How to sell my car in thailand when i'm in UK

Hi Guys

I have a toyota fortuner in thailand .. currently at the in-laws house parked up.
it does not look like i'm going to move back to thailand any time soon so want to sell it.
However... its on finance with toyota leasing .. only 5 payments left to make.
the toyota dealer has offered 480,000 baht for it. better than nothing.

but .. always a but.
to close the finance and sell it i assume i need to be there in thailand.

and toyota finance are telling me to close finance / sell car / change the name , i also need a residence certificate... I'm not there and if i come back it will be just to complete the sale so i'll be on a tourist visa..

anyone got any expericance of selling a car when on a tourist visa... i assume it is correct i need to be there otherwise anyone could sell it.  but the visa type is a problem.

Look up Expat Auto in Chiang Mai & direct your questions to them.....

You might not be near the CM area but the answers should be solid + maybe they can assist with the paperwork for a long distance transaction.....

It's no problem to sell a vehicle when not in the country, you just have to add a copy of your last Thai exit stamp from your passport to the otherwise required documents. Then the buyer can take this to the DLT and change it to his name.

The problem is that the car is not in your name but in the name of the finance company and to transfer it in your name you would have to be in Thailand (It depends on the province if you can transfer it to your name while on a tourist visa, in for example Bangkok you can't). So you have to contact the finance company and ask them if they can transfer it in another persons name after you paid it off. Or you would need somebody who takes over the finance from you. But this all depends on your finance company, so you have to ask them.

Edited by jackdd

I also sold mine after I had officially left Thailand, so I had reentered Thailand on a Visa Exemption, for 30 days. I had to make copies of my 30 Exemption and sign them, the new owner then took those the Vehicle Registration office for the transfer. I was not still in the country when he actually changes the registration, I had already departed (and the 30 days had expired). I also gave copies of my last official Visa from when I was living there.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, jackdd said:

It's no problem to sell a vehicle when not in the country, you just have to add a copy of your last Thai exit stamp from your passport to the otherwise required documents. Then the buyer can take this to the DLT and change it to his name.

Many DLTs demand a 'current' permission to stay.. 

Happened to me (luckily the seller was a mate and returned to Thailand a few months later.. Happened to a mate of mine who left Thailand under a cloud and trapped 3 big bikes in his name.. 

Its an officer discretion thing.. But if they demand it hard to solve. 

Not sure about the visa or finance issues. But you can sign a power of attorney over to the buyer, provide all the necessary documentation and the buyer can change registration in your absence. We bought a car with the sellers power of attorney to us without problem.

On 7/25/2018 at 9:00 AM, malt25 said:

PM me if your car is anywhere in the BKK area.

it will be sort of near BKK.

I'll be flying into BKK and the car will be brought to me at the airport

its currently near Sakaoe .. and its the Toyota dealer near there whos offered to buy it .. bargain for a 2010 fortuner 3.0d really .. someone i know sold a 2007 model last week for 500k ... but i really would not have the time to deal with advertising and viewings to get extra $$$.

sent my passport off now to thai embassy UK to get a non-o visa as too risky to fly over if there could be any issues with a tourist visa.

my plan is/was arrive bkk .. then down to jomtien for a few days and get the residence paper if i can.. then see if the local dealer offers the same price ..

if not back up to sakaoe to sell the beast.

You need a certificate of residence for both buying and selling a car/motorbike.
The law came into affect August 1st 2017.
It's annoying yes but it's a good safeguard against farangs being defrauded.

Sent from my EVA-L19 using Tapatalk