Is Thailand a bad idea?

Boy Wonder

12 minutes ago, goegoe said:

Come ! you are a lot less likely to be shot than in US !

And how do you like booties ? small or big ? You can find both here anyway ! Enjoy !

And the festivals are great.Always something happening here.

1 hour ago, The manic said:

Doing what?

Selling on Amazon, blogging, selling digital courses, doing SEO consultancy, affiliate marketing, running Shopify stores, and a whole lot more. As a online marketer myself, I have dozens of friends in Thailand who make a good to outstanding living online. 

There are many options - just talk to members of the thriving digital nomad community in Chiang Mai. This is a great time to start a new life in Thailand!

Well, you surprise me. Young guy like you. Thailand is not an easy country to live in. Far to many rules ect for foreigners. You would have a great deal of trouble living there regarding visas. There really is no way for you to legally live there. The police and  imagination will not leave you in peace, you will need to expect to give a lot of money for them to leave you alone. You would be far better to live in Vietnam or Cambodia, 

more freedom and cheaper. 

I would seriously forget Thailand Man.

• Sad 1

I reckon it's a bit of a myth about Thais discriminating against black Americans. I've met a few and they have complained about being swamped with women and amazed by the general friendliness and happiness of Thais.

As other posters have stated, it mainly depends on your personality and how you present. A jerk is a jerk no matter the colour of his skin or what he looks like. It doesn't matter if you are in Thailand, America or Australia.

If you're a snappy dresser, polite and smile a lot, you'll do well at whatever you want to try. First impressions really do count over here in Thailand. I'm not saying Thais are superficial, they are just conditioned to assume that someone who looks good must know what they are doing.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jimcarr65 said:

Go for 30 days visa exempt and see if you like it brother and quit reading all these comments, by the time you are done reading them you will be no wiser just confused.

Best advice of the thread.

A guy with Tattoos and doesn't want to be the centre of attraction??

If it is one or two very small ones then fine, but again, maybe I'm wrong, I haven't

really noticed, but do tattoos stand out on a black person?

I do know this- working online while sometimes lucrative does not build a 40 year career; benefits; pensions; or investments that allow you to retire with a good income which will be needed more and more in Thailand as the Thai Baht eventually strengthens- inflation continues- and big ticket items become out of reach.

As I mentioned earlier- 2 years max- then get a long term position with a big name company; or an education  from a big name US University  Don't listen to all the nonsense about 'finding yourself' etc.  Real wealth comes from people who work at it  and grab opportunity.  Most of the Americans and other Westerners who  came to Thailand in their 20's failed, died or left broke.  The few who made it big are still here and I can count them on one hand.

Thailand will  always be here.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Boy Wonder said:

What is your personal opinion of the outcome of my going to Thailand? In other words, am I delusional to think that going to Thailand will somehow solve the novelty, fulfillment and cost of living problems I'm having

$100k and cost of living problems? hmmm...

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, smotherb said:

Ah, don't be, I will die some day.

Yeah, but it sounds like you'll have had more fun with food than me. Due to a clogged bile duct, I have to be careful with fatty foods. Like I said, jealous.

Go to Cambodia first then the Philippines,then Thailand. You will like the crazy times in Cambodia but be glad that you left for the Philippines with all the cheap beer and young girls that you can handle while you are learning how to protect yourself from armed robbers and the worlds best pickpockets.You will then go to "The Land Of Smiles" . A land that caters to the interest and whelms  that can please everyone from families ,backpackers,and the single seeking all the pleasures of life, while meeting some of the most friendliest people in the world..You will now learn that this is the place that you will now live or  will always come back to . Enjoy my friend when you arrive and pleasant stay.,,,,DJ

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Yeah, but it sounds like you'll have had more fun with food than me. Due to a clogged bile duct, I have to be careful with fatty foods. Like I said, jealous.

That's too bad. I have been lucky with health issues. At 73, I can still eat and drink anything I want; and I do like breakfast. But, I am slowing down; it happens to us all.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, geriatrickid said:

Here's a hint; Whenever my Thai friends wish to refer to a person of colour they will often use the expression "Nigeria" and it is done in a negative sense. Africans  are looked down upon and are treated very poorly. The reality is that Asians are a racist lot. Racial profiling and prejudice is endemic and an integral part of the culture. Consider the fact that skin whitening products are massive here. 

