Retirement extension a breeze.

giddyup

6 minutes ago, catman20 said:

some people don't get enough money from their retirement fund either. 

Then they can't afford to live here. What will happen when they eventually close the loophole that allows people to obtain extensions illegally?

• Like 2

In June, I arrived at 8:22am and was #1 in the queue.  Desk 8 started processing at 8:33am and I was finished at 8:35am (had all documents including completed application form, photocopies, income letter, and photo with me). 

The previous year, I was #6 in the queue. Arrived at 8:10am and got photo taken next door, then into Immigration - Desk 8 started processing promptly at 8:30am and I was finished and heading out the door at 8:40am [two Officers were looking at the documents and 4 ahead of me didn't take long as their paperwork was not complete and they were sent to get what they didn't have].    After they moved to Jomtien Soi 5, I think the longest time it has taken me was about 45 minutes with much of the time waiting form my queue number to be called.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, giddyup said:

And you pay through the nose for it. Today was very brief, but if you have all the correct paperwork (a doddle) it still is only an hour or so if you go on the right days. If someone's time is that precious that they can't afford an hour of their time once a year, I suggest they think they are more important than they are, either that or the paperwork is just too difficult for them.

And if you use an Agent you run a risk.  Thousands of people travel on fake passports - and many are copies of legitimate ones.  There is lots of info avaiulable on the web about getting fake IDs  and real Passport details are often used for this purpose - it is very common.  Where do you think they get the details of real passports? 

50 minutes beats my fastest time for getting it all together and processed - but I wouldnt ever use an Agent. 

17 hours ago, lovelomsak said:

I think maybe guys who are on the edge of legal use an agent.The agent shows up with 10 passports to get done at the same time,and immigration just rubber stamps them all basically.

Disagree! People with money use agents, which I'd do myself if I had money to burn. Why would anyone rolling in it want to go to the trouble of visiting any local government office if they could pay others to do it. It's just like employing a gardener or cleaner, you do it because you can.

Most of my visits to Pattaya immigration have been trouble-free, but a few over the last eleven years have been absolute mares. 

• Like 1

We are arguing at cross purposes. According to the OP and others, Jomtien Immigration is quick and easy. Therefore, engaging an agent THERE may be inefficient and a waste of money.

As I've said before, Chiang Mai Immigration is notorious for delay and difficulty. So pouring scorn on those who use an agent is illogical, if the OP is attempting to extrapolate his pleasant experience from Jomtien to Chiang Mai.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yes you are quite lucky.  Here in Chiangmai , about 50 minutes from the time your queue number is called.

BUT, to get the queue number you have to show at 4 or 5 am to line up and then at about 8 am they start giving queue numbers. If you are late to get the daily queue numbers , ….They tell you  come back tomorrow.

It seems this  probably cause  a lot of expats to use "agents".....

• Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, Rally123 said:

That's a 5-6 hour drive, plus time at the embassy, plus a 5-6 hours return drive, for some.  

All of which costs, money and time.

Last year, I changed from the 800,000 baht to an income stat dec. Was charged 1900 baht by the Australian Consulate.

Going back to the 800,000 baht for my next extension. A bank letter costs 200 baht.

I will be doing mine tomorrow,  my bank opens at 8.30 on pattaya Klang,  hope to be at immigration by 9am, but as  immigration is closed on 27th does that mean it will be busy?  Will I get my passport back tomorrow or have to wait until after the bank holiday?  I  also need to get a multi re-entry permit before I  leave Thailand on the 3rd August,  hopefully there won't be any delays. 

20 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

Is proof required for the Australian income letter ? or is it just a declaration, I earn x, signed and stamped ?

Unless it's changed it used to be a stat dec, the embassy accepted your word of income.

• Thanks 1

A troll post and reply have been removed.

Had to make two journeys to Jomtien Immigration last year as the bank wrote 'current' account and not as it should have read 'deposit' account,  had to go back to the bank and get it re written, but time at the immigration desk about five minutes only, takes longer then that trying to find a parking spot. 

This year there is a new form they had me sign saying you have read it setting out the penalties for overstay on a sliding scale of overstay days leading up to a permanent ban from the Kingdom 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, buffallobill said:

I will be doing mine tomorrow,  my bank opens at 8.30 on pattaya Klang,  hope to be at immigration by 9am, but as  immigration is closed on 27th does that mean it will be busy?  Will I get my passport back tomorrow or have to wait until after the bank holiday?  I  also need to get a multi re-entry permit before I  leave Thailand on the 3rd August,  hopefully there won't be any delays. 

