awhile and if need by I can pop over to the 7 (closest shop of any kind any ways) and buy some mix, which they sell at any time of any day ! 
(I still laugh at the "no booze sales from 2-5 pm" rule though. Went to Big C last week to pick up something for a birthday present. Didn't pay attention to the time. Tried to get a bottle of Johnny Walker but the staff pointed out that it was 10 minutes after 2 and I'd have to wait until 5 pm to buy it. Oh well, my friend probably didn't want that stuff anyways !)

It is a major event in many parts of the country. Traditionally, it marks the start of the rainy season which, back in the old, old days, was when travelling monks would find a temple to stay in as the rains made the "roads" impassable in many places.
The monks would remain in the temple until Awk Phansa (the end of the rainy season) and then carry on to (wherever). 

Also, the period between now and Awk Phansa is when many Thais (usually boys/men) will join the monkhood, even if it is just for a short period, so there may also be a lot of "ordination ceremonies" going on as well.

I recall a trip I made to Mae Hong Son back in '98. (Dang - that was 20 years ago now !)

My "friend" was feeling a bit tuckered out after following me around for 4 days hiking around temples, elephant rides, bamboo rafting (etc) so she wanted to stay at the guesthouse while I went to see more of the sights.

I was "downtown" (as much as you can be "downtown" in Mae Hong Son) when a procession of people started coming down the street. A large parade made up of assorted groups of different hill tribe women (and men) dressed in traditional costumes and playing traditional music.
As they came around one intersection, one group of women would stop and do a short dance routine and then move on. The next group would move up to the same spot and do a different dance. (Made the procession something of a caterpillar with the different groups starting/stopping every hundred meters or so.)

The procession ended at a local temple where everyone made offerings and the "money trees" were given to the temple.

parade6.jpg.d1fb863b1ba8ad0133623b19097b1482.jpg   parade8.jpg.0271ae280d86cb9e905f82acae768147.jpg  parade10.jpg.a7e4fcdd4e67d0e059e21dbd3c7f1293.jpg

Even had an elephant as a spectator (I think the truck just got to the intersection at the wrong time and was forced to wait).
parade16.jpg.479b9b305699b2e302e3223c4a7195d7.jpg

4 hours ago, Kerryd said:

But most of the old gits I've seen (especially in South Pattaya) look like they can barely make it as far as the nearest 7/11/Family Mart, let alone big box or specialty store. 
Like a couple (of guys) I saw day before yesterday. I was waiting for someone at a shop while various people were wandering to/from South Pattaya Road. Invariably, the old ("white") guys would come trundling back 10-15 minutes later with a 7-11 bag containing a large Chang and whatever snacks they could could afford.
I believe there are more than a few  living like that I believe. Maybe a bowl of noodles or something from a vendor, some snacks from the convenience store and a large bottle of beer to nurse throughout the day.
There are a few places where there are none of those little "mom/pop" shops or "unregistered" bars and the nearest booze shop is a mototaxi trip away (and that's a 40 baht round trip at least) ! 

Personally, I check the level(s) in my Jack Daniels bottles once in awhile and if need by I can pop over to the 7 (closest shop of any kind any ways) and buy some mix, which they sell at any time of any day ! 
(I still laugh at the "no booze sales from 2-5 pm" rule though. Went to Big C last week to pick up something for a birthday present. Didn't pay attention to the time. Tried to get a bottle of Johnny Walker but the staff pointed out that it was 10 minutes after 2 and I'd have to wait until 5 pm to buy it. Oh well, my friend probably didn't want that stuff anyways !)

Was that you I saw staring at me in Pattaya yesterday?  555

On 7/21/2018 at 1:49 PM, Lupatria said:

Ready for a little giggle? In Europe 'little people' started a campaign to ban the term "mini bar" as they consider it as discriminating.

Not exactly the same as a "mini ban" then? (Skirts or cars?)

It is okay for us who live here and can stock up,however imagine landing for the start of your holiday at let's say Phuket ,late thursday night,next day after a good kip ,you go out and fancy a beer only to be told no beer/alcohol today or tomorrow,what a great start to your holiday.

On 7/23/2018 at 3:29 PM, The Deerhunter said:

Was that you I saw staring at me in Pattaya yesterday?  555

Maybe !

Tell you're not one of the people living in one of those 9-10,000 a month Thai-style (one room and a bathroom) apartments that charge 500 b a month for water and 10 b per unit for electricity ! 
(I used to rent a room barely 400 meters from there but only paid 2,500 a month, plus around 4.5 b per unit for electricity and a much smaller fee for water.)
I watched a couple guys go into some of those places and it had me thinking (I had a long wait sitting in front of buddy's shop). If they moved 500 meters away, their monthly costs could be half of what they are currently paying.
They might even be able to afford a better brand of beer (once in awhile) or a meal that doesn't come out of a microwave (or plastic bag) !

Sheesh, on the dark side you can rent a house for less than that and pay way less for electricity and water as well. But then, you are further away from the "action" as well (which I suspect a lot of those guys couldn't afford either).

8 hours ago, Kerryd said:

Maybe !

Tell you're not one of the people living in one of those 9-10,000 a month Thai-style (one room and a bathroom) apartments that charge 500 b a month for water and 10 b per unit for electricity ! 
(I used to rent a room barely 400 meters from there but only paid 2,500 a month, plus around 4.5 b per unit for electricity and a much smaller fee for water.)
I watched a couple guys go into some of those places and it had me thinking (I had a long wait sitting in front of buddy's shop). If they moved 500 meters away, their monthly costs could be half of what they are currently paying.
They might even be able to afford a better brand of beer (once in awhile) or a meal that doesn't come out of a microwave (or plastic bag) !

Sheesh, on the dark side you can rent a house for less than that and pay way less for electricity and water as well. But then, you are further away from the "action" as well (which I suspect a lot of those guys couldn't afford either).

I was just yanking your chain.  I live on 11 rai in the countryside 1.5 hours from there.  I get to sleep with my landlady every night at no extra charge.

Archived