In Thailand dreds and tats are fine for Issan based general labour, or Bangkok nightclub singers, but in the  caste like social hierarchy, it is a sign of a low class background. 

However, you will probably fit in just nicely with some of the other tattooed and dredded up farangs. Thailand attracts a lower end foreign demographic quality. Successful, educated and wealthy foreigners do not pick Thailand as a  place to retire to, nor do they seek out careers here unless posted by a foreign multinational. Many will say I am wrong, but a quick look at the foreign business associations and listings will show some slim pickings. It's quite a contrast to Hong Kong or Singapore or Tokyo. Even Beijing and Shanghai have a more robust foreign expat population. All of these places have young vibrant expat communities.

If you have an issue  with police profiling and random searches, then Thailand will not be for you. As a black male with dreds you will proably be  constantly stopped, searched and required to give a urine sample. You may even be targeted for harassment, just for looking like you do.

"Successful, educated and wealthy foreigners do not pick Thailand as a place to retire to" - YES you are wrong!

22 hours ago, Boy Wonder said:
  • From your own perspective, what have been the pros/cons of living long term in Thailand as opposed to the west?
  • What is your personal opinion of the outcome of my going to Thailand? In other words, am I delusional to think that going to Thailand will somehow solve the novelty, fulfillment and cost of living problems I'm having, or do you think this may be a good idea?
  • Given my personal description, do you think Thai people will be welcoming, or will I feel alienated?

From my point of view, and probably also many others, there are lots of pros; but bear in mind, many of the long term expats here are either staying under retirement conditions – i.e. over 50-years of age, so easy to get annual extension of stay – or based on marriage to a Thai, which also can gives annual extensions of stay. Whilst being under 50 years old and not married to a Thai, your best condition for an extended stay in the Kingdom is Elite Card, which is not out-of-range with an annual income in level of $100k.

Pros include costs of living – as you say, one can live a more lavish lifestyle than at home – and the weather, depending of from where one originates, like avoiding winter; living like an for ever extended holiday, depending of which destination you chose to live; and the polite smiling service everywhere, at least were I come; and not to forget the gorgeous ladies (but be careful about falling in love)...?

Cons include the different culture, and different way things are handled, which require you are prepared to do many things the-Thai-way-of-thinking; and that things you might expect as always working at home, can be a problem, like electric power and power-cuts, garbage collection, water supply etc.; and that living a Western life-style is not cheaper than at home, rather little more expensive; and that one's pation can end and getting so tired of Thai-way-of-thinking, so after 13-years or so, that's it – however not all, I've been here permanent for 13-years now, and look forward to continue – and not to forget if you fell in love with one of the gorgeous gold digger-ladies...?

You should get a 60-day tourist visa, which include a possibility of a 30-days extension, and try to stay a longer period, before you make any decision; preferable a couple of times. Don't stay one place, but get around and try to live at different locations that might be an option; and when you find some potential nice places, make sure you visit them a couple of times during different parts of the year, as rainy season, or monsoon – and even winter – might be very different from summer. Also check city lifestyle compared to beach areas and holiday destinations, and don't forget the Northern parts like Chiang Mai and others; we are all different, and at your age, you may discover something you didn't know you would like.

Cost of living is a rubber band, because it's really depending of lifestyle; what do you for example think of, when saying lavish lifestyle? Your $100k might not be enough to a Thai-way of lavish lifestyle – I presume it's an annual income, however if monthly, it might do – but compared to a more "normal" lifestyle you can do very well for 3+ million baht a year; many can live well for a lot less than that.

Also bear in mind that the novelty might disappear over time – any period from month to years – however a young guy might also change, so after a decade or less you might not seek for the same level of novelty: another good reason to test before making any decisions.

To sum up, I think it's a very good idea to try a couple of 90-days visits, and see various places, as whatever you read or hear or see in Cyberspace, can be extremely different from the real World.

You will be welcomed in Land of Smiles, but to keep the locals smiling and welcoming you, really depend of your own behavior. If you intend to be very private, and not to a level follow local rites, you might feel that Thailand can be extremely racisttic.

In the area where I live there are a number black expats – we got three or four black kids in our small bi-lingual school in the village – and all seem to both be welcomed and also "integrated", because they adopted enough Thai behavior to get around. It can be such easy small things as smiling; and a wai to the locals, especially the elder; and being polite and humoreistic, Thais loves to joke.

