Cleaning drum on front-load washer

JTXR

Back in the U.S., I only had top-loading washers, so I'm still getting used to the oddities of a front-loader.

My washer has a "drum clean" cycle.  I've read some places that you just run it without detergent or any other cleaning product, but other places (online) say you can use special cleaners when running this cycle.  What's your experience?  If you can use a cleaning product, which ones for sale in BKK are good?

Thanks.

What does the instruction book say (should be available online)?

I don't recall ever actually cleaning any of our washers, the hot wash (for cotton items) pretty much guarantees anything building up will be removed.

LG say use chlorine bleach and no detergent, 

https://www.lg.com/us/support/answers/front-load-washers2013/caring-for-front-load-washer

Once a month I run my Samsung washer on a regular cycle, minimal water & about a litre of vinegar. Works a treat. Vinegar extremely inexpensive. Some years back a washing machine tech told me the biggest cause of "muck" in a machine is fabric softener. Apparently it never dissolves in the water completely.

On 7/25/2018 at 10:24 AM, Crossy said:

.... the hot wash (for cotton items) pretty much guarantees anything building up will be removed.

I wonder how many washing machines sold in Thailand use hot water? Mine certainly doesn't, and when I was buying mine I dont remember seeing any with temperature controls.

22 minutes ago, KittenKong said:

I wonder how many washing machines sold in Thailand use hot water? Mine certainly doesn't, and when I was buying mine I dont remember seeing any with temperature controls.

Our front loader is cold-fill and has a heater.

20180727_091324.jpg

1 hour ago, Crossy said:

Our front loader is cold-fill and has a heater.

20180727_091324.jpg

As is the last washing machine I bought in the UK which was over 10 years ago.........

I wish my LEDs on my Electrolux machine here were as clear as that Crossy. They are almost impossible to read most of the time now. Mind you I have had it for nearly 8 years........

2 hours ago, KittenKong said:

I bought an imported Whirlpool top-loader from Power Buy about 12 years ago. It has separate hot and cold water inlets. I installed a water heater in the kitchen for the kitchen sink and the washing machine. Just pulled the machine apart to do a major clean and degunking and it should be good for another dozen years or so. Usually the gearbox craters on these machines marking end-of-life.

The Siemens 8 kg front-loader we used to have in a home rental is the same model that we own now and has an internal water heater. Mrs NL was so impressed with the one in the rental unit, she insisted on my buying exactly the same model.

We also have a cheap Toshiba top-loader for the third-worlders and AFAIK that is single inlet and has no water heater.

After I bought the Whirlpool, I was told by my mate that laundry detergents in Thailand were specially formulated for cold water only use and I would have problems keeping the machine clean. It worked well while under 'farang supervision' but after we moved away, everyone complained that clothes didn't come out clean any more. After stripping it down, I can see why! Too much soap and too much clothes in each load.

The choices of detergent is much wider now and judging by the labeling, probably reformulated for these "new-fangled" hot-water machines.

As for cleaning; as previously mentioned, vinegar or bleach added to a standard, clothes-less wash/rinse cycle seems to work. If the machine is heavily gunked up, HomePro sells a product specifically for cleaning clothes and dish washers. Imported, HG brand and about 480 baht a pack. I had to use the pressure washer and loads of Farcent cleaning cloths and elbow grease to sort out the Whirlpool.

hg.jpg.31fe8cb9dc4789acb19137666bd76459.jpg

farcent.jpg.e87551175454715d5d99e1971166f2aa.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies, guys. 

My Samsung washer didn't have a manual, and I couldn't find one for the exact model online, but I just found one for a model with the same cleaning cycle ("Eco Drum Clean").  Turns out it specifically says not to use a cleaner.  Guess it does depend on the make and model.