Retirement ext financial requirements increase

15 minutes ago, JLCrab said:

A grandfather clause was initiated in 2008 as per 777/2551 2.22(6) that only applied to persons who had been on consecutive stay based upon retirement since 1998 or for 10 years consecutively. Take that as you will.

I know it was in the police order done in 2006 as well but have not been able find a copy of it yet.

The grandfathering was put in the police order when the requirements were increased which I think was done in 2003.

We live comfortably on about 40,000 baht a month (my retirement income is significantly higher, or course) in rural Buriram. We drink beer and eat what we want, house and truck are paid for.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

I know it was in the police order done in 2006 as well but have not been able find a copy of it yet.

The grandfathering was put in the police order when the requirements were increased which I think was done in 2003.

Regardless of the dates, when people on here say that: 'Well if there's a change in retirement extension requirements there'll be a grandfather provision clasue', that grandfather provision might only be available to those who have been on consecutive extension of stay for at least x number of years and not maybe to those who have been on the extension for less than x number of years.

Edited by JLCrab

20 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Police order 606/2549

That police order replaces police order 110/2546, which I think is where the new financial requirements were introduced.

Sophon

6 minutes ago, WorriedNoodle said:

Does grandfathering include those of us who have switched between extension types on a continuous basis? I started on a marriage extension about 10 years ago and switched to retirement a couple years ago as it was easier to do.

If they did raise the requirements would be grandfathered for those already on extensions at the time the change was done.

The last change was to due to the devaluation of the baht in 1997. They picked a date in 1998 for some reason.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Happy enough said:

there was an italian bloke on here the other day who said he gets paid 18k a month. i can only assume he had accommodation and food for free. how the hell can someone get by on 18k. i know some do but i'd rather not live in thailand on that kind of money, it's not worth it. soi food and water, great fun

Its suprising how cheap fresh healthy food is. A single guy can quite easily live on less than that eating three square meals a day with some western snacks and a few beers every few days. A large chicken breast is only 12/13 Baht, fresh fish and prawns very cheap, even including steak and salmon would be hard pushed to exhaust 600 Baht a day. Of course setting aside some for toiletries, transport etc, it can be done including a nice gym membership and the odd trip away. As for the OP, there have been numerous threads over the years amounting to nothing more than scaremongering.

2 hours ago, Kaoboi Bebobp said:

Boosting the monthly foreigner income level to 100,000 a month for an extension would not surprise me. I recently figured I'd really need about 80,000-90,000 a month to live a Bangkok lifestyle with only the day-to-day expenses of groceries, restaurant meals, drinks, transport and medical/drugs, plus rent. That's without any Nana/Cowboy or family/wife/GF expenditures. 

Perhaps they should have a different requirement amount for single retired persons and for those farangs that have to look after the Girlfriend and 3 kids, Mummy and Daddy, 2 aunts and 3 uncles plus the 5 siblings plus supply 2 or 3 motorbikes and rent a house and buy the food?

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, stevenl said:

Agree. But change in marriage extension requirements seems more likely to me than change in retirement extension requirements.

I would say the opposite. The main reason to increase financial requirements would be to control numbers. I can see that happening at some point for retirement extensions, but not spouse extensions unless the authorities believe the 40K/400K isn't enough to live on.

10 minutes ago, baansgr said:

Its suprising how cheap fresh healthy food is. A single guy can quite easily live on less than that eating three square meals a day with some western snacks and a few beers every few days. A large chicken breast is only 12/13 Baht, fresh fish and prawns very cheap, even including steak and salmon would be hard pushed to exhaust 600 Baht a day. Of course setting aside some for toiletries, transport etc, it can be done including a nice gym membership and the odd trip away. As for the OP, there have been numerous threads over the years amounting to nothing more than scaremongering.

most guys i know up in bkk spend more than 18k just on their rent. but i know it can be done, i know a few guys that live on next to nothing but they live a pretty shitty life IMO. rooms with no windows or aircon and they generally live of soi food as they don't have a kitchen to cook in. if i had to live like that i wouldn't live here, no chance

• Like 2

1 hour ago, overherebc said:

We are not loaded, well I'm not ? however we do live what I woulld call a normal married life. Don't have family, kids and other hanger ons' living with us.

I'm retired ( BOF ? ) don't have a mortgage and cars paid off. Don't have kids but that's choice for both of us.

Expenses are utilities and food at home, both of us enjoy cooking so don't do a lot a of eating out in restaurants, we do have good nights having a barbie with friends etc.

To get back on topic if they bump the married or retired requirement we both agree we'll sell the house here on the coast buy a smallapartment in Spain Italy or somewhere and rotate between there and the Bangkok house. My pensions will go with me and my wife's income from the condos her father left her will go with us as well.

It won't break the Thai economy but at least we will know that the visa requirements will be more stable and not change every 6 months. I know they don't change as often as that but you sure as hell get the impression they do, or will next week.

Will you take your rat-catching hunting dogs with you?

19 minutes ago, ratcatcher said:

In all honesty we will take one. The GSD is now 10 and it wouldn't be fair to her. A few friends I know and trust have already said they would be more than happy and look after her.

As for the other little sh-t who is about 7 she would have to come with us. Impossible for her to stay with anyone apart from me and my wife.

You touched a nerve there and prompted a serious post from me.

I'll PM you.

Edited by overherebc
  • Haha 1

I didn't come on here to predict what kind of grandfathering arrangement there might be to any change in retirement extension of stay financial requirements only to show what they did last time it happened. That aside, I think anyone should do there best to keep as many consecutive extensions of retirement as possible.