Feeling alienated in the area I know, is in my opinion really up to how one behave, both among other expats and locals; with the right positive spirit one can have a perfect life as expat in Thailand...?

For your info:

I've been living on the island Samui for 13 years, since I was 55 years old. If you're interested, you can read little more details in my profile.

Edited by khunPer
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

OP - get out there and live life. Try it, if you don't like it, move on, there's a big world out there.

I turned down a very successful career offer in my early days to take a sabbatical and try living in Thailand, had many ups and downs, but I never had to face the question - WHAT IF?......

What if must be one of the most soul destroying thoughts anyone can have who's led a mediocre life, and regret not being bolder.

I'm now back in Thailand for my retirement, so far so good, some frustrations but still as good a place as many I've visited and lived in. 

The Thailand experience is different for everyone, as you will have read already. Circumstances and attitude will dictate how your experience plays out. Trust your own judgement not what others tell you!

2 minutes ago, Tofer said:

OP - get out there and live life. Try it, if you don't like it, move on, there's a big world out there.

I turned down a very successful career offer in my early days to take a sabbatical and try living in Thailand, had many ups and downs, but I never had to face the question - WHAT IF?......

What if must be one of the most soul destroying thoughts anyone can have who's led a mediocre life, and regret not being bolder.

I'm now back in Thailand for my retirement, so far so good, some frustrations but still as good a place as many I've visited and lived in. 

The Thailand experience is different for everyone, as you will have read already. Circumstances and attitude will dictate how your experience plays out. Trust your own judgement not what others tell you!

Absolutely great advice and sage direction.

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Tofer said:

"Successful, educated and wealthy foreigners do not pick Thailand as a place to retire to" - YES you are wrong!

Nope. In respect to measurements such as education and wealth, Thailand is not a target destination. These are the people who put a value on country specifics such as;

- Personal safety

- Access to  quality healthcare in a timely manner

- Ease of immigration requirements.

- Travel convenience

Believe it or not, the south of France, Spain, Portugal and even the USA remain the preferred destinations of the high end demographic from Russia, and South America.The wealthy Chinese prefer the UK, Australia, Canada  the USA over Thailand. That is because that is where they have sent their younger family members.

The OP is young and is in IT related work. A very different demographic and one that will tolerate poor quality medical care, corruption and high personal risk. These older people I reference want safety and certainty. A country given to military coups, mass riots and  poor infrastructure doesn't provide that.  If you believe that a higher end retiree is going to put down 20 million baht  on a home and accept that the  wiring is deficient and that the construction quality is  poor, you are mistaken.

There are very few westerners retired in Thailand with multimillion dollar/Euro liquidity. If they are here, it is because they have had long standing ties, dating back decades. Why would anyone put up with the visa nonsense, or  want to deal with a backward infrastructure?  Sorry to say, Thailand is usually the option for those who cannot do better. Some people do live within their means.

• Like 1

..........and at the end of the day:

- A few 100'000 Africans want to live in Europe because "Life is good and money grows on trees".
- A few 100'000 Farangs  want to live in Thailand as soon as they hear about "low cost of living and the uncomplicated interactions between Males and Females".
The "uncomplicated interactions" has a special lure, since taking out a European-Lady out for dinner (plus, plus,plus), is starting to take the form and shape of a major investement nowadays.

I suppose that those 2 factors have directed the interest of the OP towards Thailand specifically.

I have serious doubts that the Temples or the Finnish-Sauna-Climate in Thailand is the cause that the OP wants to leave Silicone-Valley.

As I am approached by Farangs frequently, contemplating to locate in Thailand, after some serious discussion, the "low cost of living and/or the uncomplicated interactions between Males and Females" remains the driving force behind such a project.

Others please themselves by practising active hypocrisy.
Cheers.

12 hours ago, FritsSikkink said:

He is earning enough money to live in a good neighborhood, where he will be appreciated. Yes, you can't win them all but compared to the USA he will be fine.

I thought you can only stay one month then have to fly out every 30 days or do a border crossing every 15 and you are limited to doing it 4 times.

Thanks again to everyone that has responded with their point of view, I find all of it very helpful and I appreciate you taking the time to chime in with both the negatives and the positives.

