I've read about the TM30 registration rules but until yesterday largely ignored the issue. However, a friend went to Jomtien immigration for a  residence certificate to allow him to obtain new drivers license and, having not lodged TM 30 on arrival in Thailand, was slapped with a B1,600 fine (he was told this can go as high as B10,00 depending how long you have been in Thailand) . He owns the property he lives in so the problem was minor.

My query is - what if my landlord refuses to fill in the first part of the TM30 for my up and coming license?

I know he is responsible but may not want to declare to much of his business affairs with the authorities!

Any suggestions please.

2 hours ago, Stuart F said:

My query is - what if my landlord refuses to fill in the first part of the TM30 for my up and coming license?

If you haven't already filed a TM30 at Jomtien, then your probably going to get slapped with a fine anyway.

If you have filed, then getting a CofR for your upcoming licence renewal shouldn't be a problem.

For the purpose of compliance with the Immigration Act the OP is the "house master", or the chief possessor of the residence in his capacity of tenant, as defined in section 4 of the Immigration Act.

Section 38 allows immigration to accept the TM.30 either from the house master (in this case the tenant) or from the possessor (in this case the tenant) or from the owner (in this case the person to whom the OP refers as the landlord)

• Like 2

I will be arriving in Phuket from o/s, staying in Patong for a few days till I find permanent Accom. In Rawai. So, within 24 hours of arriving I have to report to immigration, TM 30, then when I move to Rawai, back to Imm. With another TM 30. Is this correct. 

30 minutes ago, cleverman said:

I will be arriving in Phuket from o/s, staying in Patong for a few days till I find permanent Accom. In Rawai. So, within 24 hours of arriving I have to report to immigration, TM 30, then when I move to Rawai, back to Imm. With another TM 30. Is this correct. 

Plus a TM28 to notify a change of address.

2 minutes ago, cleverman said:

Dunno if ya fair dink or not. So a tourist travelling around could be up for dozens of TMs!

I assumed that with the OP saying  "staying in Patong for a few days till I find permanent Accom" he was not a tourist but was going to be looking for somewhere to live permanently.

16 minutes ago, cleverman said:

Dunno if ya fair dink or not. So a tourist travelling around could be up for dozens of TMs!

Not unless they had do something at certain immigration offices. I think a lot of tourist have never done a report of any kind.

22 minutes ago, sumrit said:

I assumed that with the OP saying  "staying in Patong for a few days till I find permanent Accom" he was not a tourist but was going to be looking for somewhere to live permanently.

Coming on a tourist visa, with the intent to stay permantly.

2 hours ago, cleverman said:

If you stay in a hotel for a few days, then they are responsible for the report, not you.

A typical tourist would pre book hotel accommodation in advance and has no need to worry about a TM30.

Fines for hotels, which are a commercially run business, are more severe than for a privately rented residential accommodation.

If you stay in a private residential property, then it is not purely the owner who has to make the report.

In this situation the law states the Housemaster, the Owner, or the Possessor can all be responsible.

The Housemaster is defined as; 

“ House Master ” means any persons who is the chief possessor of a house , whether in the capacity of
owner , tenant , or in any other capacity whatsoever , in accordance with the law on people act.

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Wallander4 said:

We demand to have it put in lease contract - "TM30 need to be done in 3 days or contract is void"  …

That seems rather pointless and doesn't comply with the law as it stands anyway.

3 hours ago, cleverman said:

Actually some have no choice other than to stay on Tourist Visas due to Immigrations regulations.

If your single, you can't obtain a retirement extension until your 50.

Plenty of financially secure under 50's in Thailand.

Thai Elite is expensive and 'dead' money, when there is no law on the number of entries into Thailand on a TV and is a viable option for many in this position.

FYI - I updated my TM30 recently 2nd floor Immigration Promenade 4 days after arriving back in the country.  I arrived at 8.15am and took queue ticket. I handed my passport and Chanote to the immigration clerk lady who checked my previous stamped TM30 slip then stamped it again with new date and handed me back my passport! All done in 30 mins!

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, cleverman said:

The OP doesn't say they are arriving on a tourist visa, on ly hat they are looking for a permanent residence.

5 hours ago, ChiangMaiLightning2143 said:

Coming too many times a year.

Spending more than 180 days per year in Thailand

Insufficient cash in hand, not allowed to go ATM or show bank balance on mobile.

Being a Philippina

Being Indian

Suspected of working illegally, (No way to prove a negative)

Your obviously very naïve.

4 hours ago, xMode said:

Does the address declared on the TM-6 not satisfy the address reporting requirement?

No, there are two parts to the reporting process according to the Immigration Act.

The TM6 notifies your intended place of stay, which will be stored in the central database.

Section 37 deals with the responsibility of the foreigner thereafter, such as advising a change in address to your local IO (TM28).

Section 38 deals with the responsibility of the hotel or private residence  to report your arrival to the local IO. (TM30).

Not all offices enforce section 38.

Edited by Tanoshi

6 hours ago, tracy3eyes said:

FYI - I updated my TM30

I handed my passport and Chanote to the immigration

do you show them the original chanote or just a copy?

i'm planning to move into my newly renovated condo for the first time, but i don't have the original chanote here in thailand (it's back in australia).  i don't have the tabien baan yet either.

does anyone know if i can do a TM30 with just a scanned copy of my chanote?

Edited by richard1977

59 minutes ago, richard1977 said:

Signed copy of your Chanute is fine.

You should have also been given a Blue Tabien Baan upon purchase, although you cannot be named in it. 

Bangkok don't enforce filing a TM30.

Edited by Tanoshi

13 hours ago, richard1977 said:

do you show them the original chanote or just a copy?

i'm planning to move into my newly renovated condo for the first time, but i don't have the original chanote here in thailand (it's back in australia).  i don't have the tabien baan yet either.

I always take both! A copy maybe OK. Worth a try!