Any week with a holiday is is always a bad choice, simply because the workload of the 5 normal days has to be done over 4. Next week will be the same.

If you apply before mid-morning then you will normally get your passport back after lunch.

I've never had any trouble with a bank letter obtained the day before.

Personally I always apply in the afternoon and get my passport back the next day.

You can apply for the re-entry permit as soon as you have collected your passport, and this normally does not take long in Jomtien.

1 hour ago, Lacessit said:

We are arguing at cross purposes. According to the OP and others, Jomtien Immigration is quick and easy. Therefore, engaging an agent THERE may be inefficient and a waste of money.

As I've said before, Chiang Mai Immigration is notorious for delay and difficulty. So pouring scorn on those who use an agent is illogical, if the OP is attempting to extrapolate his pleasant experience from Jomtien to Chiang Mai.

Not sure who was "pouring scorn", I only said it beats me why anyone finds the need to use an agent, unless they can't meet the criteria legally, and obviously my experience was at Jomtien (Pattaya) immigration, that's why it was posted in that forum. I can't comment on immigration offices elsewhere not having obtained my extensions anywhere other than Jomtien.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Rimmer said:

Had to make two journeys to Jomtien Immigration last year as the bank wrote 'current' account and not as it should have read 'deposit' account,  had to go back to the bank and get it re written,

How annoying. They really can be petty sometimes.

My bank uses some sort of head office template for these letters, and that seems a more sensible way of doing it. They just insert the name and date and balance details accordingly. They dont even charge me for the letter.

2 hours ago, catman20 said:

Did my 12 months retirement today. Why would anyone pay anagent to do it for them beats me.

Edited 17 hours ago by giddyup.  

because not everyone has the 800,000 necessary in the bank.

I think the illegal option should always be available to those folks who do not have sufficient funds to qualify either on  income or bank deposit. After all, we all want to stay here.............

1 minute ago, ratcatcher said:

I think the illegal option should always be available to those folks who do not have sufficient funds to qualify either on  income or bank deposit. After all, we all want to stay here.............

Then I guess you have no gripe with others entering the USA, Europe and the UK illegally either?

2 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

11.00 to 11.20 = 50 minutes ????

Read my opening post again. I said I was at my bank at 10.30 to obtain the bank letter, left immigration at 11.20 = total of 50 minutes, or it did when I went to school.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, DrTuner said:

If it's too easy, try extending on wife or work. 

Every Immigration office has slightly different rules and variations on the basic requirements.

I extend annually on being married and providing you have followed these requirements and triple checked all your paperwork and copies etc, it is no more hassle than a retirement extension, except your wife must accompany you and there's a 30 day approval period. Difficult for some guys, easy for others.

In this province, the Immigration officers are polite and friendly, but admittedly it is not a busy office. 

3 minutes ago, ratcatcher said:

Every Immigration office has slightly different rules and variations on the basic requirements.

I extend annually on being married and providing you have followed these requirements and triple checked all your paperwork and copies etc, it is no more hassle than a retirement extension, except your wife must accompany you and there's a 30 day approval period. Difficult for some guys, easy for others.

In this province, the Immigration officers are polite and friendly, but admittedly it is not a busy office. 

Don't you need photos, proof that you are cohabiting together etc?

3 minutes ago, giddyup said:

Then I guess you have no gripe with others entering the USA, Europe and the UK illegally either?

The people that use agents that provide a short term loan to qualify, have entered the country legally but are attempting to bypass the regulations regarding finances..

I was actually attempting to be facetious, as it is the immigration officers who are complicit in fraudulent applications.

But, you point is well taken.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, giddyup said:

Don't you need photos, proof that you are cohabiting together etc?

Yes, you need photos in and outside of the home, but that is an annual requirement. Not a problem for most people using this method.

The people that use agents that provide a short term loan to qualify, have entered the country legally but are attempting to bypass the regulations regarding finances..

I was actually attempting to be facetious, as it is the immigration officers who are complicit in fraudulent applications.

But, you point is well taken.

They may have entered legally, but they are fraudulently attempting to remain here.

• Like 1

Yes, you need photos in and outside of the home, but that is an annual requirement. Not a problem for most people using this method.

I'm sure for those that do it annually it is easy enough, but it's still not as simple as getting an extension using the 800,000 baht method.

• Like 1