Going to respond to a few comments together.

To the questions about my income:

I live in Silicon Valley. A $100k salary is nothing special here, but the cost of living relative to the income is a crime. You can pay $3k for a one bedroom apartment...when you make roughly $5k a month after taxes, that leaves you very little for other bills, play, and saving. Not saying I pay $3k a month for rent, but just giving you some perspective on what many unenlightened people pay for a living here.

A $500 condo in BKK/CM with $1 street food lunches sounds like music to my ears coming from a place like this.

I also have technical skills, so working online remotely is a non-issue as well. Remote work is becoming more and more prevalent in IT, and you still get paid the same. I also have my own projects geared towards generating money, I have investments, and I have savings. All in all, money is the least of my concerns.

To the comments about immigration:

I just thought I'd live there for a year or so on a tourist visa and keep renewing it, but apparently I'll have to find another way if I want to avoid being hassled by immigration...

I'll look into an elite visa or student visa like some of you have mentioned. Would rather not spend $15k on an elite visa -- especially if I decide I don't like it. I think I'll try a tourist visa first and then make a decision later...

To the ridiculous "it's impossible to not enjoy America" comments:

We all are vulnerable to becoming desensitized to things we're used to. I've been here my whole life, and nothing is new. There isn't anything 'wrong', per se, it's just that I want new experiences and I feel like I've maxed out on that here (trust me, I've done a lot of interesting things in my life even though I'm relatively young).

If I grew up an immigrant that looked forward to coming to America, the land of opportunity, then maybe I'd have different views. But that's not the case; I'm from here. As such, it's all normal to me. Normal quickly becomes mundane.

Travel seems like something that will provide novelty and experience.

Edited by Boy Wonder

2 minutes ago, Boy Wonder said:

Thanks again to everyone that has responded with their point of view, I find all of it very helpful and I appreciate you taking the time to chime in with both the negatives and the positives.

Going to respond to a few comments together.

To the questions about my income:

I live in Silicon Valley. A $100k salary is nothing special here, but the cost of living relative to the income is a crime. You can pay $3k for a one bedroom apartment...when you make roughly $5k a month after taxes, that leaves you very little for other bills, play, and saving. Not saying I pay $3k a month for rent, but just giving you some perspective on what many unenlightened people pay for a living here.

A $500 condo in BKK/CM with $1 street food lunches sounds like music to my ears coming from a place like this.

I also have technical skills, so working online remotely is a non-issue as well. Remote work is becoming more and more prevalent in IT, and you still get paid the same. I also have my own projects geared towards generating money, I have investments, and I have savings.

All in all, money is the least of my concerns.

To the comments about immigration:

I just thought I'd live there for a year or so on a tourist visa and keep renewing it, but apparently I'll have to find another way if I want to avoid being hassled by immigration... 

I'll look into an elite visa or student visa like some of you have mentioned. Would rather not spend $15k on an elite visa -- especially if I decide I don't like it. I think I'll try a tourist visa first and then make a decision later...

To the ridiculous "it's impossible to not enjoy America" comments:

We all are vulnerable to becoming desensitized to things we're used to. I've been here my whole life, and nothing is new. There isn't anything 'wrong', per se, it's just that I want new experiences and I feel like I've maxed out on that here (trust me, I've done a lot of interesting things in my life even though I'm relatively young).

If I grew up an immigrant that looked forward to coming to America, the land of opportunity, then maybe I'd have different views. But that's not the case; I'm from here. As such, it's all normal to me. Normal quickly becomes mundane.

Travel seems like like something that will provide novelty and experience.

Dude, what you are looking for is in Siem Reap, Cambodia. Or anywhere in Cambodia. You can get 6 month 'Extended Holiday" visas back-to-back for $280US each time. EASY. Just ask for an ORDINARY VISA ($35US) when you enter not a TOURIST VISA ($30). Because you can't extend the Tourist Visa but you can extend the Ordinary Visa before the end of the 30 days. Its VISA ON ARRIVAL. No hassles. Thailand, with their immigration hassles, is a waste of time. They don't deserve your money with all the hassle they put Digital Nomads through they just don't get it, so they can just go F themselves and now everybody is coming to Cambodia. Plus Cambodia is cheaper. I live in a resort with 25 meter swimming pool, cleaners every day, large LCD to hook up my laptop, tropical garden surrounding my apartment which is seperate from the others, like bungalow. No noice, quiet all the time, total peace but a nice bar with the tourist girls who come past. So many places in Cambodia. Cambodia is booming. The Thai huggers here won't tell you the truth. The Immigration/Tourism Minister of Thailand has destroyed Thailand. It's CAMBODIA now. Come to Cambodia.