Back to the posters quote, that the officer said the cost of living was rising rapidly and 800,000 was insuffficient.

I don't pay rent, but I do pay everything else and live well, I have a car and I smoke, but don't drink, I usually have change out of 20,000 baht a month. Considering that an average wage for a Thai is around 9,000 a month or around 108,000 annually I cannot relate to why the government  would feel the need to increase the amount to what would be over over 7 years income for the average Thai. 

12 hours ago, theguyfromanotherforum said:

Why?

Why not? Just my gut feeling.

And many retirees and married people are living in similar circumstances, so I would think Thai authorities think the married requirements are relatively easy compared to the retirement.

But as I said, I don't believe the rumour in the first place, even stronger, I think threads like this should not be on the open forum, some people will panic without a just cause.

Edited by stevenl
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Police Order 2006.

(1) Foreigner shall obtains VISA for

temporary stay and,

(2) Shall not be younger than 50

years old and,

(3) Having evidence showing the

monthly income not less than

65,000 Baht or,

(4) Having the records of saving

money in the latest 3 months of

account book of any Bank in

Thailand not less than 800,000

Baht or,

(5) Having annual income

combined with the saving

money in the Bank not less than

800,000 Baht from on the date

submitting the application.

(6) Foreign national who enters the

Kingdom of Thailand before the

21st October 1998 and has been

permitted to stay in Thailand in

case retirement shall be applied

to the criterions as follows:-

(a) Person who has the age from 60

years old and have the certain

income, with the saving money

in the Bank not less than

200,000 year per year and show

the latest 3 months records of

the passbook, or have the

monthly income not less than

20,000 Baht.

(b) Person who has the age lower

than 60 years old but not less

than 55 years old who have the

certain income with the saving

money in the Bank not less than

500,000 Baht per year and

show the latest 3 months

records of the passbook, or

have the monthly income not

less than 50,000 Baht.

So regardless whether it was 2008, 2006, or maybe 2003, there was still some period of years back to 1998 where there had to be years of stay consecutive or otherwise to qualify for the grandfather provision.

18 minutes ago, JLCrab said:

So regardless whether it was 2008, 2006, or maybe 2003, there was still some period of years back to 1998 where there had to be years of stay consecutive or otherwise to qualify for the grandfather provision.

It was 2003. 

When they increased the requirements you had to be on an extension of stay prior to October 21st of 1998 and meet the age requirements on that date to be grandfathered and to of stayed on an extension since that date. Not sure there are many people around that are still applying under those clauses.

19 minutes ago, JLCrab said:

So in 2003, it required that you had to have been on retirement extension of stay since 1998 or for 5 years.

The number of years on them was not written in the order. You just had to be on an extension on October 21, 1998 and meet the other requirements on that date.

It think October 21, 1998 was the date a police order was issued that raised the requirements to 500k baht but I am not sure. Hard to find info going back that far.

Edit: I vaguely recall talking to a person in 1999 that had just gotten an extension based upon income and it was 50k baht then.

14 hours ago, wgdanson said:

So what about us happy retirees who have built and paid for their house in the 'sticks', have a stable, loving relationship, live a reasonable lifestyle away from Nana & Cowboy, and can manage quite comfortably on Bht 50,000 a month. Should we have to prove an income of Bht 100,000.

anyone posting here today on a Retirement extensions now, will be grandfathered in

so who gives a F#@K>

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, phuketrichard said:

anyone posting here today on a Retirement extensions now, will be grandfathered in

so who gives a F#@K>

As per precedent, it may be that anyone who has been on an extension of stay via retirement for at least 5 years will be grandfathered in which is why it is so important but it seems often overlooked to maintain consecutive extensions of stay.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, ratcatcher said:

When in Cha-am for my 4 months on 2/3 months back in Aus life ...lovely place.  I walk 8kms each morning.  My biggest worry is the Soi dogs, perhaps hundreds of them.  I always have a few rocks in my pockets, carry an umbrella, not for the rain but to ward off these dogs that snarl at me, a few would bite me if they could.   My latest discovery is that if I walk on the beach waters edge they can't sneak up on me, I've only been attacked once when walking on the waters edge.   Dogs don't like salt water much.  I just love that 25km long sometimes 200 metre wide beach at low tide. ( don't tell anyone how good it is).  A few more Farangs with a bit of cash would be OK, not too many though.  Just enough to help the bar girls feed their children.   The new Heu Hin to KL AirAsia service makes Cha-am an easy place to get to (but don't tell to many people).  Just all lovely.

Edited by David Walden
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, overherebc said:

My wife and I live on 5,000 baht a month and sometimes find it difficult to fill the tanks on the merc and the SUV.

Food is tight sometimes so we let the dogs out and they might bring back a cat or a couple of dead rats. Bit of chilli powder and you've got a good meal.

Haven't paid the maid for a few months but she knows we're good for the money sometime.

We do have a couple of other problems but so minor I won't burden any of you with them.

Did you know you can get extra protein by opening up your septic tank? Frogs love to breed in there.

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Did you know you can get extra protein by opening up your septic tank? Frogs love to breed in there.

Sshhhh. Don't tell everyone.

Just make sure you net the ones that move.

Edited by overherebc
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Happy enough said:

there was an italian bloke on here the other day who said he gets paid 18k a month. i can only assume he had accommodation and food for free. how the hell can someone get by on 18k. i know some do but i'd rather not live in thailand on that kind of money, it's not worth it. soi food and water, great fun

Try living on 18k in the US.... HAHA