One in five Brits are too nervous to drive abroad – and almost half worry about accidentally breaking a road rules on holiday

webfact

When i first came to Thailand from the UK everyone said how dangerous it was to drive here. When i got behind the wheel i didn't find it an issue (that was 8 years ago, a lot more traffic now). Mind you i did cut my teeth driving in the Libyan desert (for many years worse record than Thailand, plus a few old landmines out in the desert too!).

As said by someone, UK now induces more paranoia. Speed traps, average speed cameras and my pet hate cameras on London roads where the road morphs into a one way or bus only route with the only sign stuck between 2 trees. I don't drive in central London anymore when i visit.

• Like 1

On 7/26/2018 at 8:13 AM, DeepState said:

I'd be more nervous driving in the euro nanny states , where breaking a trafic rule means SKYHIGH fines to pay.

Doing a red light in Germany is a serious offense. 

https://www.bussgeldkatalog.org/german-driving-laws/  when I'm reading only a few sentences then I'm okay with the laws here. 

51 minutes ago, jenny2017 said:

Doing a red light in Germany is a serious offense. ...

Having German ancestors, I would never run a red light.  I'll go through an orange light with a pink blush, but not red. 

On 7/26/2018 at 10:57 AM, korkenzieher said:

As a Brit, I'm more paranoid about driving in the UK than almost any other place. Cameras on every corner. More restrictions than you can shake a stick at. Police roadside traps. Rude / obnoxious road users, flipping the bird at the slightest pilot error.

I would simply guess that most Brits *expect* it to be worse outside the UK, when in fact, it is mostly much better - certain countries aside purely on local safety records.

Quite true, Brits are nervous about driving as a result of their experiences in Britain due to the many ways you can get caught out nowadays. Most of Asia is really a doddle in comparison, and in Thailand traffic even drives on the left. One thing they do have reason to be nervous about out here though is police corruption. 

1 minute ago, lamyai3 said:

Quite true, Brits are nervous about driving as a result of their experiences in Britain due to the many ways you can get caught out nowadays. Most of Asia is really a doddle in comparison, and in Thailand traffic even drives on the left. One thing they do have reason to be nervous about out here though is police corruption. 

Well, some of the time anyway.

• Haha 1