Thailand's rabies death toll up to 14 this year

webfact

Rabies death toll rises to 14 for year so far

By The Nation

f8d290156b96525d7a8cb9ebceaca13b.jpg

FILE photo

Two more people died of rabies in the past two weeks, raising the death toll in Thailand this year to 14, a senior Public Health Ministry official said on Monday.

Dr Suwannachai Watanayingcharoen, director general of the Disease Control Department, said a 19-year-old man in Buri Ram who’d been bitten in April on the shoulder and chest by a dog was not vaccinated against rabies.

Nor was a 55-year-old woman in Rayong bitten by a stray dog in January, who opted for “magical” treatment from a practitioner of traditional folk medicine rather than go to hospital.

Suwannachai said two people had died of rabies this year in Buri Ram, two in Rayong and one each in Surin, Songkhla, Trang, Nakhon Ratchasima, Prachuap Khiri Khan, Phatthalung, Nong Khai, Yasothon, Kalasin and Mukdahan.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30350620

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-07-23

Lots of dogs on soi nernplabwan and country club.  They get quite aggressivw towards one another.  I've been nipped once.  All you can do is be wary.  They are am acceped part of Thailand so you just need to be careful.  Carry a stick. If you don't have a stick, wave your hand up high at them and spread your arms out wide and make yourself look bigger like a peacock.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, IAMHERE said:

Every dog you see is potentially your death instrument. Thailand needs to fix this problem or the tourist industry will die too.

A country that is unable or unwilling to enforce simple helmet laws, has little chance in "fixing" this tragedy. Perhaps when the powerful and monied start dying, then something

may be done.

3 hours ago, IAMHERE said:

Every dog you see is potentially your death instrument. Thailand needs to fix this problem or the tourist industry will die too.

Your first comment is right, but let's not exaggerate.  Very many tourist destinations in the World have worse rabies problems than Thailand, India for one. I very much doubt that it will have any impact on tourism to Thailand.  

2 hours ago, sanmyn said:

Thailand needs to put aside beliefs and put to sleep the vast quantity of Soi Dogs to protect residents and visitors from a painful rabies death. 

The vast majority of soi dogs have little wrong with them, bar fleas, tricks and skin aliments   . 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PatOngo said:

TAT assures us that Thailand is safe for tourists, just beware of dogs, busses, boats, ladyboys etc. and enjoy your holiday! 

for a second there I thought you were listing the issues in the vast majority of  Asian, African and South American  tourist destinations, but you were singling out Thailand apparently?    I wonder why that's all. 

1 hour ago, tigermoth said:

Until Thailand has some sort of laws against stray dogs or even owned dogs the government is responsible for these deaths.

All dogs running loose must be caught and impounded and if not claimed within 48 houre destroyed.

Owned dogs must be kept within the owners property and if outside the property must be on a leash, not alone.

All dogs must have a collar with an identifying tag, a registration number or an address.

Failure to comply with the above will result in a substantial fine, i.e. 10,000 to 20,000 baht.

The above rules exist in most democratic countries in the world and rabies is extremely rare.

Tell you what.  If you go to the trouble of catching them, why not vaccinate them?  Why should they die to save human ass. 

Why not kill all the snakes, millipedes, scorpions, Elephants that might crush someone,  Tigers, Lions, monkeys, etc.  The World would be safe.  Oh no wait, how about  some of the most aggressive humans,  as a precaution you understand ?  So where does it end?  

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, PatOngo said:

Because it is the only place relevant to this forum!

Ah,  okay, so  context and perspective are unimportant here then? 

Edited by Pilotman

23 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

Ah,  okay, so  context and perspective are unimportant here then? 

NO! South America and Africa are irrelevant! But honestly, some of the dogs are horrible!

• Like 1

Simple solution,  get with modern times, remove stray dogs from the streets, schools grounds, parks  etc.

Owners of dogs should be made to license their dog/s and be accountable for the mess their dog/s leave on the side-walk, and be forced to control their pet/s with the use of a lead plus muzzle whilst in public! 

Dogs can be very dangerous creatures and therefore must be controlled.

It's not rocket science! Common sense is all it takes. Cough! Cough! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, PatOngo said:

NO! South America and Africa are irrelevant! But honestly, some of the dogs are horrible!

I'm sorry, and I dont mean to be argumentative, everyone is entitled to an opinion.  But, some of the Thai dogs are 'horrible', what, at being dogs?  They are certainly territorial, but they're dogs.  They can be quite aggressive, they're  dogs. I don't have any mandate for dogs, I'm a person myself, and they can be just as 'horrible'.  at being cats. The problem is not  with the dogs, its with the owners, or the people that are closest to the dogs, usually the odd home owner who feed them occasionally.  Destroying them is not the answer, controlling the population through selective sterilisation is much more effective. .  

4 hours ago, stud858 said:

Lots of dogs on soi nernplabwan and country club.  They get quite aggressivw towards one another.  I've been nipped once.  All you can do is be wary.  They are am acceped part of Thailand so you just need to be careful.  Carry a stick. If you don't have a stick, wave your hand up high at them and spread your arms out wide and make yourself look bigger like a peacock.

Just pretend to pick up a stone from the ground. They'll get the message...

• Haha 2