I've got a 1000ft suite with office desk 20ft long at two levels partitioned - one you can stand the other sit. I've got all new furnishings, awesome king bed, space to do my yoga, beautiful balcony with orhcestra of morning birds in the tropical forest I am surrounded by, just 1km from the Angkor Wat temples, 25 meter swimming pool, never get bothered, room cleaned new every day, all new, everything new, no dirt nothing, 36inch LCD for my laptop, I could probably even ask them for another one to add to my system for extra $1 a day.

beautiful and quiet, and I pay $360 a month no contract. Just $360US upfront each month,

The normal price for people staying just one night is $36US a night.

Gym around the corner, best place ever. And 6 month visas for $280 hassle-free, no paper-work, just give your passport to the travel agency and a week later they got your 6 month visa and THEN you pay them. Don't even pay them upfront.

Cambodian people most honest people - They don't barter. They tell you same price they tell anyone. they are like AUstraians that way. They dont play games with prices.

Thailand is for hookers and drug addicts. Cambodian girls are not slutty. They are all respectful and they all dress beautiful and are beautiful and all have cute little kids - What I mean is girls here get married young, this is a ZEN PLACE, this is not for scoundrels. This is a pure place, for the soul and spirit, the true nature of peace and tranquility.  And the traffic is not busy, it flows like a leaf in a creek, fast as you can ride a bicycle, and no crazy drivers, and nobody honks their horns.  you best to get a bicycle in Siem Reap because you can get around as fast as anyone on a moped. They have everything here and anything else you can buy through Facebook online paying with their paypal system and they send by bus, hassle-free, never any scammers. No scams. I think they must shoot their scammers. No beggers around, none. Nobody comes up to you begging. You better getting a moped or bicycle because then nobody asks you for "tuk tuk" because that is the only annoying thing but if you have a helmet with you they know you got transport already so they don't ask you.

I am telling you man. Move that Google Maps over to Cambodia and check that out.

Thailand is finished. Cambodia is HASSLE FREE. Never a problem here. Problems do not exist in Siem Reap. The Buddhists protect Siem Reap from Problems. Problems can not enter Siem Reap.

Edited by KarminLine
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, KarminLine said:

I've got a 1000ft suite with office desk 20ft long at two levels partitioned - one you can stand the other sit. I've got all new furnishings, awesome king bed, space to do my yoga, beautiful balcony with orhcestra of morning birds in the tropical forest I am surrounded by, just 1km from the Angkor Wat temples, 25 meter swimming pool, never get bothered, room cleaned new every day, all new, everything new, no dirt nothing,

beautiful and quiet, and I pay $360 a month no contract. Just $360US upfront each month,

The normal price for people staying just one night is $36US a night.

Gym around the corner, best place ever. And 6 month visas for $280 hassle-free, no paper-work, just give your passport to the travel agency and a week later they got your 6 month visa and THEN you pay them. Don't even pay them upfront.

Cambodian people most honest people - They don't barter. They tell you same price they tell anyone. they are like AUstraians that way. They dont play games with prices.

Thailand is for hookers and drug addicts.

and your electric rate?

Dude, you are young, mobile (work online) and successful. Try things here, if you like it great, if you tire of Thailand try somewhere else. No place is perfect. Life is a big adventure. Sample all the world has to offer. 

13 minutes ago, moontang said:

and your electric rate?

No its all included dude. Aircon, everything. Actually you don't even need aircon. I prefer a fan. It's only aircon hot in december-march.

$360 for everything.

Internet has not failed for 3 months straight. Streams HD youtube always no problem. Even when I am using torrents no problem. Is superfast and super reliable.

ELectricity outages - Have had 6 in 3 months, lasted average 15 minutes max.

Edited by KarminLine

If you get sick bad, there is international hospital next to the airport they fly you out straight to bangkok is only 40 minutes to get to bangkok in their emergency medical plane. So you might want insurance for that. I have not checked that out because I am immortal.